Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 08:52 PM

63 posts, read 75,328 times

Advertisements

British Columbia is still a fairly young part of the country. I've heard the oldest people there can trace their ancestry back 2 or 3 generations until they trace it outside the country. The diversity in the white population seems very thin.

Not only the name itself, but the feel of British Columbia, with the exception of the non-white population there feels very WASPy. I mean rich WASPy. Blue blood, old money, country club, pink shirt, chinos wearing, WASPyness. Think old school New England. I mean REALLY WASPy. Every white person I have met from BC has looked like someone out of Downton Abbey or something. I find it really weird as they're still Canadian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 09:03 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,236,176 times
A lot of us "wasp" folk from BC are of central/eastern European descent. Our families came out on railroads since they were less desirable for central Canada immigration. I'm from the Fraser valley and German/Slavic heritage was very common.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:04 PM

63 posts, read 75,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
A lot of us "wasp" folk from BC are of central/eastern European descent. Our families came out on railroads since they were less desirable for central Canada immigration. I'm from the Fraser valley and German/Slavic heritage was very common.
I guess there are certain exceptions the closer you get to Alberta but coastal BC is still fairly WASPy isn't it? Vancouver and Vancouver Island are for sure, as far as the white population there goes anyway.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:18 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,534,884 times
Vancouver Island is, but Vancouver has a.fairly diverse white population. Your definition is very narrow though. Newfoundland is definitely the most white Anglo Saxon protestant province, it's just they have very old roots there and are far from blue blood for the most part.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:40 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,073,894 times
Ontario is. WASP to me denotes old money wealth, and most of it is here.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:48 PM

21 posts, read 26,253 times
New Brunswick has the oldest residents in canada other than the natives. I am from NB. The whites there go back as far as 1634 (which is when my family came to Canada on the French side). I am also have Irish- they came to the maritimes in 1845 (or the Great Potato Famine brought on by the English and the Irish Holocaust). So I am 16th generation and my 8 nieces and nephew are 17th!

Old 08-01-2014, 01:53 PM

21 posts, read 26,253 times
Forgot to mention the very first colony in North America was in Nova Scotia near where my nana is from, Yarmouth. The acadians and natives lived and worked in peace for 200 years until the English came and ruined everything! They started a very lucrative colony in timber, the fur trade that reached europe, salted cod industry. They shared their knowledge and resources to improve both of their conditions. I even think alot of the french lived in teepees!

Old 08-02-2014, 05:07 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,527,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Ontario is. WASP to me denotes old money wealth, and most of it is here.
^^^
This. Old school Anglo-Montreal could also be a bit like this in the past, but many of the folks who'd fit into this category have drifted to Ontario over the last 50 years or so.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:05 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,070,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyBum View Post
British Columbia is still a fairly young part of the country. I've heard the oldest people there can trace their ancestry back 2 or 3 generations until they trace it outside the country. The diversity in the white population seems very thin.

Not only the name itself, but the feel of British Columbia, with the exception of the non-white population there feels very WASPy. I mean rich WASPy. Blue blood, old money, country club, pink shirt, chinos wearing, WASPyness. Think old school New England. I mean REALLY WASPy. Every white person I have met from BC has looked like someone out of Downton Abbey or something. I find it really weird as they're still Canadian.
That's a lot of nonsense. Obviously you don't know much about BC's history, you evidently haven't met very many people from BC and even more obviously you've never been to visit BC and seen all of its towns and people up close and personal.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:04 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,341,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That's a lot of nonsense. Obviously you don't know much about BC's history, you evidently haven't met very many people from BC and even more obviously you've never been to visit BC and seen all of its towns and people up close and personal.

Obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada