Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 05:50 PM

64 posts, read 204,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
That's a give or take scenario. Certain aspects of economy and growth will benefit tremendously from a weaker dollar. Other things won't.

This is a universal problem, not an American problem. And taxes in Canada are hefty, have you done your research?

I didn't realize Americans were to be tolerant of people who break the law. They are illegal for a reason. Now, if that comment was "Americans have very low tolerance for immigrants" - that would make much more sense.

Another problem certainly not unique to America.

Who's fault is that?

Wow, you need to do your homework. Our economy has slowed down off and on in the last year or two, but our trade deficit is lower than it's been in ages and we still see steady positive numbers.

That's also not true. His approval ratings are god-awful. Even worse than Clinton when he was in a sex scandal! I think the majority of Americans now agree Bush was a big mistake. Ya know, proof of that was us kinda electing a Democratic house and senate last year, no?

This is a Bush induced problem, thankfully he will be out of office shortly.

You really need to do some major research before you state things that are wildly inaccurate. Other than these things I've mentioned, I agree with some of what you say.

I adore Canada and had my own aspirations of possibly becoming a citizen. Then I did my own research. Canada is just like any other country. They have a plethora of serious problems but they also do certain other things completely right.
What a totally accurate and well written response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 05:54 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
3. I HATE those clean and beatiful large Metropolitan areas.
What large metro areas? Toronto, Canada's largest, is the size of Houston but only more glorified. There are 6 bigger areas than this in the U.S. (N.Y.C., L.A., Chicagoland, Baltimore-Washington, San Francisco, and Dallas-Fort Worth). I considered Calgary but later found out that it barely has a million in the metro. Canada is sparcely populated after looking at the populations of the other major cities.

I don't like Houston because it's too small. I want to make it big in the big city. Why go through immigration when there are no bigger cities up there especially if the big cities are in my country? Outside of Toronto, it would be a big adjustment to adapt in a smaller, and hence inferior, city anywhere in North America. It's like trading in Chicagoland for Peoria.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:10 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
Quote:
What a totally accurate and well written response.
Why thank you very much!! I was told I was being mean and troublesome earlier. LOL.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:06 AM

23 posts, read 234,244 times
Hmm, what do I hate

1. The weather. As I get a little older I just can no longer stand the cold. So while I do love a white Christmas California is calling my name, lol!

2. Tim Hortons (sorry but give me Coffee Bean or JJ Bean anytime)! Why do Canadians buy this garbage when the coffee watery/horrible and the donuts aren't even fresh. It's honestly a travesty!

3. The way that many (not all) Canadians dislike Americans. I have tons of clients from the U.S. and they're all wonderful people! Like anywhere there are two sides to any coin.

4. The way we peak over at the States and copy them. Get an identity people, geez!

5. The way we claim to have national pride and then abandon Canadian made products or artists.

6. The duty/taxes on importing anything into Canada. In the U.S they are allowed free importation of goods under $200.00 but here we have to pay on anything over $20.00. Nice Nafta (it's robbery, imho)!

7. Canadian content laws. If it's a good product it will stand on it's own...we don't need the government making sure that there is a certain percent of Canadian content in everything we watch/listen to.

I think that's about it and really they're all fairly minor gripes. In a perfect world I would love to have dual citizenship so that I can enjoy the wonderful things that both countries have to offer

Old 10-17-2007, 03:35 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,890 times
Quote:
That's true!! Maybe you should be considering escaping your state then, not your country. :PNo truly, I love Canada. But please do your homework before you gleefully pursue a new life outside of US borders. I was completely shocked and mortified at several things I won't mention.
Hmm I had no idea that a desire for a change and experience living in another country was a statement of looking to escape?

Honestly boylock, the only thing I can say to you is boy look and read properly before YOU make wildly inaccurate accusations...Like I said before there is a big difference between doing a comparison and making accusations...I believe both you and Steve should widely consider taking courses in reading comprehension.....There you will see and be able to properly identify and understand the difference between making accusations and making a comparison.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:55 AM

25 posts, read 213,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
What's even worse is that after paying the outrageous prices, you have to watch the Leafs.
Very True, but, I can't abandon my hometown.
its just wierd.
and maybe, if im lucky, before i turn hmmm 80, MAYBE they will wwin!
but yeeeh.
theres definately no counting on them.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Hmm I had no idea that a desire for a change and experience living in another country was a statement of looking to escape?

Honestly boylock, the only thing I can say to you is boy look and read properly before YOU make wildly inaccurate accusations...
Actually Jadel, you're wrong again. After reading your original post, it's safe to say that few people would assume you are simply looking for a "different experience." Your post isn't nearly so benign. In fact, you go on with a laundry list of things you "HATE" about America and ask for comparisons (my guess is to hope you'll hate Canada less). Not only were they things you hate they were only SOME (stressed by YOU yourself) of the things you hate, implying some serious angst.

I think I crafted a pretty accurate response based on the information given which was, essentially, you hate America and want out. I'm not sure how many other people could take it any other way from reading your first post unless you would tell them differently.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:05 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,890 times
Quote:
Actually Jadel, you're wrong again. After reading your original post, it's safe to say that few people would assume you are simply looking for a "different experience." Your post isn't nearly so benign. In fact, you go on with a laundry list of things you "HATE" about America and ask for comparisons (my guess is to hope you'll hate Canada less). Not only were they things you hate they were only SOME (stressed by YOU yourself) of the things you hate, implying some serious angst.

I think I crafted a pretty accurate response based on the information given which was, essentially, you hate America and want out. I'm not sure how many other people could take it any other way from reading your first post unless you would tell them differently.

Actually if you think negative you will perceive things to be negative. So it came across the way your mind percepted it to be.. while others see it the way it was intended you saw it negatively. A comparison of dislikes is just that. I guess it would be best to get up and go without do research and comparison right? To each his own.. I do what i feel I need to do to form a conclusion of which direction to turn.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:07 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
I like Canada, that being said I don't like that:

1.) Canada is very expensive (compared to most, not all, of the US).
2.) Canada has very high tax rates.
3.) Most of Canada has very harsh winters.
4.) Canada's universal health coverage - from what I have read from Canadian's it not all that it is cracked up to be, unless you like to wait 6 months for an xray.
5.) French Canadians as a general albiet self-admitted prejducial statement (as Ted Nugent said "the only thing worse than a frenchman is a french canadian").
6.) Some self-absorbed arrogance on Canadian political policy vs. U.S. policy (see #7).
7.) Failure of some Canadians to acknowledge that they have benifited from a comfortable life free of the treat of military agression due to being under the no cost blanket of US military protection for the last 100 years. i.e. - Canada has enjoyed the benifit of not needing a huge military and the assoicated costs of maintaing one.

edit - gawd my spelling is terrible above, but too lazy to fix it.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Actually if you think negative you will perceive things to be negative. So it came across the way your mind percepted it to be.. while others see it the way it was intended you saw it negatively.
Riiiiight. That's a sad argument. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada