Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2016, 12:58 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,594,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That seems to be a common belief among many on these forums beyond Canadians. Many don't realize that the US varies greatly in culture from place to place at times.

Anyway, the Midwest and west coast are the most like Canadians and I can't imagine Canadians being more similar to British being that they're so similar to these parts of the US.
I'd say the same for Canada. People visit Toronto and think that's what all of Canada is like. We had one poster on here from the UK who went to Winnipeg and hated it, and painted the whole country by that one experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 01:50 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,427,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'd say the same for Canada. People visit Toronto and think that's what all of Canada is like. We had one poster on here from the UK who went to Winnipeg and hated it, and painted the whole country by that one experience.
This is true too. I can't tell you how many people think all Canadians say "aboot" and "eh" when those are regional and I personally don't here "aboot" in that word and there are millions of Americans in certain areas who also say "eh". Gotta love those stereotypes.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:36 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,304,977 times
Quote:
This is true too. I can't tell you how many people think all Canadians say "aboot" and "eh" when those are regional and I personally don't here "aboot" in that word and there are millions of Americans in certain areas who also say "eh". Gotta love those stereotypes.
ive relatives in BC , they have lived there for thirty five years , they dont say " aboot "

Old 08-21-2016, 09:50 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,106,561 times
Canadians don't really say "aboot" anyway. It's more like "aboat". And it's said more or less that way all across the country where people speak English.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Canadians don't really say "aboot" anyway. It's more like "aboat". And it's said more or less that way all across the country where people speak English.
Yes, it sounds more like "aboat" and even then not quite. Like Irish Bob said, the Canadians I've met from BC don't say it like that at all and really don't sound any different from the US west coast. Or maybe our pronunciation is much closer to it so we don't notice as much. What it noticeable with certain Canadians is the long O sounds in words like "sorry" and "progress".

Old 08-21-2016, 12:36 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,594,831 times
Quote:
Yes, it sounds more like "aboat" and even then not quite. Like Irish Bob said, the Canadians I've met from BC don't say it like that at all and really don't sound any different from the US west coast. Or maybe our pronunciation is much closer to it so we don't notice as much. What it noticeable with certain Canadians is the long O sounds in words like "sorry" and "progress".
The elongated vowels is what gives Americans away. Canadians don't usually have elongated vowels.

Here's a fun clip ( although I believe some pronunciations are more regional than international ). The do say sorry in the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiIEPqMuzVc

Old 08-21-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The elongated vowels is what gives Americans away. Canadians don't usually have elongated vowels.

Here's a fun clip ( although I believe some pronunciations are more regional than international ). The do say sorry in the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiIEPqMuzVc
Only a few of those are consistent, mainly certain nouns. We always say couch, passifier, garbage disposal and parking garage. I already mentioned that long O sound is distinctly Canadian. Most of the others however are not at all unique to Canada. That short A sound in bag and tag is common in parts of the Midwest. Bathroom is perhaps most common in the US but we use washroom very frequently as well along with restroom and more rarely, lavatory. We say "call you" but also say "phone you". That Canadian pronunciation of "pasta" is common on the east coast and they also say "salsa" like that which is grating to a Californians ears. And we never ever say "zed" for Z. Most of the rest of those however are not uniquely Canadian at all.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:46 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,106,561 times
Shouldn't passifier be spelled pacifier?

In much of Canada a semi-trailer or a semi is referred to as a transport truck. Or an 18-wheeler.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:51 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,909,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
In terms of:
a) mannerisms
b) slang (what they call certain things)
c) how they spell things (eg. Colour vs Color)
d) mentality
e) how they interact and converse with people
f) overall disposition of the population

particularly English Speaking Canadians and how they compare to Australians when it comes to what they inherited to most of British culture since both Aussies and English speaking Canucks are both the products of British settlement and both being members of the commonwealth and both being Constitutional monarchies.

I ask this is because I am an Aussie myself and was wondering if I would be wrong to think Canadians are British because of the personality of the people, but please correct me if I am wrong?

Any experience in this issue.

Any comments or opinions?
A. Mannerisms: Australia
B. Slang: not sure, probably Australia
C. Spelling: Australia, Canada is more of a hybrid of American and International English
D. Mentality: Australia
E. Interaction: Australia
F. Overall: Australia

Well, I could have probably saved some time, but oh well. I have some distant Canadian family in Alberta and they are fairly Americanized, but then again their family line emigrated to Canada from the US in the late 1800's. But I think that example of migration between the countries is why Australia is more British today. One of my best friends is from Australia and they seem very British.

There are pockets of British culture is Canada, but as a whole the country is not very British anymore. Canada has Americanized a lot in the last few decades. While Australia has really kept a lot of British culture on a larger scale.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:35 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,350,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
A. Mannerisms: Australia
B. Slang: not sure, probably Australia
C. Spelling: Australia, Canada is more of a hybrid of American and International English
D. Mentality: Australia
E. Interaction: Australia
F. Overall: Australia

Well, I could have probably saved some time, but oh well. I have some distant Canadian family in Alberta and they are fairly Americanized, but then again their family line emigrated to Canada from the US in the late 1800's. But I think that example of migration between the countries is why Australia is more British today. One of my best friends is from Australia and they seem very British.

There are pockets of British culture is Canada, but as a whole the country is not very British anymore. Canada has Americanized a lot in the last few decades. While Australia has really kept a lot of British culture on a larger scale.
Have you ever been to Australia, and spent time with Aussies from a variety of backgrounds? Most Brits seem to go through a period of culture shock when they get here. I've heard variations of " but this is nothing like the UK" quite a lot, even from tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada