Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 12:08 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,541,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You forgot the leather elbow patches on that tweed jacket. And cheese-cutter caps were popular during the hipster era.
During? When exactly did it end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 12:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,599,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
A question I always ask Americans when they mention Molson: "Molson what?"

Here in Canada, Molson brews Molson Canadian, Molson Export, Molson Stock, Molson Dry, Molson 67, and likely one or two more I've forgotten (anybody know about Molson Ice and Molson XXX?) Then, there are regional ones: Molson Brador and Molson Laurentide were popular in Quebec, for example. Then there are the ones that are no longer brewed: Molson Light, Molson Golden, Molson Canadian Light, Molson Export Light, Molson Diamond, and Molson Special, among others.

Molson Exel is Molson's non-alcohol beer.

Not to mention the beers that Molson produces that aren't branded Molson: the Rickard's family of beers (Red, White, etc.), Coors Light, Old-Style Pilsner, and the Carling line of low-priced beers.

In Canada, Molson isn't a beer; it's a brewery producing a variety of beers. Which Molson are you talking about? (Maybe you could post or link to a photo of what you buy in your area--that might help us to identify it.)
When I worked on VIA rail way back in 1980, Americans often asked for Molson's. We had a few, including Brador. It was always an education for them explaining that asking for Molson's is like asking for an Anheuser-Busch.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Ok before you all start saying obscure beers & even Quebec ones like Une (I can get it here too for sure), I think it is, can you say what is the best import here in US from Canada? Is it Labatt (here it is only Blue not Blue Light that can be bought), Molson (no Molson light here either) or Moosehead?

Are any of those acceptable to Canadians?

They are the only top 3 I can think of from Canada easily gotten in the states. I used to drink O'Keefe, like 100 yrs ago as a kid, but it is no more I guess. Ok, thanks to my great white north friends.
The states, like Canada is huge. It's going to vary depending on the Market. For example, Alexander Keith's, a beer I like, is available in Seattle at some stores. I doubt it's available in Atlanta. The same with Kokanee. Two beers that are not micro-brews, but do a pretty good job.
EDIT: Just read that AK was available in AZ. Interesting.

The major breweries you've mentioned are pretty much made to appeal to the masses and therefore a lot of beer lovers may stay away from them, since there is so much more choice now.

However, going by name alone can be misleading. When I was younger and my beer palate undeveloped, and I couldn't find a Canadian beer in the US, I would by Foster's. Even though Foster's is an Australian beer, the product sold in the US was brewed in Canada.

Marketing. It's all an illusion.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:31 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,071,555 times
Kokanee. You can buy it in the states.

But why would you drink it when it you can get MooseDrool in those parts of the US.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:20 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,642,047 times
Kokanee, I've never had, isn't avail in AZ tho. But Moose is cheapest here vs Molson & Labatt. So Moose wins by default, I guess.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPOv34uyE4o

Old 03-24-2015, 10:19 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,071,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Kokanee, I've never had, isn't avail in AZ tho. But Moose is cheapest here vs Molson & Labatt. So Moose wins by default, I guess.
MooseDrool is a Montana beer. With all the great American beers being made these days it is hard for the Canadian breweries to compete.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:42 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,315,098 times
I wouldn't mind some Big Rock down my way, but there are so many good micro-brews available, plus my favourite cheap beers Lone Star and Coors' Banquet, that I just don't miss Pale Ale and the occasional Pilsner.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:51 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,962,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
A question I always ask Americans when they mention Molson: "Molson what?"

Here in Canada, Molson brews Molson Canadian, Molson Export, Molson Stock, Molson Dry, Molson 67, and likely one or two more I've forgotten (anybody know about Molson Ice and Molson XXX?) Then, there are regional ones: Molson Brador and Molson Laurentide were popular in Quebec, for example. Then there are the ones that are no longer brewed: Molson Light, Molson Golden, Molson Canadian Light, Molson Export Light, Molson Diamond, and Molson Special, among others.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:33 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,361,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I wouldn't mind some Big Rock down my way, but there are so many good micro-brews available, plus my favourite cheap beers Lone Star and Coors' Banquet, that I just don't miss Pale Ale and the occasional Pilsner.
LOL you know you Drank Pilsner if you can find or have someone ask you if you have found the Bunny Rabbit on the label

Pilsner is a very Western Canadian Beer I am pretty sure they do not get that even back in eastern central Canada so hard to believe it would be sold in the U.S. outside of border cities/towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada