Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:08 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I understand that. It's that in the U.S we are used to people being black whether they look like Michael Jordan or rapper Ice T. Ice T wouldn't be black in Brazil. He'd be something else. Would Ice T be considered black by Canadian standards of race?
Ice-T is a really good example. I am not preoccupuied with race at all and don't care who is black and who isn't, but if pressed and asked, I would not identify someone who looks like him as "black".

Same goes for aboriginals. In the three photos below, who of them is a "status Indian" according to Canadian law, and who has no aboriginal identification whatsoever? Can you tell the difference?

http://fr.canoe.ca/divertissement/mu...n_cossette.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...95849267_n.jpg

http://a134.idata.over-blog.com/0/27...-pelletier.gif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
^ all three look white to me.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:41 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
^ all three look white to me.
I could see the mixture better in the last two.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ice-T is a really good example. I am not preoccupuied with race at all and don't care who is black and who isn't, but if pressed and asked, I would not identify someone who looks like him as "black".

Same goes for aboriginals. In the three photos below, who of them is a "status Indian" according to Canadian law, and who has no aboriginal identification whatsoever? Can you tell the difference?

http://fr.canoe.ca/divertissement/mu...n_cossette.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...95849267_n.jpg

http://a134.idata.over-blog.com/0/27...-pelletier.gif
The first one is Quebec singer Sylvain Cossette - no aboriginal origin apparently

The second one is disgraced Canadian senator Patrick Brazeau - status Indian

The third is singer Bruno Pelletier - no aboriginal origin

Old 08-03-2013, 12:20 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
I am not sure that many on this thread had science and biology in school. RACE is not geographic. It has NOTHING to do with place. RACE is strictly a scientific classification of the humans that exist on this planet. Why do we have that? For the same reason that we classify all animals, plants, germs or what have you. (even rocks)

Ethnic identity includes both race and geography due to the migration of humans over the Earth for eons.

CAUCASOID- white, light skin people
NEGROID- dark, brown, and almost black people
MONGOLOID- yellow and golden people

These are scientific terms , not sociological.

MONOGOLOID represents the largest and most diverse group due to migration. Racially, it was a blended group in more ways. For instance, the people of Asia crossed the Bering Strait and populated the western hemisphere. This is why the early American 'Indians' looked so Asian in skin color and slanted eyes. Much later in time the Europeans came to the Americas and this introduced the predominant Spanish Caucasian into the picture. This is where we have the term Hispanic.

HISPANICS are not of a race. They can be considered either CAUCASOID or MONGOLOID. Being from America, the culture and ethnicity issue comes and hence they are rarely considered to be of Asian background.

You guys are on devices that can answer most questions. Although you have to choose carefully because places like WIKIPEDIA are not true knowledge based.
At any rate, if you would like to really know the facts look them up. Don't argue on line over things you can learn in a moment.

As I said the OP was asking about RACE and almost everyone soon was off on sociology. There are a lot of issues in our world today, but one thing is for sure. A scientist can take a sample of your blood and tell you exactly what race or races you are. This is not a pick and choose subject. It just shows how uncomfortable people are with the subject and even with being who and what they are. Being ignorant and uneducated is the enemy. Not some guy across the street.

You will find a lot more than I have pointed out here. I just wanted to lay down the basics hoping it might make someone realize that the country you or your ancesters come from does not identify what you are, just possibly who you are.

Best wishes,

raj kapoor
Race is socially constructed, which is why it changes depending on where you go. In fact, race as many commonly understand it today is a more modern concept, and yet the definition of race is still quite broad. Further, majority of scientists will admit that it is not some strictly scientific classification. Scientists themselves went back and forth when coming up with racial theories. Some said there were 5 races and other said 3 etc...and on and on.

Additionally, Hispanics can be of European, Amerindian, African or Asian background.

You seem upset that everyone doesn't fit into boxes that you can understand or care to accept. Please realize that the world is vast and diverse not only in appearance or culture but also in thought.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:07 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Just got an education this morning- My eldest daughter who has been alternating back and forth between India and Kenya - Just sent me some great pics from Africa...She works for a great NGO called Free The Children... I notice that the "black" people have a different attitude than western blacks in North America- There is no bitterness.....I don't see one hateful or a face full of sorrow...Culture is so important - so is stability of a society. It is striking to me the difference in attitude...It's not about race...it is about the soul...The Africans and their white visitors love each other. I would really like to see this kind of love in America...to bad that the whites and the blacks got off to such a poor start- Slavery has left it's scars that don't seem to be fading...and disrespect for the black race continues...the sad part is that some black Americans continue to be conditioned in their bitterness- It does not have to be that way.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
If a person has fallen into a subculture or a fabricated black culture and ACTS black..Then Canadians view them as black. If the person joins the mainstream and behaves and lives with real self esteem and dignity- carries themselves well- makes an attempt to be well spoken...Then they are not seen as black. It's a social and economic thing in Canada...it's about class..Those who behave and act in a poor manner - no matter what race will be pushed to the bottom of the pile. It's up to the person -

For instance in my gentrified hood there are many young middle class families pushing strollers down the street - all of them white...Recently I do see black woman - mixed couples and black couples who have joined the mainstream- They dress well - they don't want to live in a ghetto and they want to be part of so called white society...and what I mean by white has nothing to do with color. I am glad to see "black" people being white....some "blacks" hung up on race might find what I say offensive and perhaps even racist...but it is not. People will always except other good people no matter what...If you want to lurk around like some inferior with a bad attitude - that is your problem.
What the ????
That's ridiculous. I do wish you wouldn't speak for all of us. Black people aren't only considered black if they "act black". I work with legions of blacks....they're proudly black Jamaicans, black Nigerians, black Haitians, black Burundians. To say they're only black if they "act black" is highly offensive.
But then, you're the who said Jews and French people produce idiots, so nothing you say surprises me any more.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:39 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
If a person has fallen into a subculture or a fabricated black culture and ACTS black..Then Canadians view them as black. If the person joins the mainstream and behaves and lives with real self esteem and dignity- carries themselves well- makes an attempt to be well spoken...Then they are not seen as black. It's a social and economic thing in Canada...it's about class..Those who behave and act in a poor manner - no matter what race will be pushed to the bottom of the pile. It's up to the person -

For instance in my gentrified hood there are many young middle class families pushing strollers down the street - all of them white...Recently I do see black woman - mixed couples and black couples who have joined the mainstream- They dress well - they don't want to live in a ghetto and they want to be part of so called white society...and what I mean by white has nothing to do with color. I am glad to see "black" people being white....some "blacks" hung up on race might find what I say offensive and perhaps even racist...but it is not. People will always except other good people no matter what...If you want to lurk around like some inferior with a bad attitude - that is your problem.

Black...

White....?

I'm confused now.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:50 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
No one identifies you as anything in Canada. Self-identification is the rule.
What a crock of sh1t

Old 08-04-2013, 12:13 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
What a crock of sh1t
I would of worded it differently, but yes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada