Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 06:49 PM

129 posts, read 336,373 times

Advertisements

The way I see it, a country's level of development depends on 3 factors: Technology, job market, and sense of community. None of that has anything to do with bringing in a quarter of a million immigrants per year.

Look at Italy. Their immigrants make up less than 8% of the population, and no one is complaining about them. And what consequences would we face if we shrunk down, or even ceased immigration altogether?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 07:01 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymanero View Post
The way I see it, a country's level of development depends on 3 factors: Technology, job market, and sense of community. None of that has anything to do with bringing in a quarter of a million immigrants per year.

Look at Italy. Their immigrants make up less than 8% of the population, and no one is complaining about them. And what consequences would we face if we shrunk down, or even ceased immigration altogether?
You may want to consider studying some economics.

To grow its economy, Canada needs to grow labor force in line with its capital and resource base. To do so, it needs more people. They have to come from outside Canada, by definition. Those who come from outside Canada are called immigrants.

I'm sorry you're anti-immigrant, but racism or xenophobia aside, but Canada can't grow to its potential without them.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:05 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Care to elaborate on why a country's development depends on "a sense of community"?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:48 PM

235 posts, read 837,461 times
Canada already is pretty diverse. It isn't a homogenous blob of WASP middle-class Toronto suburbanites with identical backgrounds, lifestyles, religions, etc.

And Canada's demographics, with an ageing workforce, & shrinking birthrate, mean that either we bring in more immigrants to work, pay taxes and keep the economy going, or there will be no one to support the elderly baby boomers.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 AM

577 posts, read 1,476,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
[...]either we bring in more immigrants to work, pay taxes and keep the economy going, or there will be no one to support the elderly baby boomers.
You have said it well - that's the real reason for bringing in more immigrants - to hold on their shoulders the elderly, who were having nice paying 9-to-5 jobs, lasting 20 years at least in a row, and big fat pensions.
That '60 golden era is now gone, and the newcomers in this game are not benefiting from the same standard of living, stable jobs, cheaper food and housing etc. Everything is damn unstable and expensive now.
Also, the savers are penalized for being savers and people are driven like crazy into borrowing from the fat, greedy Bankster. And governments spending like drunken sailors and not being held accountable for what they do. Complete disconnect from "we, the people" who have elected them.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
Canada already is pretty diverse. It isn't a homogenous blob of WASP middle-class Toronto suburbanites with identical backgrounds, lifestyles, religions, etc.

And Canada's demographics, with an ageing workforce, & shrinking birthrate, mean that either we bring in more immigrants to work, pay taxes and keep the economy going, or there will be no one to support the elderly baby boomers.
We already have a conservative government do you suppose things will get better under a liberal or NDP government? As for the elderly baby boomers who have worked all their lives and are now entering retirement what's your solution? take away their pensions> deny them medical coverage? let them die and starve in the streets?
I think many forget who it was that had their back for probably most of their juvenile lives before they grew up and got jobs of their own,yeah those very baby boomers took care of you,now its payback time..

Old 12-27-2012, 08:52 AM

577 posts, read 1,476,130 times
Those baby boomers in no case took care of me and my family. We immigrated here and we were born and got all our education abroad. So, it's the opposite - it people like me keeping those elderly people on our shoulders.

I'm not saying that we should get away their pensions and benefits, but that we should too, enjoy the same. And to treat the immigrants with more respect, i.e. acknowledge their education and work experience and finish once and for all with all that 'Canadian work experience' CRAP. Which is done on purpose, to create a disadvantage on the work market, and seeing the people from abroad like 'aliens'. Heck, I could say exactly the opposite - almost everything here in Canada looks like a third-world country: wooden barracks called houses (made of chipped wood glued together), water barrels used as water heaters, primitive, inneficient furnaces, a third-world communication infrastructure (cell phones and internet), an alienated educational system and so on.

What I see on contrary now, is that we, the new Canadian generation (no matter coming from abroad or 'from here') have to work harder and harder, and for less. The property taxes went up by 5%, hydro for peak time usage also by 5%, bus tickets by 8%, grocery monthly bills going up like crazy and so on....While our wages stayed the same or even went lower (I've just had to find a new job 1 month ago). But does the Government and all the monopolistic companies and crooks even care about us??

There is a HUGE amount of highly trained, human capital from abroad. Good doctors and scientist and others. Then why do we have a shortage of doctors here? Me and my family can't event get a family doctor here in Ontario. It's done on purpose - either by the doctors' professional union to keep their number low and indirectly create a scarcity (which in turn will trigger high salaries for them), or even simpler explanation, the Government is pound foolish and penny wise by not considering the health care as an important long-term investment and they get cheap and intentionally keep a low number of medical resources available, almost to the point where the people will start begging for help.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:57 AM

297 posts, read 472,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Those baby boomers in no case took care of me and my family. We immigrated here and we were born and got all our education abroad. So, it's the opposite - it people like me keeping those elderly people on our shoulders.

I'm not saying that we should get away their pensions and benefits, but that we should too, enjoy the same. And to treat the immigrants with more respect, i.e. acknowledge their education and work experience and finish once and for all with all that 'Canadian work experience' CRAP. Which is done on purpose, to create a disadvantage on the work market, and seeing the people from abroad like 'aliens'. Heck, I could say exactly the opposite - almost everything here in Canada looks like a third-world country: wooden barracks called houses (made of chipped wood glued together), water barrels used as water heaters, primitive, inneficient furnaces, a third-world communication infrastructure (cell phones and internet), an alienated educational system and so on.

What I see on contrary now, is that we, the new Canadian generation (no matter coming from abroad or 'from here') have to work harder and harder, and for less. The property taxes went up by 5%, hydro for peak time usage also by 5%, bus tickets by 8%, grocery monthly bills going up like crazy and so on....While our wages stayed the same or even went lower (I've just had to find a new job 1 month ago). But does the Government and all the monopolistic companies and crooks even care about us??

At least you are not the USA

Old 12-27-2012, 10:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post

Your parents werent baby boomers?
You changed your own diapers and fed yourself from birth.?
Your parents and ultimately you are going to refuse your pensions when they are due?
How you liking that Canadian Healthcare?
Most of your supposed burdensome baby boomers made much in the way of contributions in making Canada the great country it is today and you repay their contributions to Canada by calling them a burden and just callously throw them all under the bus.
Reading your post it seems you have nothing but hate and disdain for Canada and by default Canadians and it seems theres special level of hate for the elderly or those now becoming retired..
If you are representative of the new Canadian generation of immigrants instead of bitching and whining about your sorrowful life here why not just do us and yourself a big favor and go to that place thats so much better than Canada.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 AM

235 posts, read 837,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
We already have a conservative government do you suppose things will get better under a liberal or NDP government? As for the elderly baby boomers who have worked all their lives and are now entering retirement what's your solution? take away their pensions> deny them medical coverage? let them die and starve in the streets?
I think many forget who it was that had their back for probably most of their juvenile lives before they grew up and got jobs of their own,yeah those very baby boomers took care of you,now its payback time..
Hmm I think you misread my post, or you've confused me with the OP... In any case, I'm not anti-baby boomer, nor am I anti-immigration. I'd be just as happy to bringmore immigrants into Canada. It is a demographic fact though, an ageing population requires a growing workforce to support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada