Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 03:31 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
There is a particular drug I'm interested in which was approved by the FDA in November after clinical trials. Health Canada is reviewing the drug now for approval in Canada. If approved, it will mean that it can be legally prescribed in Canada. Whether the drug will be paid for by Pharmacare however is up to the individual provinces. In other words, Health Canada's role seems simply to assess safety.
Yes, I should of been clearer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 04:07 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Quite possibly she's mistaken. Or as another poster mentions, it's a drug with little benefit. Or the doctor isn't telling her the whole story. Or she's not aware of what her rights and privileges are.
And almost certainly it is NOT a drug considered as "standard" as you stated in your post regarding this issue. Riiight?

Old 02-10-2016, 04:39 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And almost certainly it is NOT a drug considered as "standard" as you stated in your post regarding this issue. Riiight?
It is quite possible. Again, I am representing what I was told; it was an expensive, but not experimental drug. If this is in error, so much the better for the Canadian consumer (as well as my relative whom I will discuss this with).

Old 02-10-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
It is quite possible. Again, I am representing what I was told; it was an expensive, but not experimental drug. If this is in error, so much the better for the Canadian consumer (as well as my relative whom I will discuss this with).
Understood.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:35 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
I'm on lyrica for nerve pain related to my herniated discs and it isn't covered by Manitoba Pharmacare. I don't think it is all that experimental a drug. It's also fairly expensive.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:17 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm on lyrica for nerve pain related to my herniated discs and it isn't covered by Manitoba Pharmacare. I don't think it is all that experimental a drug. It's also fairly expensive.
Are you using brand name? Generic pregabalin (Lyrica) has been available since 2013. I don't know if generic pregabalin is a benefit in Manitoba, I don't work there, and there's plenty of useful, proven meds that aren't benefits in plenty of provinces, but no formulary is going to cover brand when there's a generic available. If cost is a concern, ask your pharmacist about this, any Lyrica prescription can be filled with the generic.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:32 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Are you using brand name? Generic pregabalin (Lyrica) has been available since 2013. I don't know if generic pregabalin is a benefit in Manitoba, I don't work there, and there's plenty of useful, proven meds that aren't benefits in plenty of provinces, but no formulary is going to cover brand when there's a generic available. If cost is a concern, ask your pharmacist about this, any Lyrica prescription can be filled with the generic.
It says both names on the bottle, Lyrica and Pregabalin so I'm not sure what that means but I think it means that it isn't the generic version. My nephew is a pharmacist - I'll ask him about that.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:56 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
All of these discussions about medications being covered or not covered, and one of my own relative's experience with after care for open heart surgery (i.e. discharged after a few days with a pamphlet and directive to see a doctor in a couple of weeks) seem to indicate a need for better education and awareness to the consumer as well as follow through.

This is NOT unique to Canada. The US has the same problem, except fragmented by multiple insurers.

One could argue that the physician should be doing this, but why aren't they?

Old 02-11-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
All of these discussions about medications being covered or not covered, and one of my own relative's experience with after care for open heart surgery (i.e. discharged after a few days with a pamphlet and directive to see a doctor in a couple of weeks) seem to indicate a need for better education and awareness to the consumer as well as follow through.

This is NOT unique to Canada. The US has the same problem, except fragmented by multiple insurers.

One could argue that the physician should be doing this, but why aren't they?
I think you've hit on the reason: fragmentation of offices with no unified schedule of after surgery patient consultation stipulated by some mandating authority.

The widow down the street from us had open heart and upon her discharge from the hospital she was given schedule of an imminent appointment with her surgeon as well as a schedule of a visiting nurse practitioner who would be coming to her house to review her recovery, med's, diet and dressing replacement etc.. This was all set up by her GP's office in concert with the local hospital.

I'm aware from talking to others, hers was the exception rather than the rule.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I dont agree, its a huge American forum with a small Canadian subsection,its natural that we are going to get much in the way of American participation, i find the American views and opinion whether positive or negative towards Canada an interesting read and in context with our geographical proximity.

Welcome to the forum Brittt.
I agree wholeheartedly Jambo. One of my preferred entertainment avenues would be eliminated were we to be so thin-skinned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada