Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 02:33 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times

Advertisements

The posts about Bill 14 made references to anti-Jewish incidents in Ste.-Agathe-des-Monts. I wonder if part of the problem is because of suspicion of this fellow.

Shlomo Helbrans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Mouldy Old Schmo; 07-30-2013 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 02:47 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Never heard of this guy.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:01 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,882,218 times
There is absolutely no anti-Semitism anywhere in Quebec. You may find more anti-Christians in Quebec than you would find Anti-Jews. Montreal used to have a Jewish mayor, and some parts of the city have high Jewish minorities.

Bill 14 or Bill 101 have nothing to do with Jews or any religion or ethnicity. Jews and any other religious group must respect the laws of the country or region they live in regardless if they like it or not.

French is under threat in Quebec, and they need to preserve the language and culture of the province.

That person is a Jewish Taliban and terrorist who was put in prison for kidnapping and deported to Israel, and lied that his life was under threat in Israel and later moved to Canada.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
That person is a Jewish Taliban and terrorist who was put in prison for kidnapping and deported to Israel, and lied that his life was under threat in Israel and later moved to Canada.
I agree. I'm just saying having this cult near the community may cause a few of Ste. Agathe's citizens to have negative feelings about Jews.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:

French is under threat in Quebec, and they need to preserve the language and culture of the province.

How is a language that has been spoken in that part of the world since the 1500s "under threat", especially when most of the people who live there speak French and only French?

Old 07-30-2013, 03:14 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times
I don't know about anti-semitism now but many Jewish writers have made reference to it being the case in the past. Mordecai Richler and Irving Layton come to mind.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:40 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,530,536 times
Quote:
There is absolutely no anti-Semitism anywhere in Quebec. You may find more anti-Christians in Quebec than you would find Anti-Jews. Montreal used to have a Jewish mayor, and some parts of the city have high Jewish minorities.

Bill 14 or Bill 101 have nothing to do with Jews or any religion or ethnicity. Jews and any other religious group must respect the laws of the country or region they live in regardless if they like it or not.

If you think there's no anti-Semitism in Quebec, you're out of touch with the local Jewish community. Montreal is quite tolerant, but to say that a province that's historically been known for anti-semitism has zero anti-Semitism now is just ignorant. Certainly there's less than there used to be, but it is not gone by any means, and I truly believe the PQ scheduling the next election on Rosh Hashanah was a deliberate slap in the face aimed at the Jewish community.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:07 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I agree. I'm just saying having this cult near the community may cause a few of Ste. Agathe's citizens to have negative feelings about Jews.
I remember reading in the local paper that one of the reasons the St Agathe citizens had negative feelings was because this sect was throwing their trash in the river, up to and including rusted bed frames and old furniture.
People don't like that.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:52 AM

408 posts, read 607,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I don't know about antisemitism now but many Jewish writers have made reference to it being the case in the past. Mordecai Richler and Irving Layton come to mind.
If you were born in 1912 like Irving Layton, or 1931 like Mordechai Richler, then you would have experienced anti-semitism in any city of the western world. Speaking of which, A significant percentage of the world's Jewish population born in either of those years was exterminated by government decree.

So no, Quebec does not, nor did it ever stand out in regards to antisemitism.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:35 AM

127 posts, read 269,272 times
Hassidic jewish are usually harassed by some municipale elected member because they drove a mini bus inside the street of Outremont during porim holiday, it's an "acharnement" for no reason for peaceful holidays compare to the ones in saint Leonard where people fight and throw each others paint , the parking of College McDonald at Jean Talon/Viau use to be full of paint spot , and no one said anything.
add to that city refusal of synagogue extention ,and orders to close some because of zoning.
i think there is some antisemitisme but for sure it doesn't come from general population but from some crazy heads in the city (i guess)
source:
Outremont's Hasidic Jews brace for Purim conflict - Montreal - CBC News

Worlds collide for Outremont’s Hassidic population | Toronto Star

Court rules Montreal Hasidic synagogue can stay despite campaign to shut it down | National Post

Tensions in Outremont as councillor and Hasidic community face-off | CTV Montreal News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada