Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 01:34 PM

34 posts, read 64,269 times

Advertisements

Im thinking of going to canada for a vacation. I will only have a week to spend so Im going to be staying in one city. Can anyone tell me which of the three largest Canadian cities would be the most exciting to spend a week in. My first choice is Toronto but Ive heard alot of good things about Montreal and Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 03:14 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,873 times
Hard to answer without some details. All 3 are good destinations. People have quite different ideas of what they find exciting
what kind of things do you like to do/see?
what other cities have you visited , enjoyed and why?

Old 05-06-2012, 03:20 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,873 times
There are a few threads you might find helpful. Read up on the recommendations in each and compare. I used the search feature of the forum to find these
Toronto
Toronto in June.....What to do, where to stay?
Clevelander Looking to Visit your Fair City!! Where to go and What to see
Montreal
Visiting Montreal...
Visit to Montreal
Vancouver
Vancouver roadtrip for a couple of days!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:31 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
If your vacation is in the summer, do you want hot or cool weather?

Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
I've lived in Vancouver and Montreal and visit Toronto frequently to see family and explore.

Vancouver is a gorgeous city that's quite nice to visit, but I think you'd find it a bit boring for a week. Essentially, Vancouver is all about its lush natural surroundings. It has great wild beaches and primeval forests. It has soaring mountains which are great to go skiing, hiking or paragliding from. It has beautiful modern architecture and lush gardens. But, as an urban experience, it doesn't offer all that much beyond beautiful things to look at. There's fun to be had, but aside from bars and restaurants there's not much for tourists to do. What sets it apart is that it's very beautiful, but it can be a bit of a sterile, no-fun kind of place sometimes. I could recommend it as a base to explore the surrounding parts of the province, and it's a great place for long weekend trip.

Montreal has my vote as the place that you should come visit. It just has a special kind of vibe. It's unpretentious, the cheapest city in Canada, and it just has so much to do. You can rent a bixi bike and explore the unparalleled Plateau Mont-Royal neighbourhood. Relax and have a picnic and a bottle of wine on Mount Royal as dozen jam at the Tam tams in the shadow of a hundred foot cenotaph. You can see all the four great museums at the Montreal Science Complex, like the indoor Biodome zoo where you can walk through artificially created environments like rainforest. There are countless great festivals to attend, in the summer, like the world famous Montreal international jazz festival and Just for Laughs comedy festival. There's the charm of the old port and Canada's old financial district on St. James street. It's just an old city with a great metro system and alot to do in small area. A perfect city for a tourist without a car and it's charms are obvious and accessible.

Toronto is a great city, but it has two strikes against it compared to Montreal. One, being such a large city, it's charms are not obvious to the uninitiated. There are things to do, but they aren't usually big and accessible to tourists, with the exception of the ROM and CN tower. It's difficult to find one's way around such a big city, and frankly, it's not all that fun without a Torontonian to show you where the fun is to be had. Two, it's a much newer city, and as such, its attractions are more spread out and it has less charming historic architecture. Toronto is, however, a vibrant city where on can have fun. It's also very culturally diverse and there's lots of great ethnic neighbourhoods to explore where you can find things from all over the world! It's like travelling the whole world in one city when you go to Toronto. But at the same time, it's an English speaking city and is a little less of a unique cultural experience than visiting Quebec, which is what tipped the scales in Montreal's favour for me.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 AM

364 posts, read 1,192,818 times
What are your interests? Culture/History? Entertainment/Excitement? Outdoors/Nature?

Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Montreal has my vote as the place that you should come visit. It just has a special kind of vibe. It's unpretentious, the cheapest city in Canada, and it just has so much to do. You can rent a bixi bike and explore the unparalleled Plateau Mont-Royal neighbourhood. Relax and have a picnic and a bottle of wine on Mount Royal as dozen jam at the Tam tams in the shadow of a hundred foot cenotaph. You can see all the four great museums at the Montreal Science Complex, like the indoor Biodome zoo where you can walk through artificially created environments like rainforest. There are countless great festivals to attend, in the summer, like the world famous Montreal international jazz festival and Just for Laughs comedy festival. There's the charm of the old port and Canada's old financial district on St. James street. It's just an old city with a great metro system and alot to do in small area. A perfect city for a tourist without a car and it's charms are obvious and accessible.
Montreal also has the advantage of being 230 km away from Quebec City which makes a great side trip as well.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:33 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Montreal also has the advantage of being 230 km away from Quebec City which makes a great side trip as well.
True, and even closer to Ottawa which is nice too, but not as nice as Quebec.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 PM

311 posts, read 1,138,881 times
It depends on what your interest are. When are you going? I would say generally Montreal would be best out of the 3 for a week vacation and there would be lot's to see and do there. It would be my first choice. There is a nice European feel there and there are a lot of cool sights to see. If you like architecture and lot's of culture and character, Montreal would be best. Vancouver is good if you are a nature lover, but for a few days only because it may get boring for a full week and the weather may be a little cool in the summer compared to the other places. Toronto is best if your looking for a large American type city with lots of shopping, entertainment and sights. But I would choose Montreal overall. It would be my favorite for me.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 PM

311 posts, read 1,138,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I've lived in Vancouver and Montreal and visit Toronto frequently to see family and explore.

Isn't Ottawa the cheapest? I heard that out of the big cities, Ottawa is cheapest. Montreal is 2nd after Ottawa I heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada