Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 11:13 PM

105 posts, read 98,074 times

Advertisements

I really like how polite my current country of residence is and that Americans and Canadians get along so well. It is noble for American people to politely deny their unwavering hegemony over Canada but let's be truthful here. The facts speak for themselves. From the same wikipedia article the definition of a satellite state is this. "The political term satellite state designates a country that is formally independent in the world, but under heavy political, economic and military influence or control from another country." I think traits like the Canadian inferiority syndrome is one the manifestations of a satellite state. The residents are too weak to form any meaningful form of resistance against the mother country so their only resort is to form a passive aggressive response. Hell, even my home country of Sweden might be an American satellite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
In the defense of the UK - i'd almost consider it to be under the sphere of influence of the U.S in 2015 - independent imperialistic adventures of the UK these days, not so much - pretty much history wouldn't you say? People and nations evolve and change - who would've thought it.
You would "almost" consider the UK to be in the US sphere of influence in 2015? The UK has been the lynchpin of American influence in Europe for over 60 years. The UK is America's #1 client state in Europe. Only Germany gives it a run for it's money. Somewhere like France is in the sphere of influence but decidedly not a satellite state. Like they refuse to even allow US military bases on their soil and retain absolute independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I also think the Canadian electorate has more influence over the leadership of our nation than the United States does. We don't have some sort of dictator appointed by the President of the United States. Our leadership is elected democratically by the people of Canada.. Now is that democratically elected leaders' decisions influenced by the U.S government - yes I do think that is the case but only to a certain degree.. Chretien - like him or lump him proved that back in 03 when he told GWB to take a hike when it came to invading Iraq.
The Canadian electorate does not have more influence on the fate of Canada than the actions of the US. If the US falls, so does Canada. This is the underlying reason for Canadian obsession (and the same one we have back in Europe, though not to the same extent) with American politics. Beneath it all, Canadians know that the future of their country is decided by the big wigs in Washington DC. Canada is as some say "along for the ride".

Quote:
Chretien - like him or lump him proved that back in 03 when he told GWB to take a hike when it came to invading Iraq.
Canada supported the US invasion of Iraq. Canada didn't send combat troops but completely supported the invasion and offered military equipment and logistical supports. France actually didn't support it all. I keep using France because it is the best example of a big US ally that can not be described as a client state.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:24 PM

428 posts, read 451,083 times
Here is a good world map of American client states:

Old 08-14-2015, 01:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Its not just this thread its the never ending posts in the Canada forums along the same lines of connecting Canada constantly to the U.S.. It becomes rather tiresome and usually its the same thing over and over again - not enough culture, not enough economic independence (in a global economy we're all interconnected economically and rely on one another), Canadians have an inferiority complex, Canada isn't a real country whatever the heck that means ,Canada relies on the U.S for its military - as if dozens of nations are waiting in line to invade Canada...etc.. Its trying to personify 35 million people and the nation into something simpler than meets the eye to satisfy the need to label.
To add/
There certainly appears to be a certain type of poster that delights in denigrating Canada whether its the oot and aboot crap or saying we arent a real country, we worship the Queen or we are nothing more than America lite and on it goes blah blah blah, meaningless drivel IMO

Client State being just another play on semantics in an effort to marginalize Canada,
Is Canada a client state?

Quote:
A client state is a state that is economically, politically, or militarily
smaller to another more powerful state in international affairs.
Client state IMO is no more than a way of pointing out the obvious.
Does our country of 35 million border the worlds largest super power home to 330 million Americans? why yes it does,
do we derive benefits from this large super power economically,militarily culturally? we most certainly do.
Is America our neighbor and close ally? certainly is.
Are we a client state? of course we are and darn proud of it.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:30 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
To add/
There certainly appears to be a certain type of poster that delights in denigrating Canada whether its the oot and aboot crap or saying we arent a real country, we worship the Queen or we are nothing more than America lite and on it goes blah blah blah, meaningless drivel IMO

Client State being just another play on semantics in an effort to marginalize Canada,
Is Canada a client state?

Client state IMO is no more than a way of pointing out the obvious.
Does our country of 35 million border the worlds largest super power home to 330 million Americans? why yes it does,
do we derive benefits from this large super power economically,militarily culturally? we most certainly do.
Is America our neighbor and close ally? certainly is.
Are we a client state? of course we are and darn proud of it.
I, on more than one occasion, had a client state they were picking up the tab for my dinner. I said O.K. every single time.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:11 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
We can all argue about the definition of client states, and the difference between client states and satellite states or the euphemism of just "sphere of influence", and I agree that it depends on how you look at this issue, but one thing is clear: if Canada is not a client state, then the US doesn't have a client state. We can pretty much all agree on that.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:15 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Not really, its still really similar culturally for a foreign country. almost everyone i know who has been to Canada will comment on how similar it is to home. but yes i know there are some differences.

idk what regions that definitely feel like a foreign country compared to the U.S, pretty much every city seems to have a setup similar to American cities.

I don't mean to say this in a rude way btw... i view Canada as having an international culture not 100 percent American and i think that is a cool thing.
Ever been to Quebec or Newfoundland? Newfoundland is admittedly small but Quebec is more or less one quarter of Canada.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:40 AM

81 posts, read 101,253 times
Yes.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:26 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Karlsson View Post
Like they refuse to even allow US military bases on their soil and retain absolute independence.
Just as a point of order, there are no US military bases in Canada either.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Just as a point of order, there are no US military bases in Canada either.
Good post, the Canadian military installations just have Americans walking around sharing information with their best friends the Canadians which is another indicator of Canada's role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
We can all argue about the definition of client states, and the difference between client states and satellite states or the euphemism of just "sphere of influence", and I agree that it depends on how you look at this issue, but one thing is clear: if Canada is not a client state, then the US doesn't have a client state. We can pretty much all agree on that.
Positively correct. If Canada isn't a 'client state' then what is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada