Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:49 PM

103 posts, read 169,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
No. Football in Canada is not in the same league as Football in the US. When I was in high school, no schools in my area had football teams. (And I still think it is the same today.)

And to be honest, I don't think that Canadians are as passionate about hockey like American are about football. A lot of Canadians may support their pro team but interest dramatically drops in the lower levels of the game. I found Americans to be fans at all levels of the game of football, not just only the pro.

In general, I find that America have more of a sports culture than Canada.
I would not go that far in terms of hockey some small towns pack the rink for jr b and even lower levels of hockey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 01:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
The hockey that is offered to kids is through the community, not through the schools.
Frankly, I find the "jock worship" I've seen in US schools is rather off-putting.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:11 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,099 times
I wish I had played sports when I was a kid. I now think it's essential for one's childhood to be involved in sports. At least for boys. Childhood can be so dull, but when you're involved in outdoor activities and doing regular exercise, as well as being social, it can greatly improve one's quality of life.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:52 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The scholarships are tiny and not provided by the universities, but through private funding.
They can and usually cover the cost of full tuition and books. They can be funded by multiple ways, just not through the operating funds of the University.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:27 PM

47 posts, read 260,671 times
So how exactly do canadian kids get involved in sports if not through school? Is it just through community programs?

Old 07-23-2013, 06:50 PM

484 posts, read 1,286,667 times
There is sports in schools, it's just not a big deal like in the US.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
So how exactly do canadian kids get involved in sports if not through school? Is it just through community programs?
My son played hockey, baseball and soccer, all through community programs.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:15 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Yes, how disgusting of those schools offering full paid scholarships to athletic kids to a program of their choice. Graduating with zero to little student debt sounds absolutely terrible...

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 07-24-2013 at 07:24 AM..

Old 07-24-2013, 07:32 AM

103 posts, read 169,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Yes, how disgusting of those schools offering full paid scholarships to athletic kids to a program of their choice. Graduating with zero to little student debt sounds absolutely terrible...
The issue is some get out of school who really did not learn all that much it was just all sports.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:21 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2015 View Post
The issue is some get out of school who really did not learn all that much it was just all sports.
I think it is fair to say that pissing away ones education is not something that is exclusive to student athletes. There are many examples of kids on full academic scholarships and just regular financial aid that drop out, party too much and don't end up like Michael Dell and Mark Zuckerberg.

There are also many examples of student athletes who take their education very seriously and benefit from the generous scholarship and financial aid packages awarded to them. Personally I attended an Ivy League school as a student athlete and was primarily there for the degree not to play soccer. While the Ivy Leage does not award athletic scholarships, there are financial aid packages tied to their endowment that cover much of the cost of a student-athletes schooling. It would have been a stretch for me to afford the school I attended without it and many others are in the same boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada