Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 12:09 PM

91 posts, read 196,197 times

Advertisements

Alright,
I used to be a frequent poster on this forum. The last one month however has been a non stop assault on my emotions and senses. I relocated to Canada. I had previously studied here for two years. The last two weeks I lived in Toronto which is a major metropolis. I was under the impression that this is where I will be living.

However due to some rules and legal regulations I have to relocate to the province of Alberta.
All fine and dandy, except I have been relocated to a town called Wandering River!!! It is a HAMLET with a population of 85 people.
Edmonton is a 3 hour ride and the nearest town- Fort Mcmurray- is the same but on the opposite side.

So, what the hell do I do? I love the outdoors and after having asked opinions I am getting conflicting results. Some say I will relish the solitude and find my inner being. Read lots of books, go fishing, and get a sense of belonging. My being East Indian(exotic) might work in favor of getting dates(though seriously, in a town of 85 what are the chances).

On the other hand I've also been told I might face animosity and just a change of such extent will hit me like a wall of cold ice. I mean I've lived in Mumbai, New Delhi, New York City and Toronto- big cities with chaos.

I have to leave at the end of this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 01:53 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
How on God's green earth did you get sent there? Clearly you pissed someone off in a past life.

Good news, Edmonton's only about 2 hours away. Bad news, you are in the middle of frickin' nowhere.

It won't be that bad. You'd be amazed at how busy people are and how close knit many small towns are, and what they do to create fun. Go with an open mind, and I'm sure it will be a great experience.

Your two new hobbies are golf and curling.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:08 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,797 times
I hate to say this but.................This story has a lot of holes in it.

For a start, unless you applied as a Provincial Nominee in Alberta, no one can SEND you any where in Canada. Lets assume that you DID apply under the Provincial Nominee program, in Alberta. If that was the case, the program does TRY to find you a job, in Alberta, that suits your skills and educational back ground.

Now for the direct question................What actual employment are you going to HAVE in that small place ? Come on tell us specifically WHAT you will be doing to earn a living there ??? OR are you going to be travelling to a work site, in another place ?

Details, please.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:58 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
85 people.
Just when I thought Edmonton was in the middle of nowhere!

Old 04-21-2014, 04:03 PM

676 posts, read 648,973 times
...it's a cold day in hell when being 2 hours away from Edmonton is considered good news
(i'm only kidding before I get infraction points!)

Old 04-21-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I hate to say this but.................This story has a lot of holes in it.

For a start, unless you applied as a Provincial Nominee in Alberta, no one can SEND you any where in Canada. Lets assume that you DID apply under the Provincial Nominee program, in Alberta. If that was the case, the program does TRY to find you a job, in Alberta, that suits your skills and educational back ground.

Now for the direct question................What actual employment are you going to HAVE in that small place ? Come on tell us specifically WHAT you will be doing to earn a living there ??? OR are you going to be travelling to a work site, in another place ?

Details, please.

Jim B.

Toronto.
Hey Jim,

Yes, I am going under the PNP to alberta.
I studied in Ottawa for two years in a program with absolutely no scope(scriptwriting; algonquin college). After doing crappy jobs I returned to India- hey, better to suffer there than here in the cold. In the two years I stayed there I tried some jobs and finally realized my desire to start my own business.

I wanted to start my business in Canada and bring jobs to the country, though in the beginning it wouldn't really bring anything in(start up). So I asked the government of Canada and they said I can apply under the start up visa category. The only dilemma- I needed a Canadian angel investor to invest in my business(minimum 75k). Disappointed because I didn't want any outside forces intruding in my ways of doing things(which is what angel investing is) I decided to throw caution to the wind and just come here on a tourist visa.

I landed in Toronto and realized that a friend of a friend can get me a job at BURGER KING(!!!) in Alberta. A pre approved LMO(seriously, who wants to work there anyway), and all I have to do is work for a year and few months until I can get a Permanent residency card and start my business.

That is the deal fair and square. I wished it could be in Toronto or Ottawa but PR takes much longer in Ontario(they say 5 years). I cannot wait that long and felt...hey, I am young, I can survive and just start my dream ASAP.

So, what do you say?
I am a country boy, I assimilate myself really well and am comfortable. But I have never lived in the middle of nowhere- seriously, google Wandering River and see what I mean. There are three streets, 85 people and one Burger King.
Seriously, a job in my field is virtually impossible. All my colleagues from school are either sitting at home playing video games or doing crappy jobs. This isn't the Hollywood dream we thought we'd be living. Now I want to start afresh. I have dreams of setting it in Vancouver or even Toronto but I need a PR first.

Also because I've said so much I'll just say everything: my uncle is a millionaire from the US(neurosurgeon). He will fund some money for my start up. But only possible after PR.

Last edited by rishi851; 04-21-2014 at 04:28 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
How on God's green earth did you get sent there? Clearly you pissed someone off in a past life.

Good news, Edmonton's only about 2 hours away. Bad news, you are in the middle of frickin' nowhere.

It won't be that bad. You'd be amazed at how busy people are and how close knit many small towns are, and what they do to create fun. Go with an open mind, and I'm sure it will be a great experience.

Your two new hobbies are golf and curling.
There are no golf or curling courses anywhere near. They have one big lake I think. And it's three hour drive to Edmonton and 2 and a half to Fort Mcmurray.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:03 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Buck up, kiddo, it won't be so bad, it will be an adventure. There are several other small communities within a one hour or less driving distance that have populations in the hundreds to thousands. But you will need a car to get around in. A truck would be best!

Here is a list of nearby towns and you can look them all up to find out more information about what they have to offer for recreation and socializing.

Wandering River (Alberta [AB]): Around the Neighborhood

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-21-2014 at 05:13 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 05:57 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,940 times
Edmonton is the nearest major city but it is still about an hour's drive of Athabasca and Lac La Biche - both smaller towns (around 2000 population) but I guess that's a bit better than 85. Get Netflix, it will be a long ride.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:39 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
Well, the town I live near has only two streets. Are you sure Wandering River only has 85 people? It has a seniors' centre and a golf course according to Wikipedia - if it really is only 85 people then it must serve a larger surrounding population. My town certainly doesn't have a seniors' centre or a golf course or a motel. I think my town has maybe 200 people - I think that is what they claim and what I claim must also be counting the dogs.

But it sounds like there are bigger towns around it and out here in these particular boonies, no one thinks anything of driving an hour to get to the city. That's an every day commute for a lot of people. And as far as that goes, you could possibly live in a larger town nearby, even if you are working in a smaller one. The reverse commute thing also happens here.

As far as hobbies go, I'm guessing shootin' and fishin' and quading.

I wish Stubblejumper would come back. He might have a good idea of this town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada