Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:51 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
Makes sense to me. Canada has a bit of an identity crisis that results in a ridiculous complex vis a vis America. Some people get over it, others dont. I think the media plays it up to be that being an insecure weakling is part of Canadian culture. Something I hate. The pinnacle was the I AM CANADIAN Molson commercial. I almost vomited seeing it. Here is another example. A Scott Williams poem about being Canadian.

I am Canadian.

I am trying to like myself but feel bad telling you this.

I have secretly always believed I was ugly although I wondered if I was good-looking.

I am paranoid about people thinking I may be arrogant.

My parents told me I was a winner but I thought that it would be conceited to believe them.

I have spent my entire life struggling with self-esteem.

If you tell me I am a loser I am prone to believe you.

I am Canadian.

I just can't get into that mentality. It makes me ashamed rather than proud. The American poem would be about trying your best and perservering against the odds or something like that.
That silly ad was actually made by an American advertising firm. It irked many Canadians and I don't think it represents us, but is a very exaggerated portrayal.

Again, one poem says more about the poet than the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 01:55 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,895,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisyjanne View Post
Can I ask a serious question? What is it about us that makes Americans feel like they have to make fun of us or put us down. Most Americans don't think about us (you don't have to remind me) but some are always trying to get in a little snide remark anywhere they can.

I was ordering something over the phone from a U.S company and I spent around 15 minutes with a seemingly professional woman until just to the end she made a snide comment. I just don't know why they "tease" us.
I really don't know about these one-on-one interactions, but in the US media and pop culture, most Canadian references are really meant to insult American ignorance.

For example, in the South Park cartoon, the main characters all go to Canada to meet the prime minister, who is basically based on the Wizard of Oz. Then they get there, it turns out that the prime minister is really Saddam Hussein behind a curtain hiding out. All the Canadians look like these Pac-man characters, and they are also told that Canada only has one road. The French Canadian looks like a mime. The real joke, though, is American ignorance. It's sort of like Borat. The whole point wasn't to make fun of Kazakhstan, but Americans some of whom will probably believe it.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Well the conversation started with me not knowing about hockey. Then talking about where I was from and where I've lived. They asked me what I thought about Canada and I answered that I thought it was cold haha. We did talk for about 30 minutes, so maybe they just got comfortable with me and felt moving the convo to comparing the two countries and had a need to tell me the areas in which Canada excelled because maybe I was the first random American off the street that was willing to listen. By no means was this a rude exchange.
Well without being there it's hard to say why he started down that road.

The only similar conversations I have had with Americans ( the last one in October ) was when an American stated the US had the best worker protection in their labour laws than anyone else in the world.

It's a statement that I just couldn't ignore, since my silence would of been taken as agreeing.

To be fair though, I have had Americans visiting say what they like about Canada, and I have said the same about certain things in the US to Americans.

It's not just Americans that Canadians have these conversations with. I have to put up with some arrogant Europeans who've said all sort of weird things about Canada and the US. I defend both countries by countering with facts when I'm there.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I really don't know about these one-on-one interactions, but in the US media and pop culture, most Canadian references are really meant to insult American ignorance.

For example, in the South Park cartoon, the main characters all go to Canada to meet the prime minister, who is basically based on the Wizard of Oz. Then they get there, it turns out that the prime minister is really Saddam Hussein behind a curtain hiding out. All the Canadians look like these Pac-man characters, and they are also told that Canada only has one road. The French Canadian looks like a mime. The real joke, though, is American ignorance. It's sort of like Borat. The whole point wasn't to make fun of Kazakhstan, but Americans some of whom will probably believe it.
LOL. Yes, but these jokes go over too many people heads, on both sides of the border.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:04 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
Makes sense to me. Canada has a bit of an identity crisis that results in a ridiculous complex vis a vis America. Some people get over it, others dont. I think the media plays it up to be that being an insecure weakling is part of Canadian culture. Something I hate. The pinnacle was the I AM CANADIAN Molson commercial. I almost vomited seeing it. Here is another example. A Scott Williams poem about being Canadian.

I am Canadian.

I am trying to like myself but feel bad telling you this.

I have secretly always believed I was ugly although I wondered if I was good-looking.

I am paranoid about people thinking I may be arrogant.

My parents told me I was a winner but I thought that it would be conceited to believe them.

I have spent my entire life struggling with self-esteem.

If you tell me I am a loser I am prone to believe you.

I am Canadian.

I just can't get into that mentality. It makes me ashamed rather than proud. The American poem would be about trying your best and perservering against the odds or something like that.
Molson Brewery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excerpted from above: "In 2000 Molson attracted a great deal of media attention with its "I am Canadian" advertising campaign. The original sixty second commercial of Joe Canada tried to define what it means to be Canadian based on many light-hearted and stereotypical images of Canada. This campaign generated much publicity and national pride. The ad campaign received a Bronze Lion award at the international advertising awards in Cannes, France. Since then, Molson has transitioned from their old advertising agency, Bensimon Byrne, in favour of another Toronto based shop, Crispin Porter & Bogusky. Molson Canadian advertising in the United States is handled by Taxi New York, an advertising firm with Canadian roots."

Did you understand that part about it being intended as a "light hearted" and lampooning of "stereotypical" images of Canada?

Not to worry though as when Molsons merged with Coors in 2005 they dropped that quicker than a girl being handed a wet frog.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:23 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well without being there it's hard to say why he started down that road.

The only similar conversations I have had with Americans ( the last one in October ) was when an American stated the US had the best worker protection in their labour laws than anyone else in the world.

It's a statement that I just couldn't ignore, since my silence would of been taken as agreeing.

To be fair though, I have had Americans visiting say what they like about Canada, and I have said the same about certain things in the US to Americans.

It's not just Americans that Canadians have these conversations with. I have to put up with some arrogant Europeans who've said all sort of weird things about Canada and the US. I defend both countries by countering with facts when I'm there.
People commencing a conversation with a query known from the outset to leave the other party at a loss and floundering is rude behaviour. It might be deemed benign in relevance by the recipient, but nevertheless, it's rude. Indeed if it is done with the express purpose of furtherance of a hypothetical "superiority", it warrants a concise rebuttal.

I will tell you all frankly that I do not know of any other two countries whose citizens are so ready to criticize "themselves" to the extent both Canadians and Americans are prone to do.

I have been present when Americans have been tearing themselves a new orifice over some perceived failure or another. They can be pretty critical of themselves when comfortable with their audience.

Sometimes it behooves both countries citizens to remember exactly what it is that makes us both unique and admired by the bulk of the worlds citizens; if many independent polls and assessments are to be believed.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:42 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
My impression since reading these forums is that Americans frequently exercise a knee-jerk superiority complex with regard to Canada.

I lived for a good share of my life not far from the Canada border, and in seventy-seven years have been in Canada countless times. No one has ever given me a mini-inquisition because I was an American. No one ever seemed to give a flip that I was American, though when I lived in NYC people were often curious about life there.

However, maybe times have changed, or maybe I have just been totally insensitive to chauvinistic grillings by fulminating Canadians.

I've now lived fifteen years in Europe, and somehow have missed the anti-American attacks that seem to be visited on other Americans who have travelled here.
There's definately some truth to this post - especially in red.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
when you adore another country whole heartedly, and almost trade exclusively with another country to the extent that your economy/culture depends on it, and your national defense entirely relies on it as well, they look down upon you. Shouldn't come as a surprise, should it?

It is Canada's fault if at all.
With respect to trade believe it or not - exports to the U.S have gone down quite a bit over the last few decades as Canada has expanded trade with other nations.. You also have to take into account the U.S has been the largest economy in the world for a long time so a nation that borders it, has similar approaches to democracy and values and also has had a lot of what the U.S needs - stands to reason trade is going to be huge.. For 37 States, Canada is their biggest export market and don't negate the importance of Canadian investment in the U.S.. The reason it is imbalanced is simply due to the size of the U.S, but both countries rely on one another for trade which to me isn't surprising or necessarily a negative either.

http://www.tradecommissioner.gc.ca/e...jsp?did=143041

Also, and this is somewhat speculate but isn't beyond the realm of any logic or reasonable explanation.. The U.S is going to want to be the big kid on the block when it comes to matters of defense... Do you really think they would want a nuclear powered superpower right beside them (we could have become exactly that back in the 50's/60's)... There were moves to quell the development of a powerful Canadian Military by the U.S, particularly after WWII.. The Avro Arrow is a perfect example of that so there has been a desire for the U.S to ensure that they 'protect' us so that there is regional dominance and no competition to that whatsover.. Is that surprising to you.? Its geopolitical hegemony.. Its also understandable but what is odd is the necessity to display cognitive dissonance about the matter.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-09-2015 at 06:05 PM..

Old 02-09-2015, 06:29 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
With respect to trade believe it or not - exports to the U.S have gone down quite a bit over the last few decades as Canada has expanded trade with other nations.. You also have to take into account the U.S has been the largest economy in the world for a long time so a nation that borders it, has similar approaches to democracy and values and also has had a lot of what the U.S needs - stands to reason trade is going to be huge.. For 37 States, Canada is their biggest export market and don't negate the importance of Canadian investment in the U.S.. The reason it is imbalanced is simply due to the size of the U.S, but both countries rely on one another for trade which to me isn't surprising or necessarily a negative either.

Canada's exports diversify beyond the U.S.
A 10% drop in exports to the US is defined as "quite a bit"?

Much of the decrease had to do with the crash of the US economy. And the data is from 2012. Exports to the US are up again with (a) stronger US economy, and (b) weaker Canadian $

Canada spends a lot of time and money to encourage and expand trade with the US. This includes Billion $$ investments to build bridges and improve trade routes. Seems like you are rooting for trade between the two countries to go down.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
A 10% drop in exports to the US is defined as "quite a bit"?

Much of the decrease had to do with the crash of the US economy. And the data is from 2012. Exports to the US are up again with (a) stronger US economy, and (b) weaker Canadian $

Canada spends a lot of time and money to encourage and expand trade with the US. This includes Billion $$ investments to build bridges and improve trade routes. Seems like you are rooting for trade between the two countries to go down.
10 percent in little more than a decade is quite a bit yes - I would say its a significant amount.. I believe in the 80's almost 90 percent of exports were to the U.S so in less that 30 years that's almost 20 percent..

Sure exports to the U.S will go up with a weaker Cad dollar and a stronger U.S economy but its all relative, a weaker CAD dollar will also see exports go up with other nations as well. One thing Canada has been doing a good job over the last few decades is to expand trade with other nations.. So in 10 or 20 years if exports are say 60 percent going to the U.S - yes over time this is significant decrease in relative terms but it is still a very healthy and strong trade relationship but continued diversification will not hurt Canada...

I'm not rooting for trade to go down with anyone.. Having said that we need a partner who wants to have a strong trade relationship that demonstrates that they value it.. Have you read about the new bridge debacle between Windsor and Detroit? Putting things into perspective, yes both countries largely value the trade relationship but lets just leave it at valuing it and cease the nonsensical personification of the relationship like so many do treating it like some imbalanced spousal relationship where one country is the submissive partner..

Anyway, I do think it is also a good idea to expand trade with other nations plus grow it with the U.S but inevitably as the global influence and importance of the U.S economy wanes in relative terms - we do need to see more beyond to other more emerging markets.. This isn't bad for Canada at all.. Is it? What is your desire for the Canadian economy?

Last edited by fusion2; 02-09-2015 at 07:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada