Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 03:15 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times

Advertisements

If so, do you spend some of the year south of the border?

How do you enjoy it? Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 11:20 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Although i havent as yet got into fulltime Rving from what i've read most full timers head south for the winter, While Canada maybe a great summer destination dealing with Canadian winters can be a daunting challenge when just a 4-5 day drive south and you are back in reasonable temperatures, its definitely the way i'll be doing it if i can ever convince my wife to retire. i'm sure there are a hardy few that winterize their RV and give it a go.
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/n5RGlcLSrM4/maxresdefault.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5RGlcLSrM4

Much reading on the subject.
https://www.google.ca/#q=full+time+r...da&safe=active

Old 02-03-2014, 09:51 AM

Thanks, I definitely would NOT do a cold snowy winter in Canada, just summers.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:29 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
While not a "fulltimer" we were RV'ers for many years maintaining our home in Canada and snowbirding all over the U.S. southern climes for at least ten of those.

While you are an American desiring of summer stays in Canada; I'll use your post to address the Canadians travelling the other way with some of the info applicable to both.

The things you need to be aware of are mainly customs and immigration laws for both countries tripping you up when least expected.

For instance: Inhabiting an RV park in Canada for the summer may not avail you of those things that the border agents of the U.S. might ask of you to prove you have a closer connection to Canada AND an obvious desire to maintain that. They are wary of folks who are "portable" in nature and who they suspect might cross the border into the U.S. , remain there to live and work under the radar. It begs the question why anyone from Canada would sacrifice Universal healthcare etc., to do so but giving it some thought also might suggest there are those who would prefer a climate and simply return if a health problem arose.

The items of proof border agents might request of you at the U.S. border to substantiate a desire you have to remain Canadian are: The obvious ones such as driver's license and current insurance proof on vehicles you're driving/towing, permanent address while in Canada, recent property tax assessment notification, last copy of income tax return, utility bills paid, proof of ownership of vehicles registered in Canada, recent bank account statements, how much cash you're carrying across AND proof of funds on deposit or pensionable income that preclude you becoming a vagrant or dependent on working illegally to support yourselves for months in the U.S. etc., etc..

Both borders want/desire (perhaps even demand) an initial destination upon your entry and do not accept the "we thought we'd just tour around until we found a place we liked the look of." as an answer. Have your first nights/weeks stay address established to avoid that "thousand yard stare" from a border agent trained to detect obfuscation.

We have on multiple occasions of crossing the border been asked for some or all of the above.

The optics change markedly from a vacationing RV'er when you show up at the border showing the footprint of a fulltimer by driving or towing a unit that is larger and showing all the haulmarks of being used to live in such as bicycles or motorcycle contained within, a car hooked to the rear, heavier GVW that would signal better insulating "R" values, satellite TV dome on the roof etc., etc.. They are very adept at spotting and differentiating the casual RV'er from one who spends all year living in their rigs.

You must also be very careful to pattern your stay below the border to that of the 183 day maximum within any 12 month calendar period as if you go over that, it will trigger a full court press with perhaps a denial of entry AND possible in depth scrutiny from the IRS to attach and pay U.S. income taxes on ANY and ALL income you have .......even NON-U.S. income! Defending yourself from that conundrum, if it should ever occur, is nasty and expensive. Canadian RV'ers who might think it appropriate to agree to work the front desk or patrol a park on a golf cart to defray their site fees below the border are flirting with an utter disaster of epic proportions should they or the park be scrutinized for any reasons whatsoever. They are, perhaps unwittingly but nonetheless, availing themselves of a taxable perk and as such breaking the laws of the U.S.

As the exchange rate continues to decline; beware of attempting to mitigate that by investing in an interest creation financial instrument in the U.S. for those reasons stated above.

We have now given up the RV'ing activity due to age and American friendships built over long time and now own property in the U.S. but must still observe all of the above rules and guidelines to remain on the "benign visitor spending our retirement income down there" side of the ledger.

Last edited by BruSan; 02-04-2014 at 10:42 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 03:13 PM

Very informative post BruSan, I am Canadian and would prefer to stay in the US full time but that might change, that's why I was asking.

I wonder if showing up at the US border in an RV is a trigger for much of what you shared.

I do currently own a property in the US and might just leave it empty when I'm not there.

I don't know if you know his or not but the US is trying to change the length time snowbirds can stay in the US from 6 months to 8 months (they like our money ) and most Province's health care has extended the time you can be away.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:56 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Very informative post BruSan, I am Canadian and would prefer to stay in the US full time but that might change, that's why I was asking.

I wonder if showing up at the US border in an RV is a trigger for much of what you shared.

I do currently own a property in the US and might just leave it empty when I'm not there.

I don't know if you know his or not but the US is trying to change the length time snowbirds can stay in the US from 6 months to 8 months (they like our money ) and most Province's health care has extended the time you can be away.
The Snowbirds org. is a good source of information but please don't quote them at the border as your choice of authoritative information on your visits to the U.S. I made that mistake only once and got my knuckles soundly rapped with a "they do not have any official standing in EITHER country". They are, when all is said and done, merely an advocacy group for seniors wintering in the U.S. and Mexico.

Yes the U.S. is considering extending the "assumed visitor visa" length of stay but do not hold your breath as it arrives on the floor "attached " to very insignificant bill readings and will languish forever in limbo prior to it being enacted. They like our money but in the final analysis all things of a Canadian impact assume a very, very low priority with the U.S. legislature. Witness Keystone XL.

The provinces vary markedly in their "time out" provisions and probably will not even monitor the barcode swipes of your passport UNLESS you fall ill and enjoy a hospital stay below the 49th, then they will very likely request info from the feds on your crossing dates and times to verify eligibility of coverage. I do not know of any program that shares border crossing info with the various Provincial Health orgs as a matter of routine.

RV'ers enjoy a special scrutiny from border agents in the sense that after 9/11 the U.S. is especially sensitive to those who can travel "off-grid" for months at a time. That makes them uncomfortable. The agents are not out to ruin your trip simply as an exercise of entertainment however and are adept at looking you in the eye and detecting an agenda not befitting that of a visiting tourist.

The usual experience is having "citizens of what country" asked even though he's holding your passport and vehicle information in his hands; "intent of visit" even though you've arrived in a conveyance normally associated with a recreational travel exercise; "destination while in the U.S." even though you've got your entire belongings in a portable method of housing that is designed to move frequently; "how long do you plan to stay" even though you're beating feet out of Canada prior to the snow falling and are carrying bicycles and golf clubs among other things that would preclude you returning while that snow is still an issue.

Once you've shut down your engine, removed your sunglasses and looked him or her straight in the eye for the answers of all of those and perhaps "any meats or veggies" you will very likely receive a "have a nice visit or, enjoy your stay" and a wave through.

I should mention also that if you plan on staying beyond the allowed time out for your provincial medical; most have a "once only" time exemption you can apply for that will allow a vacancy of up to two years with maintenance of your provincial coverage. That would certainly allow you to experiment with an extended period out of country.

You must remember however that your stay in a foreign country is contingent on it's own time limitations that you must not exceed unless you've applied and received a visa suited for that purpose from the host country.

Good luck and safe travels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada