Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 09:38 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post

Personally, I don't think wall-to-wall bilingualism is necessary in Quebec. Whenever I go to Quebec, I'm looking for the authentic Francophone experience, not some watered-down bilingual culture where everyone speaks to me in English the moment they realize I'm from ROC.
I understand, believe and appreciate that. But not everyone who actually lives in Quebec and is a non-francophone feels that way.

Now, I don't want to make it seem worse than it is. A large proportion (a majority in fact) of non-francophones in Quebec including anglophones either speak French very well or at least make an effort to at least try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post
In other words, you want sovereignty. What you are talking about is basically the same thing that the PQ was running on last year. Not full independence, but just sovereignty, a special autonomous status for Quebec.
Sovereignty as defined by the PQ = outright independence

Read their program

Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 AM

170 posts, read 182,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Why do you guys always try to pigeonhole me? It's very annoying. Don't tell me how to vote or what my political leanings are. I know this issue upside down and inside out.
Sorry, not trying to pigeonhole, I'm just making a general statement. What you are describing is basically the PQ agenda.

I also know the issue inside and out. I know that there is something different in elections in Quebec that doesn't exist elsewhere in N. America. I don't know what the right word is for it other than something like "dependence". What I mean is that there are a lot of Quebecois who say what you say and basically want the PQ's agenda, but for some reason have this thing where they look down on the PQ and refuse to vote for them. Instead they cast their lot with the PLQ who is obviously not anywhere near aiming for autonomy for Quebec.

Basically almost all francophone Quebecois sound like separatists when you listen to them talk about what they want for Quebec. The difference is that the ones who vote for the PLQ expect the English to give it to them, while the separatists expect to earn it themselves. It is a different mentality of independence and self reliance. Not saying you, so don't worry, but it is a phenomenon that exists in Quebec and I noticed it doesn't exist elsewhere.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Sovereignty as defined by the PQ = outright independence

Read their program
Well what you are describing sounds pretty much like Marois' sovereignty-association plans. Although I'm sure you voted for Couillard (right?). Couillard's tactic is more or less cross our fingers and hope our overlords will give us more. It's weird how that works.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Well what you are describing sounds pretty much like Marois' sovereignty-association plans. Although I'm sure you voted for Couillard (right?). .
Not even my wife knows how I vote!

Old 03-04-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Not even my wife knows how I vote!
Now that that's funny!

Old 03-04-2015, 10:09 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,176,703 times
Quote:
Sorry, not trying to pigeonhole, I'm just making a general statement. What you are describing is basically the PQ agenda.

I also know the issue inside and out. I know that there is something different in elections in Quebec that doesn't exist elsewhere in N. America. I don't know what the right word is for it other than something like "dependence". What I mean is that there are a lot of Quebecois who say what you say and basically want the PQ's agenda, but for some reason have this thing where they look down on the PQ and refuse to vote for them. Instead they cast their lot with the PLQ who is obviously not anywhere near aiming for autonomy for Quebec.

Basically almost all francophone Quebecois sound like separatists when you listen to them talk about what they want for Quebec. The difference is that the ones who vote for the PLQ expect the English to give it to them, while the separatists expect to earn it themselves. It is a different mentality of independence and self reliance. Not saying you, so don't worry, but it is a phenomenon that exists in Quebec and I noticed it doesn't exist elsewhere.
Maybe most Quebecois who voted for PLQ also want to maintain the current ties and associations with Canada, and not burn bridges? I don't think this always has to be about emotional nationalistic politics. Afterall, Canada is one of the largest economies in the world, and Toronto's GDP alone is the entire size of Quebec's and 3x that of Montreal, not to mention plenty of economic opportunities in the west in cities like Calgary and Vancouver. If Quebec becomes a separate nation-state, the current access to those opportunities (career, labor mobility, education, life-style) could all become much less accessible to your average Quebecois.

I'm not saying those factors are absolute essentials when Quebecois vote for a party like PLQ, but maybe most people who vote for PLQ just want to keep their options open, for themselves and for their children.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:41 PM

242 posts, read 242,671 times
Quote:
If Quebec becomes a separate nation-state, the current access to those opportunities (career, labor mobility, education, life-style) could all become much less accessible to your average Quebecois.
You don't understand, they already are almost inaccessible because they are culturally foreign. The average Québecois will never go to a school in Alberta or consider going to find a job in Vancouver. It is like immigrating to a different country. We will have to master a new language, we will be outsiders, it's like ok, so what's the point? That is why young Québecois move to Montréal but rarely Toronto. Toronto is not our cultural or economic center, it is the center for anglo Canada. That is the reality at the bottom of things. This is why places like Toronto have almost no Québecois presence. Going to Toronto is no different culturally than going to Florida, we don't feel more at home in either one.

Actually I would not be surprised if there are more Québecois in Florida than in Ontario or even outside of Québec generally. And there in Florida the Québecois do not associate with anglo Canadians, we stay seperate. We can not even see who is anglo Canadian and who is American, it looks the same for us. All of the pretending that we are one nation of Canada is exposed for it's realities that we are two nations who happen to share a federal government.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Maybe most Quebecois who voted for PLQ also want to maintain the current ties and associations with Canada, and not burn bridges? I don't think this always has to be about emotional nationalistic politics. Afterall, Canada is one of the largest economies in the world, and Toronto's GDP alone is the entire size of Quebec's and 3x that of Montreal, not to mention plenty of economic opportunities in the west in cities like Calgary and Vancouver. If Quebec becomes a separate nation-state, the current access to those opportunities (career, labor mobility, education, life-style) could all become much less accessible to your average Quebecois.

I'm not saying those factors are absolute essentials when Quebecois vote for a party like PLQ, but maybe most people who vote for PLQ just want to keep their options open, for themselves and for their children.
Nah, it is a common mistake for people outside of Quebec and in the US to assume that Quebecer federalists are patriotic about Canada and/or have some feeling of kinship. You would think that, but it doesn't work that way. It's about who can give the most to Quebec. Whether Federalist or separatist, they are loyal to Quebec. Most francophones who are federalists are only federalists because they think it is the best thing for Quebec at the moment, not necessarily out of any particular feelings for Canada. At best they will have a loyalty to Canada in a vague kind of way, as long as it is still in Quebec's best interest. In the States your best parallel would probably be Puerto Rico or something. That is why in Quebec Canada day is hardly even celebrated, it's pretty much just another day. Actually Canada Day in Quebec is better known as moving day, kind of like spring cleaning for you. You won't see much if anything about Canada day, but you will see a lot of people moving boxes. The national celebration in Quebec is St. Jean-Baptiste day, also called la fete-nationale (national holiday).

Old 03-04-2015, 01:09 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,176,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
You don't understand, they already are almost inaccessible because they are culturally foreign. The average Québecois will never go to a school in Alberta or consider going to find a job in Vancouver. It is like immigrating to a different country. We will have to master a new language, we will be outsiders, it's like ok, so what's the point? That is why young Québecois move to Montréal but rarely Toronto. Toronto is not our cultural or economic center, it is the center for anglo Canada. That is the reality at the bottom of things. This is why places like Toronto have almost no Québecois presence. Going to Toronto is no different culturally than going to Florida, we don't feel more at home in either one.

Actually I would not be surprised if there are more Québecois in Florida than in Ontario or even outside of Québec generally. And there in Florida the Québecois do not associate with anglo Canadians, we stay seperate. We can not even see who is anglo Canadian and who is American, it looks the same for us. All of the pretending that we are one nation of Canada is exposed for it's realities that we are two nations who happen to share a federal government.
How does being culturally different have anything to do with finding career opportunities outside of Quebec? I mean, of course if you want to find a decent job in Toronto or Vancouver, you'll need a good command of English - the same would go for someone seeking opportunities in Montreal that requires a good command of French.

My main point is the relative ease of access to the rest of Canada. Sure, as a Quebecois you'll need to speak English if you find a job in Toronto. Once you possess that skill, you have equal opportunity as every other Canadian (in fact even better chances than your anglo-Canadians due to your bilingual capability; I work at a large U.S. tech company in Toronto that reserves a set number of positions just for candidates with bilingual background). No work permit or visa required. No hindrance to labor mobility. It's a totally different story if you want to find a job in Florida, where U.S. enacts strict visa requirements and quotas on the number of foreign workers.

I also don't understand the need to routinely bring up the issue of cultural uniqueness/difference, especially when I am specifically discussing the ease of labor mobility between Canadian provinces. I am of ethnic Chinese origin who grew up in Germany and went to school in America, but nobody ever asks me about my "cultural background" during job interviews, even though I speak English with a strong German accent. As long as the host province/country is friendly and tolerant, I could care less about what my employer thinks about my "culture" or "ethnicity".

Toronto has almost no Quebecois presence? Not from my experience. In the short 7 months since I moved here last summer, I made 5 new friends who are from Quebec City and surrounding areas, all randomly met at different social functions. They are all young millenials working in white-collar jobs, and none have plans to return to Quebec in the near future due to better career advancement opportunities and higher pay in Toronto. People move to places with better economic performance and higher perceived living standard and income - that is a fact no matter where you are in the world.

Last edited by bostonkid123; 03-04-2015 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada