Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 10:12 AM

542 posts, read 503,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Another line of logic is while Quebec continues to mooch off the rest of Canada to maintain its existence it has entrenched itself into a position of never having the wherewithal to go it on its own it will always need Canada to survive. Your posts do serve the purpose of exposing the true character of your francophone culture as basically an ungrateful welfare state that will never have enough resources to nobly and proudly separate as a francophone nation to form a new country of Quebec.
With your logic PB your cultural place will always be just a province in a corner of Canada a place and culture most dont know about and the rest dont care about relegated to be a very insignificant small time player in the North American scheme of things.
Separation is your only option at achieving more than just the cultural status of also ran..
I believe the Americans would say the same about Canada. Don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house, Jambo 101.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 11:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
I believe the Americans would say the same about Canada. Don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house, Jambo 101.
Please explain how the relationship between USA and Canada is the same as Quebecs relationship with Canada.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Please explain how the relationship between USA and Canada is the same as Quebecs relationship with Canada.
The biggest difference is that Quebec has much more dignity than Canada. Jambo 101, I have far too much respect for you to be juggling with such silly questions.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:15 PM

Lets revert back to my post 330,so far your responses to it are gibberish and deflection and certainly doesnt represent a francophone demographic that supposedly has more dignity than Canada..
Try again.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Lets revert back to my post 330,so far your responses to it are gibberish and deflection and certainly doesnt represent a francophone demographic that supposedly has more dignity than Canada..
Try again.
Canada is a dependent state of Canada, just like Quebec is a dependent state of Canada. You don't believe otherwise, do you?

Old 03-08-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Canada is a dependent state of Canada,
Did you mean to say Canada is a dependent state of the USA? If so Canada is a very big trading partner with the USA and not a welfare state relying on American handouts to survive. If America were not around it would be tough however Canada would survive in the global economy. Given Quebecs state of affairs it would have a much tougher time of it if all of a sudden Canada were not footing much of the bill for Quebecs infrastructure.
PB i'm surprised you dont see the logic of Quebec standing on its own two feet and becoming a country of its own. Canada can do no more for Quebec,its time for Quebec to leave the nest and soar to its full potential.Quebec is wasting its time continually hanging on to the coattails of another nation.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:05 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Did you mean to say Canada is a dependent state of the USA? If so Canada is a very big trading partner with the USA and not a welfare state relying on American handouts to survive. If America were not around it would be tough however Canada would survive in the global economy. Given Quebecs state of affairs it would have a much tougher time of it if all of a sudden Canada were not footing much of the bill for Quebecs infrastructure.
PB i'm surprised you dont see the logic of Quebec standing on its own two feet and becoming a country of its own. Canada can do no more for Quebec,its time for Quebec to leave the nest and soar to its full potential.Quebec is wasting its time continually hanging on to the coattails of another nation.
Good point re Canada and the U.S trade relationship.. As a matter of fact, 35 U.S states count Canada's Provinces as their largest export markets.. Both countries rely on one another for trade and prosperity - its too bad when some feel the need to gravitate towards sentiment of reliance when a partnership is based on mutual benefit.. It is unnecessary aggravation that serves no practical purpose other than to flair emotions..

Old 03-08-2015, 09:45 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
There is no use debating with a separatist. Don't allow them to fool you into believing that there isn't more work to be done together. I'm sure you'll agree that Canada will do much more for Quebec. Canada needs to step up to plate (and I know it will) and play ball. I am fully confident that Canadians prefer working as partners to Quebec to losing 1/4 of their land, population, prestige, and economy, and become as laughing stock.
I think you misunderstand me. As a patriotic Canadian, I'd rather negotiate with honest separatists than self-centered ME ME ME federalists like you.

When Quebec loses its net $19 billion inflow of equalization payments and other financial incentives from Ottawa, we'll see who becomes the Greece of North America. Since 1957, Quebec received $253 billion in equalization payments (50% of national total), while contributing $107 billion during the same period. That's a lot of extra cash that any province in ROC would love to get their hands on when Quebec is gone. Oh, and the City of Toronto's economy alone is the size of the entire GDP of the Nation of Quebec. I don't think many Torontonians will be shedding too many tears when Quebec becomes Greece, because Ontario will only become the most direct beneficiary of a Canada sans Quebec. I know, we in Ontario are just as selfish as you are.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/17...ayment-program

Old 03-08-2015, 10:01 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I think you misunderstand me. As a patriotic Canadian, I'd rather negotiate with honest separatists than self-centered ME ME ME federalists like you.

When Quebec loses its net $19 billion inflow of equalization payments and other financial incentives from Ottawa, we'll see who becomes the Greece of North America. Since 1957, Quebec received $253 billion in equalization payments (50% of national total), while contributing $107 billion during the same period. That's a lot of extra cash that any province in ROC would love to get their hands on when Quebec is gone. Oh, and the City of Toronto's economy alone is the size of the entire GDP of the Nation of Quebec. I don't think many Torontonians will be shedding too many tears when Quebec becomes Greece, because Ontario will only become the most direct beneficiary of a Canada sans Quebec. I know, we in Ontario are just as selfish as you are.

Quebec proves that not all is equal in Canada's equalization payment program | R
19 billion within a 1.8 trillion economy... Big deal BK.. Really, we have bigger fish to fry lol than to worry about that money... Besides, aside from 'incentives' there are 4 other provinces in Canada that get more on a per cap basis - no sense just slinging mud at Quebec if we are going to worry about this stuff (which largely i don't think we should).

On another note however, any province that goes it alone has to look at existing trade agreements they enjoy in Canada that would need to be renogotiated and other inconveniences such as defense pacts that would no longer be valid, currency requirements, debt repayment requirements, defense requirements among many others - on top of the following key points re the clarity act even before independance is achieved but is a requirement as per the clarity act:

Giving the House of Commons the power to decide whether a proposed referendum question was considered clear before the public vote;

Specifically stating that any question not solely referring to secession was to be considered unclear;

Giving the House of Commons the power to determine whether or not a clear majority had expressed itself following any referendum vote, implying that some sort of supermajority is required for success;

Stating that all provinces and the First Nations were to be part of the negotiations;

Allowing the House of Commons to override a referendum decision if it felt the referendum violated any of the tenets of the Clarity Act;

The secession of a province of Canada would require an amendment to the Constitution of Canada.

There are a lot of steps to go through before getting from A to Z..

Last edited by fusion2; 03-08-2015 at 10:11 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 10:05 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
19 billion within a 1.8 trillion economy... Big deal BK.. Really, we have bigger fish to fry lol than to worry about that money... Besides, aside from 'incentives' there are 4 other provinces in Canada that get more on a per cap basis - no sense just slinging mud at Quebec if we are going to worry about this stuff (which largely i don't think we should).
Yes, but still, $19 billion, or any savings on equalization payments is a lot of money. Think how many new subway and LRT lines we could build and improve in Toronto with $19 billion cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada