Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:13 AM

3,632 posts, read 3,429,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I hate to say this but.................This story has a lot of holes in it....
Details, please.
I agree. There are too many holes to be believeable.

To the best of my knowledge, PRs can go anywhere in Canada that they wish. So can those who are tourists, but they may not work. This OP seems to be telling us that he is not a PR (thus, he is a tourist), but he is being ordered to go and work someplace in Canada that he does not wish to.

He says,

Quote:
However due to some rules and legal regulations I have to relocate to the province of Alberta.
Who is telling him this? The Canadian government? I find it hard to believe that the Canadian government would be telling him, "We'll let you in on a tourist visa if you agree to work in a remote Alberta town." No, you cannot work on a tourist visa, no matter where. In order to work in Canada, you must be a PR, on some kind of international youth exchange work program, or a Canadian citizen. These "rules and legal regulations" the OP mentions would be cited on the paperwork the OP would have been given upon entry--OP, could you reprint/repost them here? Neutral or pinpoint citations to statutes and/or regulations are fine; I can find them online or at the local law library.

I have the feeling that there is something here that the OP is not telling us. OP, please clarify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 05:33 AM

7,310 posts, read 9,356,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
Hey Jim,

Yes, I am going under the PNP to alberta.
I studied in Ottawa for two years in a program with absolutely no scope(scriptwriting; algonquin college). After doing crappy jobs I returned to India- hey, better to suffer there than here in the cold. In the two years I stayed there I tried some jobs and finally realized my desire to start my own business.

I wanted to start my business in Canada and bring jobs to the country, though in the beginning it wouldn't really bring anything in(start up). So I asked the government of Canada and they said I can apply under the start up visa category. The only dilemma- I needed a Canadian angel investor to invest in my business(minimum 75k). Disappointed because I didn't want any outside forces intruding in my ways of doing things(which is what angel investing is) I decided to throw caution to the wind and just come here on a tourist visa.

I landed in Toronto and realized that a friend of a friend can get me a job at BURGER KING(!!!) in Alberta. A pre approved LMO(seriously, who wants to work there anyway), and all I have to do is work for a year and few months until I can get a Permanent residency card and start my business.

That is the deal fair and square. I wished it could be in Toronto or Ottawa but PR takes much longer in Ontario(they say 5 years). I cannot wait that long and felt...hey, I am young, I can survive and just start my dream ASAP.

So, what do you say?
I am a country boy, I assimilate myself really well and am comfortable. But I have never lived in the middle of nowhere- seriously, google Wandering River and see what I mean. There are three streets, 85 people and one Burger King.
Seriously, a job in my field is virtually impossible. All my colleagues from school are either sitting at home playing video games or doing crappy jobs. This isn't the Hollywood dream we thought we'd be living. Now I want to start afresh. I have dreams of setting it in Vancouver or even Toronto but I need a PR first.

Also because I've said so much I'll just say everything: my uncle is a millionaire from the US(neurosurgeon). He will fund some money for my start up. But only possible after PR.
My understanding of his post is this:

1) he is here on a tourist visa

2) he is not a PR

3) he therefore has been offered a job under the LMO - Labour Market Opinion - which employers apply for, not would-be immigrants, hence what the OP calls 'rules and regulations.' The employer applying for this LMO is in Alberta, therefore the only job available to the OP is in Alberta.

It seems from a brief search that one doesn't have to have PR status in order to be offered a job under the LMO but what doesn't make any sense at all is that under the LMO the employer has to convince the government that there is no Canadian or PR person available to take the job.

Now just how in the world that would apply to Burger King in Wandering River is beyond me. There's a shortage of Burger King workers in Alberta?

OP, now and then it hits the news about people taking advantage of new immigrants or people who want to immigrate to Canada. Before accepting this job offer I would find someone to check out the legitimacy of it. It does seem very strange indeed.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:25 PM

681 posts, read 1,562,929 times
I can believe it. Many of the workers at Tim Hortons in Calgary were brought in in under that program from the Philippines and Mexico.

Too many high paying oil and gas jobs in AB - even for those that lack a high school diploma - who's going to work at Burger King in the middle of no where for $10/hr??

Especially with the proximity of this hamlet to Fort Mac.....

Old 04-23-2014, 06:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,872,162 times
OP - Go with it. Meet new people and a vastly different winter. I have heard it is cold enough outside that people go into the freezer to warm up. Just kidding, sort of. I suggest staying open and friendly as see what happens.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:43 PM

9 posts, read 12,232 times
My response is a little different. You are moving here from a different country and you are expecting us to bend over and give you eveything you want before you become a PR. Sorry dude, you gotta put in a little time first. Its called opportunity.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:58 PM

91 posts, read 196,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledguy View Post
My response is a little different. You are moving here from a different country and you are expecting us to bend over and give you eveything you want before you become a PR. Sorry dude, you gotta put in a little time first. Its called opportunity.

I didn't even get what you said. Bend over and give me what? What did I ask for? Unless it was sarcasm and it went right over my head.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:48 PM

42 posts, read 154,849 times
Well rishi, I understand you'll have to put up with a lot of loneliness and cold for a couple of years until you get your PR. So it is a tradeoff. But I can tell you this: I am from India too and I know a lot of people who will give anything to be in your position!

Last edited by aziz93144; 04-23-2014 at 06:00 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 06:42 PM

7,310 posts, read 9,356,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post
I can believe it. Many of the workers at Tim Hortons in Calgary were brought in in under that program from the Philippines and Mexico.

Too many high paying oil and gas jobs in AB - even for those that lack a high school diploma - who's going to work at Burger King in the middle of no where for $10/hr??

Especially with the proximity of this hamlet to Fort Mac.....
Well, that's interesting. Maybe it is a legitimate offer, in which case the OP has to decide which idea he hates more - returning to India or working at Burger King in a small town with the potential of turning that experience into something better in the future. Who knows? If he goes he may one day use that experience in one of the movies he hopes to make one day.

Guy Maddin turned a childhood in Gimli into a remarkable film. Small towns and rural areas are not the death knell of creativity.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:14 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,464,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
or working at Burger King in a small town with the potential of turning that experience into something better in the future.
An Indian guy stuck in a small snowy hamlet flipping burgers and slowly unraveling the secret order of things... discovering the underbelly of Canadian being//// the riches and the poors of that province/// Indeed, what a potential for someone with a script-writing degree.

//// Naah, impossible for a fast food outlet to be located in a place with 85 people. Dying fishing villages have 150+ inhabitants. And there is NOTHING there. A small town of 2000 may splurge on an outlet.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:44 PM

91 posts, read 196,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, that's interesting. Maybe it is a legitimate offer, in which case the OP has to decide which idea he hates more - returning to India or working at Burger King in a small town with the potential of turning that experience into something better in the future. Who knows? If he goes he may one day use that experience in one of the movies he hopes to make one day.

Guy Maddin turned a childhood in Gimli into a remarkable film. Small towns and rural areas are not the death knell of creativity.
It isn't a question of hating. My life in India wasn't that bad. I had a well paying job in my field and the pay would've increased with time. It is about taking risks while I can. I don't want to become a Canadian citizen for the reason most people want to. I am not sending money back to family, I have no desire to ever marry or create offsprings.

I just have this dream. This business idea which can only flourish in the west. For that vision I have a choice to slug it out for a year and a half in a hamlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada