Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 03:28 PM

854 posts, read 1,481,864 times

Advertisements

I don't think so. Canadian Anglo-Saxons are mostly descended from humble blue collar Brits from England's north/midlands and also from Scotland, who while technically are mostly white, Anglo-Saxon and Protestant are not what I tend to think of as "WASPs". WASP implies money and privilege to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 12:36 AM

984 posts, read 1,313,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Vancouver Island is, but Vancouver has a.fairly diverse white population. Your definition is very narrow though. Newfoundland is definitely the most white Anglo Saxon protestant province, it's just they have very old roots there and are far from blue blood for the most part.

Clearly you have never been to Newfoundland. Newfoundland is unique in English speaking Canada and most of the commonwealth for that matter in that it is primarily Roman Catholic NOT Protestant.

In terms of the Caucasian community in BC {or at least Vancouver} it is fairly homogeneous. There are small pockets of diversity but overwhelmingly it is of British descent. You never had the really large Eastern European population like on the Prairies or the large French, Jewish,Germanic, Dutch, Greek, Portuguese, Italian, or even Irish population of Montreal and Toronto. Of course there were some but not to near the extent of the other major Canadian cities.

As far as traditional "old wealth" kind of WASP............very little, There is Shaunessy but the real old wealth and politically powerful WASP element of Canada was always in Montreal and Toronto and some smaller centres like Ottawa, London, and Halifax.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:44 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Clearly you have never been to Newfoundland. Newfoundland is unique in English speaking Canada and most of the commonwealth for that matter in that it is primarily Roman Catholic NOT Protestant.
While there are areas in Newfoundland where Catholics have historically formed a majority of the population, the Protestant faith is in the minority on a province-wide basis only if you restrict those counted amongst their number to people who identify as being members of the Anglican Church. Non-Catholic Christian faiths are a clear majority when you include adherents of what an older generation might have called non-conformist Christian faiths.

Religion (2011)

Total population in private households by religion

Total

Buddhist

Christian 472,720
Anglican 127,255
Baptist 1,230
Catholic 181,590
Christian Orthodox 265
Lutheran 430
Pentecostal 33,195
Presbyterian 1,750
United Church 78,380
Other Christian 48,630

Hindu

Jewish

Muslim

Sikh

Traditional (Aboriginal) Spirituality

Other religions

No religious affiliation

(Excepted from National Household Survey, 2011.)

These numbers are roughly consistent with the 2001 census data:

Population by religion (2001 Census)

Newfoundland and Labrador

Total population

Catholic

Protestant

Christian Orthodox

Christian not included elsewhere

Muslim

Jewish

Buddhist

Hindu

Sikh

Eastern religions

Other religions

No religious affiliation

Source: Statistics Canada, Census of Population.
Last modified: 2005-01-25.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:59 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,719,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Jewish
Including the Premier!

Old 08-05-2014, 01:08 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,719,580 times
Depends on what is meant by "WASP." If it's all English ancestry Protestants then it's Newfoundland. Or do you mean affluent people of English ancestry that belong to mainline (not fundamentalist) churches only?

The answer would be different in the US too: Kentucky would be more "WASP" than Connecticut using the former definition but not the latter.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:43 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,905 times
Jcan don't be a racist . Modern Britain has nothing to do with the potato famine, the government then should be ashamed. I have Irish/English blood and modern England and Ireland have a lot in common and mix well. You have an old world, ( never been to Britain/Ireland) attitude straight from Hollywood. We Brits and Irish love soccer, mix our families and both love horse racing, you have to stop being a standard bearer for the little you know, little about. I gues you are another ignorant american

Old 12-08-2014, 11:03 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,105 times
This has to be one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyBum View Post
British Columbia is still a fairly young part of the country. I've heard the oldest people there can trace their ancestry back 2 or 3 generations until they trace it outside the country. The diversity in the white population seems very thin.

Not only the name itself, but the feel of British Columbia, with the exception of the non-white population there feels very WASPy. I mean rich WASPy. Blue blood, old money, country club, pink shirt, chinos wearing, WASPyness. Think old school New England. I mean REALLY WASPy. Every white person I have met from BC has looked like someone out of Downton Abbey or something. I find it really weird as they're still Canadian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada