Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 07:20 PM

24 posts, read 111,545 times

Advertisements

hey everyone! I need your opinion about Red Deer and maybe Sylvan Lake too if you know anything about it.

We are a young couple from Montreal. my husband is an immigrant and we have a 5 years old son.

What I mostly want to know is if this place is friendly with people from other country or with a french accent (like me!!)...

About the night life or cultural scene, its not something we are interested in... but is it easy to make friends there?

So any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!! I've seen videos on youtube and they were great, but it was mostly publicity for tourism...

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 PM

311 posts, read 1,138,417 times
I have been to Red Deer numerous times. It has a very small town feel so most people would be accepting and friendly their like all other towns. Despite having almost 100k people, Red Deer is very slow paced and kind of sleepy. It is very small. But the people should be friendly because of it's size and you should have no problem adjusting and making friends even with speaking french. But then again, it is Alberta we are talking about lol. Sylvan Lake is the same, even smaller and more like a community with nice lake near by.It is a huge difference from Montreal. In my opinion, I'm not fan of Red Deer at all. There's not much going on and not a lot of entertainment. Seems more like a village to me. Again, you shouldn't find much trouble meeting people and making friends. Now finding jobs is another issue. haha.

Last edited by ExtremeMan8; 12-30-2011 at 08:01 PM..

Old 12-30-2011, 08:01 PM

377 posts, read 1,695,482 times
Of all Alberta's small cities, Red Deer is probably one of the best.

It's a friendly, clean and affluent area within relatively close proximity to both Edmonton and Calgary.

It's population has almost doubled over the past 15 or so years. Most of the new residents have seemed to come from other provinces, so you'll likely meet many other transplants.

That said, many old school Albertans were around to witness the devastation of Pierre Trudeau's National Energy Policy. Those who remember this are very anti-Quebec and may not receive you warmly at first. If the issue of Quebec politics, or the federal Liberal party ever come up in conversation (and it will) best to try to diffuse the situation by agreeing with whatever they say.

I have plenty of extended family in Central Alberta, and the responses I received from some of them when I left the West to move to Ontario (They generalize all of Eastern Canada as one) were downright nasty in some cases.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:11 AM

24 posts, read 111,545 times
Thanks for both of you! Very interesting!

Old 12-31-2011, 01:33 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
best to try to diffuse the situation by agreeing with whatever they say.
What a wonderful philosophy you have.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:16 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,285,161 times
Red Deer is becoming affluent, but is still firmly redneck. Sylvan is nice, but it's a tourist town. Insanely busy during the summer and a ghost town in the winter. Very expensive, as everyone wants to go to the "lake" It's reminiscent of Ontario cottage country, but a micro version.

You shouldn't have problems meeting anyone, although the population is predominantly caucasian, and not the most cultured. It is a farming/oil & gas town, but all the basic amenities are there.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:59 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,779 times
I've been to Red Deer twice and both times I have been unimpressed. It certainly has the convience of being midway between Calgary and Edmonoton but I think the city itself has a lot to be desired.
I think Lethbridge is not only a far prettier city but with the university it seems more cultured and has a lively downtown. It aslo has a far more moderate climate than Red Deer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada