Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:35 PM

207 posts, read 749,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX14TJ View Post
When I lived in the US, I didn't pay much for healthcare at all. My employer paid the premiums and I just had a $10 co-pay for each visit.

I think universal medical coverage is horrible. That is probably my only real gripe about living in Canada. I can't stand the healthcare!
As a Canadian that belong to the 33% incometax bracket and don't even visit the family doctor or the hospital, I still will not give up our health care system for the US system, i even thought i would benefit a lot more if we have a us system. The reason is, I do feel that any CANADIAN should have at least the basic health care taken care off. And as a society it's our responsibility to take care of the sick and the dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 01:43 PM

207 posts, read 749,222 times
Quote:
[*]Less cost to the consumer in the US. Employers generally pay for insurance and co-pays are very low. Here in Canada, I am forced to pay higher taxes to support healthcare for those that don't pay in nearly as much as I do. In addition to the higher taxes, I am forced to live with substandard care. More cost in Canada for less service (see item #1).[/list]
That's the price we are willing to pay for our Health care system. Your feeling regarding the contribution(tax $$) the the fundemental reason why US have their Healthcare system and we have Our.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:40 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,302,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBilly View Post
That's the funniest thing I've read this month. There are not 45+ million people without healthcare here because "even the most basic of low end jobs generally have healthcare benefits"
There ARE NOT 45 million without healthcare in the United States. EVERYONE has access to healthcare in the US.

There are approximately 40 million in the US without health insurance - some 15 million of those are illegal immigrants.

No one is denied healthcare in the US.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantalia View Post
Argue that it is cheaper to live down there and there is less federal taxes to pay? True, BUT no one bothers to add in the much higher property taxes, the toll roads, many states have additional state taxes, and on top of that most families are paying out $800 per a month per a child for schooling, if they do not like the publicly funded schools in their area.
I read through this thread to get an idea from the Canadian's point of view about their health care system. I learned a lot. However, I can't let the bolded sentence pass. The vast, vast majority of American kids go to public schools, upwards of 90% in most areas, a little lower in some areas with large Catholic populations and Catholic school systems.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:14 PM

315 posts, read 1,625,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan85 View Post
As a Canadian that belong to the 33% incometax bracket and don't even visit the family doctor or the hospital, I still will not give up our health care system for the US system, i even thought i would benefit a lot more if we have a us system. The reason is, I do feel that any CANADIAN should have at least the basic health care taken care off. And as a society it's our responsibility to take care of the sick and the dying.
I can respect your viewpoint. I certainly don't think the US system is perfect. I just prefer it to the Canadian system. I just know I end up paying much more (on a percentage basis) in taxes here than I ever did in the US.

As Greatday pointed out, every American has at least the basic healthcare services they may need. If you were to call an ambulance, they don't make you write out a check before they take you to the hospital

Old 02-28-2008, 12:51 PM

501 posts, read 1,066,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There ARE NOT 45 million without healthcare in the United States. EVERYONE has access to healthcare in the US.

There are approximately 40 million in the US without health insurance - some 15 million of those are illegal immigrants.

No one is denied healthcare in the US.
There we 45.8 million back in '04. The number is closer to 50 million now.

The Number Of Uninsured Americans Continued To Rise In 2004, 8/30/05

Old 02-28-2008, 03:11 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,760,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
There we 45.8 million back in '04. The number is closer to 50 million now.

The Number Of Uninsured Americans Continued To Rise In 2004, 8/30/05
Let's try and keep the thread on the topic of Canadian health insurance, please.

As for the difference of opinion referenced above, members seem to be arguing over the difference between "healthcare" and "health insurance".

Old 03-04-2008, 04:57 AM
DRD

37 posts, read 124,905 times
Quote:
With the (fairly standard) insurance my employer paid for, surgery was $50 and office visits were $10.

With that in mind, a hopsital stay and surgery with 5 follow up office visits would run $100 in total.
Ok, lose your job where the employer paid your health insurance, with a pre existing condition, and tell me what you'd pay.

You know no insurance company will touch you with the proverbial ten foot pole and now the cost will come out of your pocket.

How is it that since your employer pays the bill you figure that the only cost is your co-pay?

What does your employer pay each month for your premiums? $400, $500, $600 or more each month per employee, thats hardly cheap.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:02 AM
DRD

37 posts, read 124,905 times
Default Write a check

Quote:
I can respect your viewpoint. I certainly don't think the US system is perfect. I just prefer it to the Canadian system. I just know I end up paying much more (on a percentage basis) in taxes here than I ever did in the US.

As Greatday pointed out, every American has at least the basic healthcare services they may need. If you were to call an ambulance, they don't make you write out a check before they take you to the hospital
No, maybe not before, but depending on how long your in the hospital you may get a bill before you leave.

And if you don't pay they send it to collections where it will ruin your credit rating. Not many Canadians can say they had their credit ruined for inability to pay for medical expenses.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:28 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,466,207 times
Yeah and supposedly Canada's top tax bracket is 29% (at least that is what I read). I pay in the 28% bracket in the US & don't get the same level of services back at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
We pay about $1,200 per month in premiums for 70 percent coverage of medical, dental and prescription. That extra 30 percent we pay out of pocket adds up to several thousand dollars a year for our family of four.

When Americans scream about how high our taxes would have to be to pay for universal medical coverage, my reply is that it can't possibly be more than the $16,000 we pay out of pocket annually. And that's without a major illness in the family. Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada