U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2015, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,151,642 times
Reputation: 3738

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I wish I kept a penny as an antique and memory. I was so sick of pennies I got got all of them out of my house as I ecstatically happy I'll never see them again but now I regret I didn't think it through.... Then again I'll probably find one lying in basement somewhere.
Oh I've got oodles... if you're ever in T.dot lemme know lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post

I have a really nice penny in incredible shape from 1914. Looks like this:
That's sooo cool! The oldest I have is from the 30's - I think 1934... King George V was still the Monarch though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2015, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,172,550 times
Reputation: 13467
Nice! How big is it? Is it like a modern penny, or larger?

If I had to guess, I'd say mine is about the size of a quarter, but I could be way off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2015, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,151,642 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Nice! How big is it? Is it like a modern penny, or larger?

If I had to guess, I'd say mine is about the size of a quarter, but I could be way off.
That's insane!

Not sure about mine - from what I remember pretty much the same size as a modern penny but it felt a bit thicker and heavier.. I know I have it in my big Penny Vase lol - Its just a matter of finding it.. I'll let you know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2015, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,172,550 times
Reputation: 13467
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
That's insane!

Not sure about mine - from what I remember pretty much the same size as a modern penny but it felt a bit thicker and heavier.. I know I have it in my big Penny Vase lol - Its just a matter of finding it.. I'll let you know!
So, I just looked it up.

My 1914 penny is 25.4mm in diameter, and weighs 5.67 grams.

A 2003 quarter, is 23.88mm in diameter, and weighs 4.4 grams.


lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2015, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Toronto
1,659 posts, read 1,640,676 times
Reputation: 2844
Make a friend and ask for some. They're strewn around every Canadian household.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2015, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,151,642 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Make a friend and ask for some. They're strewn around every Canadian household.
lol that's very true - everyone prolly has a bunch of them underneath the car seat or somewhere down the crevices of the couch/love seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
So, I just looked it up.

My 1914 penny is 25.4mm in diameter, and weighs 5.67 grams.

A 2003 quarter, is 23.88mm in diameter, and weighs 4.4 grams.


lol
Holy crow - they don't make em like they used to! Well I guess they just don't make em at all lol..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2015, 05:06 PM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,207,345 times
Reputation: 1707
Whenever I came across an older penny (mostly 60s, a few 50s) it went into a specific coat pocket so over the years I gathered a small collection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
1,859 posts, read 3,424,987 times
Reputation: 1801
Default Update!

Hello again,

Just so you all should know, I just returned from another trip to Canada again and while there, after visiting three different banks in three different places, I finally got my hands on two more rolls of Canadian pennies at the third bank for face value. Yippeee!!!

But to answer my first question and concern in this thread, yes it is getting very hard to obtain pennies from banks in Canada these days. The cashier at Metro Supermarket put it quite rightly in that she like everyone else she knows has an entire jar of them but are hoarding them. I was very lucky to have visited that third bank at the right time because they had a few rolls remaining.

The next time I visit Canada, I think I'll try hunting down for a roll of 50 cent pieces (what we Americans call half dollars) which are reportedly still minted but are rare in circulation. Oh yes and pre-1996 $2 bills that have since been replaced by the toonie. Those are still legal currency but again are being hoarded and are very hard to find as well or so I am finding out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,178 posts, read 1,755,788 times
Reputation: 2652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
The next time I visit Canada, I think I'll try hunting down for a roll of 50 cent pieces (what we Americans call half dollars) which are reportedly still minted but are rare in circulation. Oh yes and pre-1996 $2 bills that have since been replaced by the toonie. Those are still legal currency but again are being hoarded and are very hard to find as well or so I am finding out.
They're not that hard to find--you could find $2 bills, of any series, at a stamp-and-coin shop. Same for any bill of any series. You'll probably pay above face value, because such places sell to collectors, but you'll have what you want.

Rolls of fifty-cent pieces are fairly easy to get also, but you do have to do a little advance legwork. Call a bank ahead of time, and order a roll. They can get them for you, though they generally do not keep them on hand. A friend did this, and a week or so after he called his local bank, had a roll.

Good to hear that you got your pennies though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2015, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
1,859 posts, read 3,424,987 times
Reputation: 1801
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
They're not that hard to find--you could find $2 bills, of any series, at a stamp-and-coin shop. Same for any bill of any series. You'll probably pay above face value, because such places sell to collectors, but you'll have what you want.

Rolls of fifty-cent pieces are fairly easy to get also, but you do have to do a little advance legwork. Call a bank ahead of time, and order a roll. They can get them for you, though they generally do not keep them on hand. A friend did this, and a week or so after he called his local bank, had a roll.

Good to hear that you got your pennies though!
Thanks for the advice Chevy! I'll do that the next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top