Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 09:51 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

There are still these folks out there in numbers equating to Canada's ENTIRE population.

Key Facts about the Uninsured Population | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

33 Million Americans Still Don’t Have Health Insurance | FiveThirtyEight

Now; if concerned at all about those folks, then shouldn't considering this fact be of concern enough so as to cause anyone to simply stop the silliness of comparing themselves to a country that covers ALL OF IT'S CITIZENS.

Health Insurance and Mortality in US Adults

excerpted: "The Institute of Medicine (IOM) estimated that 18,314 Americans aged between 25 and 64 years die annually because of lack of health insurance."'

I selected this one study because the later Harvard study showing as many as 45,000 deaths per year for lack of insurance was debated on it's accuracy, but nevertheless......... GADS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Definitely a tough example of someone who falls through the cracks. When you're 53 with end stage renal disease,too 'rich' for MediCal and on disability/Medicare the options are limited.

Note that if he wasn't on Medicare he could sign up for an individual plan. Sounds like some tweaking to Obamacare is needed, which is to be expected.

Of course, Canada doesn't have enrollment access issues. They are more related to non-acute issues like mental health and senior treatment.

HealthCareCAN | Report on Canadian
For sure we have challenges facing us in that regard, as does the U.S.

Parity for mental health care is still lagging, study says | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Challenges and Opportunities in Measuring the Quality of Mental Health Care

Two Years After Sandy Hook: Mental Health Funding Still Lags - US News

Why Does Health in the United States Lag Behind Other Countries

Trends and statistics relating to U.S. seniors, elderly: Census Bureau 2014 report - Journalist's Resource Journalist's Resource

Study: States Lagging in Implementing LTC Employee Background Checks

Old 02-14-2016, 01:35 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
I was responding to an earlier post, where someone said they had to wait 11 months for an MRI. It was deemed not urgent, so he used that as an example of how the system worked.
MRI's are a money maker in the US. Some clinics set up along the Canadian Border and advertise to Canadians to come, for a large fee, to have an MRI.

Trouble is, it's mostly a scare tactic to non-medically trained people thinking MRI's are the answer to any hearlth issue. They are over used.

There was a recent article written in Canada about this...I can't find it of course

However here's a similar article written in the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/29/he...warn.html?_r=0

EDIT: Just saw BuSAn's post, regarding the same issue. LOL

Old 02-14-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Hold on to that "rich folks travelling to America for healthcare" silliness. More of them are LEAVING the U.S. for healthcare.

As More Americans Have Surgeries Overseas, US Companies Consider 'Medical Tourism' a Health Care Option - ABC News

The study you are undoubtedly quoting was performed by the Fraser Institute a Conservative funded think tank ....get the picture? That Study also ONLY showed 52,000 Canadians going ABROAD not necessarily to the U.S.

All authoritative studies have shown fewer than one half of one percent of Canadians receive healthcare in the U.S. and they do not filter out those who got sick or were injured while snowbirding or travelling there for extended periods.

That's utter nonsense with the chemo having to wait four months in cases where that could risk outcomes.....NONSENSE. Our cancer outcomes are parallel to the U.S. in most scores and perhaps better in one or two. Where do you find this nonsense and further, why would you expect to float that without question? If you could show a link to a report showing a 4 month wait for commencement of a treatment protocol with subsequent impact of outcome you might be onto something for discussion.

Once again however, you are attempting to show the rationale for complete DENIAL of treatment being of comparison to Canada's lack of time based services in non-life threatening situations. They are NOT even in the same galaxy much less of any import between two countries.
It should also be noted that in that number, are people who needed medical care while on holiday, or Canadians living in the US as Snowbirds or anywhere.

Anyone claiming that 52,000 people out of 35 million, is a sign that our system is flawed should do stand up comedy.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I don't think there's an easy solution to the health care dilemma. You should study single payer systems before jumping on that bandwagon. I used to be pro-single-payer, too, until I studied Sweden's system. Not enough doctors, weeks of waiting just to be seen for a flu or other shorter-term illness (a lot of Swedes keep a savings account for when they need to go to the doc, so they'll have cash to pay the doctors who operate independently of the insurance system. That way they can get seen right away), hospitals and clinics closing when there's an economic downturn and the government needs to cut costs. This means that rural residents have to drive for a couple of hours to the next hospital, and of course, due to the fact that the neighboring county just lost their hospital, the one hospital left in the general region is swamped, so the long waiting lists become even longer, even the emergency rooms.

I think insurance companies should become non-profit, clinics should be non-profit, to bring costs down. The number of for-profit specialty clinics continues to skyrocket in the US, in spite of years of public discussion and insurance company efforts to cut costs. More and more docs have figured out that insurance is a cash cow, and they start their own group clinics to milk it for all it's worth.

But we're digressing. Back to the Canuck Channel.....
When you say you studied Sweden's healthcare system, what exactly do you mean?

Also, I would assume that if one is to " study " single payer systems, they would " study " all of them, before drawing some conclusion.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:52 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It should also be noted that in that number, are people who needed medical care while on holiday, or Canadians living in the US as Snowbirds or anywhere.

Anyone claiming that 52,000 people out of 35 million, is a sign that our system is flawed should do stand up comedy.
In addition, there are cancer and other patients whose only hope left is to join a clinical trial: https://clinicaltrials.gov

With 9X the population it's not unreasonable to assume that in the U.S. there are many more drugs being trialed than in Canada.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
In addition, there are cancer and other patients whose only hope left is to join a clinical trial: https://clinicaltrials.gov

With 9X the population it's not unreasonable to assume that in the U.S. there are many more drugs being trialed than in Canada.
...as well as certain procedures.

I think the thing that gets me, is that people tend to not know or forget that Canada too has expertise and people have come here for specific care as well.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:54 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
MRI's are a money maker in the US. Some clinics set up along the Canadian Border and advertise to Canadians to come, for a large fee, to have an MRI.

Trouble is, it's mostly a scare tactic to non-medically trained people thinking MRI's are the answer to any hearlth issue. They are over used.

There was a recent article written in Canada about this...I can't find it of course

However here's a similar article written in the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/29/he...warn.html?_r=0

EDIT: Just saw BuSAn's post, regarding the same issue. LOL
I agree they're over-used. And now, there are concerns about that overuse, regarding radiation accumulating in the patient over time.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:13 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
I don't think there's an easy solution to the health care dilemma. You should study single payer systems before jumping on that bandwagon. I used to be pro-single-payer, too, until I studied Sweden's system. Not enough doctors, weeks of waiting just to be seen for a flu or other shorter-term illness (a lot of Swedes keep a savings account for when they need to go to the doc, so they'll have cash to pay the doctors who operate independently of the insurance system. That way they can get seen right away), hospitals and clinics closing when there's an economic downturn and the government needs to cut costs. This means that rural residents have to drive for a couple of hours to the next hospital, and of course, due to the fact that the neighboring county just lost their hospital, the one hospital left in the general region is swamped, so the long waiting lists become even longer, even the emergency rooms.

I think insurance companies should become non-profit, clinics should be non-profit, to bring costs down. The number of for-profit specialty clinics continues to skyrocket in the US, in spite of years of public discussion and insurance company efforts to cut costs. More and more docs have figured out that insurance is a cash cow, and they start their own group clinics to milk it for all it's worth.

But we're digressing. Back to the Canuck Channel.....

If you studied the Swedish HC System you would know that they no longer have a true Single Payer system. They reformed their system in 2010 and it is no longer SP. The OECD rankings view the system in very high regard, especially after reform.

Also most insurance companies do function as non profits.

Quote:
When you say you studied Sweden's healthcare system, what exactly do you mean?

Also, I would assume that if one is to " study " single payer systems, they would " study " all of them, before drawing some conclusion.
Well it wouldnt be too difficult, since there are very few true single payer systems in existence.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:04 AM

As stated in post # 102 of Feb 14th; articles appear in my local paper here in Florida on a weekly basis showing some failing in healthcare delivery in the U.S.......well here we are scarcely two days later and yet another horror story covering a broad spectrum of people across the nation:

Cancer patients snagged in health law's tangled paperwork | TheLedger.com

470,000 people having their coverage terminated due to unresolved documentation issues.......???????

This is just one little daily paper reporting this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada