Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 AM

230 posts, read 535,821 times

Advertisements

This has probably been mentioned on other forums, but I find it highly surprising just how urbanized Canada as a whole is. In fact, apparently 80% of the population lives on just 2% of the land mass.

Being from New Hampshire, a fundamentally rural state and a generally rural region of the U.S. (northern New England), I find it unfortunate that most Canadians choose to live away from nature rather than in it (putting aside weekends at "the cottage"). They would evidently rather live in very crammed towns and cities on very small lots, or at least by American standards. This is not just a reflection of the GTA but Canada as a whole; I've done a lot of traveling in the country and this seems to be the norm.

It's a shame because Canada is a vast beautiful country. Why isn't it easier to live in "the sticks" here? Back home it's pretty much the norm, though interestingly a lot of the rural areas are actually very developed in the sense that they have (relatively) good hospitals, schools, high-speed internet, cell phone service, etc., but here the rural areas consist of one home every 10 miles or so with no sort of downtown or anything. Additionally, jobs basically don't seem to exist and land/homes seem absurdly expensive for what you're paying for.

I came here because I didn't want to deal with the oppressive sense of insecurity that exists with life in the US. I don't want to get into a political debate but I still do feel Canada has far more to offer than the US in terms of providing stability to a young couple with children just starting out. I still appreciate what this country has given us, but I'm finding it increasingly frustrating because I also greatly desire to provide my family with a house and land where we can thrive and enjoy nature. We had it in NH and it just seems to be impossible here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 09:31 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,957 times
You are comparing GTA to NH?.. It is similar to comparing NH to NYC. There are plenty of smaller towns with large rural communities. You are likely seeing high prices if you are looking near GTA as it's considered cottage country and goes at a premium. If you look throughout southern ontario you would likely find something a lot more rural. Look at the dozens of towns between Windsor, London and Hamilton.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:56 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Are you sure that this is really an unachievable dream in southern Ontario? Maybe you should explore the region a bit more before giving up on it.

Sure, it's not like New England, but then few parts of this continent are. Today's small towns in New England back in the day were often considered to be largish cities, and have amenities and character that reflect this.

But outside of New England in the U.S. it is not the same. It is much like Ontario, which is why people often say southern Ontario resembles upstate New York and the U.S. Midwest.

Also, the U.S. is roughly as urbanized as Canada is. 75-80% of Americans live in metro areas, on something like 3% of the land mass.

There *are* more interesting rural areas in the U.S. in Canada simply because there are 10 times more Americans than Canadians.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,095,522 times
So your ideal house would be on a large lot, surrounded by wilderness but relatively affordable and still close to relatively substantial employment? Maybe in the Barrie area, or in the areas from Cobourg to Cornwall? Maybe Alberta, the Okanagan Valley or the Maritimes, depending on your profession?

Old 11-29-2011, 11:55 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,810 times
It's not really that different from the US... the only difference is that more people live in rural areas in the warmer areas of the US. It's still something like a 75/25 split, though.

I'd take multiple Canadian cities' views over many US ones though... Toronto and Lake Ontario, Montreal and Mont Royal/Fleuve St-Laurent, Quebec... well, is just beautiful naturally... Halifax and the Atlantic and the Bluffs, Winnipeg and nearby Lake Winnipeg, Calgary and the Rockies, Vancouver/Victoria and the immense beauty that surrounds that area... even the more plain cities of Regina, Saskatoon, and Edmonton have a beautiful charm to them.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:59 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
This has probably been mentioned on other forums, but I find it highly surprising just how urbanized Canada as a whole is. In fact, apparently 80% of the population lives on just 2% of the land mass.

Well we have a population of 35 million people and are the second largest country in the world... added to the fact that the most of the very north is part of the Arctic and the main issue is getting supplies up there for the little towns... Which rely on gettingit by air frieght makes the price of everything super expensive.

It also has to do with trade since our number buisness partner is the US it makes sense to build out cities, warehouses and factories close to the US border to cut buiness costs and save time.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:03 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
To put things in perspective, in NH, there are 147 people per square mile according to the latest census. Ontario, with the largest population by far in Canada has 36.

How could you live in such cramped conditions?

Old 11-29-2011, 05:07 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,907 times
Try St. Thomas or Chatham-Kent for affordable rural life in Southern Ontario. You won't find it anywhere near the GTA.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:40 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Living out in the boondocks maybe great for some but ultimately you gotta go to work,most of which is located much closer to civilization.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:39 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Let me suggest the Kingston area to you. It's just so beautiful around there and very affordable also. It's actually reminds me a lot of parts of New England. It was largely settled by United Empire Loyalists who left New England during the American revolution. There is also a lot of French culture close by and that makes it very interesting and diverse. The smaller towns around those parts are very nice and yet still close to Larger centres like Kingston, Cornwall or even Ottawa. It's also close to the USA but the USA in those parts is very undeveloped so there is not much in the way of good USA mall shopping like there is here in Niagara.

The Niagara area would be well worth checking out also. There are lots of small towns and much rural living in these parts. Prices are very reasonable though a bit more than the Kingston area. If you like beach style living there are lots of good places on the Niagara region's lake Erie shores. If you like hills and dales and rocks there are lots of places all along the Escartment for beautiful views and fabulous geography. Some of the rural areas just outside St Catherines are the most beautiful places I have ever seen and I have been around let me tell you. All 48 lower states and all of Canada. The thing I like most about the location of Niagara is that no matter how far off in the boonies you are you are still never far from a fairly big city. On the Lake Erie shores, Ft. Erie and Buffalo, The escartment, St. Catherines Niagara falls and Hamilton. Personally I don't like the Welland and Pt. Colbourne areas so I avoid them and don't really know too much about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada