Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 10:03 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times

Advertisements

Just a what if scenario since some like to just undercore how much Q.C is getting in terms of transfer payments simply by speaking in absolute terms instead of on a per capita basis. If say Nova Scotia morphed into the size of Q.C population wise how much would it get in transfer money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 01:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You always give articles from the same source: anglo media outlets. Of course many of them are going to say that Quebec bashing is a figment of people's imagination. It's their brothers and sisters who are doing it.
Its obvious that these posted links are coming from the Anglo perspective as its the Anglo demographic thats being subjected to cultural elimination in Quebec and the rest of Canada every so often being threatened with losing a vast chunk of its territory through separation. Coming from an Anglo upbringing AJ its odd that you seem to be puzzled as to why Anglos may be just a little bit peeved at Quebecs attitude/actions and that some criticism of Quebec may be forth coming, call it bashing if you like,but dont take it too personally as most of those grievances are directed at the actions of Quebecs government rather than its people.
In fact werent you a little peeved at the Anglos when francophones were evidently victims of Anglo suppression/domination .?I'm sure there was and still is Anglo bashing going on then and still going on today.

Last edited by jambo101; 03-10-2015 at 01:38 AM..

Old 03-10-2015, 06:15 AM

692 posts, read 957,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I wouldn't call anyone dumb, simply for their opinion. We are all here to have civil discussions, not name calling. If one is looking for online fights, just proceed to the comment sections on Youtube. I know PBeauchamp doesn't speak for all of Quebec, but honestly, read his previous posts - he made a hell lot of provocative comments and made it sound like most Quebecois are with him.
It's one thing when you've got all of your facts right but simply interpret them differently, it's quite another when you don't have your facts right and make inflammatory statements. I find the latter to be dumb, to be quite frank, however like I said no harm no foul. I'm 100% certain I say and do dumb **** all the time. We all do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its obvious that these posted links are coming from the Anglo perspective as its the Anglo demographic thats being subjected to cultural elimination in Quebec and the rest of Canada every so often being threatened with losing a vast chunk of its territory through separation. Coming from an Anglo upbringing AJ its odd that you seem to be puzzled as to why Anglos may be just a little bit peeved at Quebecs attitude/actions and that some criticism of Quebec may be forth coming, call it bashing if you like,but dont take it too personally as most of those grievances are directed at the actions of Quebecs government rather than its people.
In fact werent you a little peeved at the Anglos when francophones were evidently victims of Anglo suppression/domination .?I'm sure there was and still is Anglo bashing going on then and still going on today.
The key difference here though is that the current position of the Anglos in Quebec is largely a result of their systematic oppression of Francophones. Had the Anglos not marginalised the Francophone community to such an extent that such a wide gap was present between them, there would be no need for laws like Loi 101. They created the climate for this to happen in the first place.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:07 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
They'll seek bailouts from the Rest of America (play on ROC) the way Greece is getting bailed out by Europe. That's why as an American I disagree with Quebec's policies.
This is just so bizarre. What would be the framework for the United States government to bail out Quebec? Do they bail out Mexico, which is in a shape 100 times worse than Quebec would ever be?

Old 03-10-2015, 08:51 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
It's one thing when you've got all of your facts right but simply interpret them differently, it's quite another when you don't have your facts right and make inflammatory statements. I find the latter to be dumb, to be quite frank, however like I said no harm no foul. I'm 100% certain I say and do dumb **** all the time. We all do.

The key difference here though is that the current position of the Anglos in Quebec is largely a result of their systematic oppression of Francophones. Had the Anglos not marginalised the Francophone community to such an extent that such a wide gap was present between them, there would be no need for laws like Loi 101. They created the climate for this to happen in the first place.
If I didn't have my facts right, you can point them out and provide your own figures and citations. I stated that Quebec receives a large amount of equalization payments from the federal government - roughly 50% of all given out since 1957. I also provided a figure that Quebec receives $19 billion in total federal fiscal aid, which can be found in the Quebec Budget 2014-2015. If you believe those interpretations are incorrect, please say so and stick to the fact instead of name calling. It's easy to hide behind an anonymous account and call this or that dumb, but please keep it civil and stick to the topic.

If I did say anything incorrect or inflammatory - please point them out and provide evidence to the contrary. Just calling me "dumb" doesn't do much good. Not trying to pick a fight - I just want more information, and genuinely learn about this subject. If you read my previous posts, I usually do make an effort to accommodate view points and facts from both sides. I only react negatively and hit back when genuinely dumb posters like PBeauchamp start degrading this discussion to the lowest denominator. From reading your comments - lexdiamondz1902 - I actually agree with most of the points you've made. I don't agree with separatism, but I can certainly appreciate your argument because they do make sense from the Quebecois perspective.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:58 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Just a what if scenario since some like to just undercore how much Q.C is getting in terms of transfer payments simply by speaking in absolute terms instead of on a per capita basis. If say Nova Scotia morphed into the size of Q.C population wise how much would it get in transfer money?
If Nova Scotia had Quebec's population it would get over 10 billion dollars in equalization a year. Something like that. So would Manitoba BTW.

PEI would get close to 20 billion dollars a year in equalization if it had Quebec's population.

(Quebec currently gets about 7-8 billion a year.)

Old 03-10-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If Nova Scotia had Quebec's population it would get over 10 billion dollars in equalization a year. Something like that. So would Manitoba BTW.

PEI would get close to 20 billion dollars a year in equalization if it had Quebec's population.

(Quebec currently gets about 7-8 billion a year.)
In the past fiscal year 2014-2015, Quebec received $9.286 billion in equalization.
In this fiscal year 2015-2016, Quebec will receive $9.521 billion.

Federal Support to Provinces and Territories

Old 03-10-2015, 09:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
I

I'd be interested in seeing some examples of this marginalization of the francophone community and oppression that the Anglophones supposedly put to francophones,
All i can find is the massive financial and production infrastructure that the Anglos brought to the province benefiting the province in a major economic way.If thats considered oppression and marginalization then feed me more of it.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:46 PM

Where's our "Loyal Canadian"? Before the mods deleted that bigot's account, I managed to find a few of his finer quotes from today. A bit mind blowing really to read this kind of verbage on a Canada forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal Canadian
1 American is equal to 3 Chinese.
Quote:
Chinese are at an inherent and unchangeable racial disadvantage compared to the Americans.
Quote:
Canada is a nation constructed for the White race.
Quote:
The Asiatics are not and cannot ever be Canadian any more than a monkey can be an elephant.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:07 PM

77 posts, read 99,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Where's our "Loyal Canadian"? Before the mods deleted that bigot's account, I managed to find a few of his finer quotes from today. A bit mind blowing really to read this kind of verbage on a Canada forum.
It is not so surprising. I have met many Canadians like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada