Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 09:46 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,796,509 times

Advertisements

In high school, who did the chicks dig the most - the star football player or the star hockey player?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2023, 10:25 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
In high school, who did the chicks dig the most - the star football player or the star hockey player?
High school hockey teams are rare and often subpar. The top level generally involves private clubs not affiliated with schools. Whereas football is mostly played within the context of high school.

Basically. any decent-looking masculine jock will be popular with the girls. Regardless of the sport.

Though only hockey gets its own term: "plotte à puck".

(Look it up. May be NSFW.)

Old 02-01-2023, 12:40 AM

3,627 posts, read 3,416,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
High school hockey teams are rare and often subpar. The top level generally involves private clubs not affiliated with schools. Whereas football is mostly played within the context of high school.
Right. Schools may have hockey teams, but they don't necessarily have hockey rinks, so ice time must be purchased from a private or city-run rink for practices and games at an arena that is not necessarily close to school grounds, and at a time that is not necessarily convenient for students to attend (say, Thursday at 9 pm this week for a practice, Tuesday at 6 pm next week for a game).

By comparison, every school can have a plot of land that can serve as a football/soccer/baseball/rugby field. No need for the school to purchase field time, teams can practice every day at school if they wish, and every game is at school. Well, except for the away games, of course, but even those would take place at another school at a reasonable time of day. And yes, with football so visible and hockey so hidden, the girls went for the football players.

Hockey is very similar to baseball--you start as a child, in hockey's equivalent of Little League, and work your way up through lower leagues. By the time you're high school age, you're either headed for the pro stream (which many try but do not make it all the way), or you're playing at high school. In other words, if you play hockey at high school, you're not one of the better hockey players, and you're only playing because you love the game.

Old 02-01-2023, 06:06 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,777,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Right. Schools may have hockey teams, but they don't necessarily have hockey rinks, so ice time must be purchased from a private or city-run rink for practices and games at an arena that is not necessarily close to school grounds, and at a time that is not necessarily convenient for students to attend (say, Thursday at 9 pm this week for a practice, Tuesday at 6 pm next week for a game).

By comparison, every school can have a plot of land that can serve as a football/soccer/baseball/rugby field. No need for the school to purchase field time, teams can practice every day at school if they wish, and every game is at school. Well, except for the away games, of course, but even those would take place at another school at a reasonable time of day. And yes, with football so visible and hockey so hidden, the girls went for the football players.

Hockey is very similar to baseball--you start as a child, in hockey's equivalent of Little League, and work your way up through lower leagues. By the time you're high school age, you're either headed for the pro stream (which many try but do not make it all the way), or you're playing at high school. In other words, if you play hockey at high school, you're not one of the better hockey players, and you're only playing because you love the game.
Pretty much the same down here. Hockey is particularly big here in New England though I am not sure about the warmer states. High schools here in N.E. have hockey teams but all games are played at municipal rinks away from school. My high school had both boys and girls hockey teams for instance but not its own rink. Many suburban high schools have their own gridiron football stadiums. Urban high schools like mine do not and play at a centralized city owned location instead. Actually, well funded suburban schools tend to have many more facilities than their urban counterparts - tennis courts, baseball fields, running tracks, and some even have their own indoor swimming pools. We city kids are lucky to have a functioning indoor gymnasium.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:34 AM

17,219 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Top level hockey in Quebec at High School age is played primarily at Private Secondary schools. Most Midget AAA teams in Quebec are based out of Secondary schools (i.e., High School.) I briefly played at CCL. Just about every arena we played in was on a school campus. There were a few exceptions. Considering how rigorous the schedules are, and the travel time involved, I'd find it extremely hard to go to a school not directly affiliated with the club. A Wednesday bus ride to a 7PM Jonquiere game meant missing the entire day of school, and going in the next morning half awake.

As for the popularity with girls, as said above, jocks are jocks, regardless of the sport played. There were some "fraishier" (or however you spell it) guys on the hockey team, just as there were some on the golf team. They were equally popular with girls. The basketball guys were no better.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:17 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Top level hockey in Quebec at High School age is played primarily at Private Secondary schools. Most Midget AAA teams in Quebec are based out of Secondary schools (i.e., High School.) I briefly played at CCL. Just about every arena we played in was on a school campus. There were a few exceptions. Considering how rigorous the schedules are, and the travel time involved, I'd find it extremely hard to go to a school not directly affiliated with the club. A Wednesday bus ride to a 7PM Jonquiere game meant missing the entire day of school, and going in the next morning half awake.
It's a good point that Midget AAA teams are often affiliated with a school. Though most of them aren't affiliated with a private school and aren't necessarily the school's own team. (In the case of the private schools, they are though.)

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligue_...hockey_M18_AAA

For example, in my city the Intrépide Midget AAA team is not a school team, though it is affiliated with the sports-études (sports-studies) program at Nicolas-Gatineau high school which is right next to the arena.

Almost all of the players (if not all of them) go to school at Nic-Gat and their academic program is adjusted to balance class time, homework time and hockey practices and games.

Also, there are only 15 Midget AAA clubs in Quebec, so even if they are all associated with a high school, that's just a tiny fraction of the 500 high schools in Quebec.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:42 PM

17,219 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's a good point that Midget AAA teams are often affiliated with a school. Though most of them aren't affiliated with a private school and aren't necessarily the school's own team. (In the case of the private schools, they are though.)

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligue_...hockey_M18_AAA

For example, in my city the Intrépide Midget AAA team is not a school team, though it is affiliated with the sports-études (sports-studies) program at Nicolas-Gatineau high school which is right next to the arena.

Almost all of the players (if not all of them) go to school at Nic-Gat and their academic program is adjusted to balance class time, homework time and hockey practices and games.

Also, there are only 15 Midget AAA clubs in Quebec, so even if they are all associated with a high school, that's just a tiny fraction of the 500 high schools in Quebec.
Right. So while at CCL sports were a huge deal, I don't think they are much of anything at public high schools in Quebec. The friends I had/have who went to public schools were never really "famous" for playing on school teams, or even for playing the local Bantam CC/BB club teams (which were still quite solid, TBH... several who played that level have gone on to play pro.)
Sports in Canada in general is just not like it is in the US, outside of small bubbles, such as Midget AAA and affiliated schools.

LOL @ "Plotte a puck" by the way... Brought back some cringe-worthy memories with that one.

Old 06-25-2023, 03:47 PM

I might be returning to the York Region in the near future to visit relatives. I recently found this article about the status of secondary school football in the York Region. The situation is not good . As late as 2009, there were over a dozen different high school football teams in the York Region but now it's down to 2-3 with only the Huron Heights Warriors in Newmarket having steady seasons. The Warriors end up having to travel afar to find opponents to play because few to none of their neighbours have football teams any longer.

https://www.newmarkettoday.ca/local-...-rival-5948774

What happened? The York Region is quite affluent compared to other regions in the GTA so money should be less of a factor I'd think. Could it be lack of interest that are driving these secondary school teams to the ground? Could it be increasing worry about the risk of injury in the often violent sport? Interesting enough, practically every high school in New Brunswick, a poorer province than Ontario, has a football team and football interest seems to still be going on strong there. I really wonder what is going on in the York Region these days.

Old 08-04-2023, 06:40 PM

Default Canadian high schoolers playing American football in Canada? Oh my!

!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQpC...e=emb_imp_woyt

I suppose there are supporters as well as detractors of this initiative. Without a doubt, American 4-down football is popular in some parts of Canada - the continued promotion of the NFL and NCAA over the CFL and U-Sports might have something to do with it - but to have a public secondary school actually promote the American style is shocking to me. The headmistress in her interview even wants to see this movement expand. So, is this the beginning of the demise of 3-down football as we know it and with that possibly a part of Canadian identity? Will Canadian youth not want to play with Canadian rules in the future? Will an increasing number of Canadian high school football fields shrink to 100 yards long with 10 yard endzones and goalposts in the rear? Or would such a program as this be geographically limited and Canadian football here to stay? What do others think?

Last edited by Urban Peasant; 08-04-2023 at 06:51 PM..

Old 08-05-2023, 09:02 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,796,509 times
Did any of you play football in high school? I didn’t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada