Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 10:21 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,800 times

Advertisements

Northern Ontario attracted many Ukrainian, Finnish and Italian immigrants in the early 20th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 04:11 PM

Just had a look at US data for comparison. The US was more impacted by 19th century immigration, while Canada became a more favored destination in the early 20th century. More or less the same number of British-born in 1890 and 1930, though immigration from Scotland increased and Wales declined.

Born Great Britain: 1,251,402
Born England: 909,092
Born Scotland: 242,331
Born Wales: 100,079

Born Great Britain: 1,224,089
Born England: 809,563
Born Scotland: 354,323
Born Wales: 60,203

So the British-born population peaked in the US around 1890, in Canada around 1930 and Australia not until 1990.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:23 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You should take a look through the European forums, its not the Canadians that 'hate' the British, its not the Australians or Asians, it is in fact EVERYBODY! lol, the forum is full of Europeans 'distancing' themselves from the 'British' as well as Canadians, Irish, Americans and Australians! I don't think us 'Brits' really give much of a toss though! Thank god we are not 'like' anybody else on this planet, that's what I say :-)
nahh. Australians don't 'hate' the British. We might call em whinging poms , we might want to trounce you in the Ashes.. but no way, do we 'hate' the British.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:29 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,346,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post

So the British-born population peaked in the US around 1890, in Canada around 1930 and Australia not until 1990.
The population of European migrants in Australia generally would have peaked about 1990, largely due to the post WW2 migration boom. The "disappearance" of visible European migrant communities generally over the last couple of decades has been an observable reality in most cities and large towns.

The average age of most migrants from European countries today would be 60+.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:20 PM

Canada received postwar British immigrants too but not as large as the early 20th century wave, so it never hit the 1931 peak again. In Australia the British-born population roughly doubled after WWII.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:26 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,346,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
There's a bunch of Ukrainians here in Sudbury. There's actually something like a little neighbourhood where they seem to congregate called the Donovan. There's an orthodox church, a Ukrainian credit union with a cyrillic sign, and a couple of small warehouses that serve as Eastern European food markets on weekends. I used to work in a shoe department and I would hear what I always assumed to be Ukrainian being spoken several times throughout the week.

Also, and this is a bit unrelated, but in the same neighbourhood there's actually a bunch of community centres/bars for apparently ex-Yugoslav communities. There's a Croatian Centre, and there used to be a Serbian Centre. I actually went to the Croatian one last night and they have $2.55 pints. TWO DOLLARS AND FIFTY-FIVE CENTS PINTS.

We've got a lot of really beautiful eastern Orthodox churches here in Aus too. The most beautiful I've seen is one of the Serbian Orthodox churches in Canberra. Built in the style of an old village church and decorated with hand painted murals on all the ceilings and walls, it's almost an art and cultural centre. These pictures don't really do it justice:

Free Serbian Orthodox Church St George - VisitCanberra

Free Serbian Orthodox Church St George - Canberra - Reviews and Photos

For anyone travelling through Canberra who's interested in religious culture and art its well worth a visit.

Community clubs are slowly, but surely fading from the suburban landscape here. In my university days, evenings or afternoons at the local Finnish, Lithuanian or Slovenian club were pretty common, but a lot have been sold off to real estate developers to build apartment blocks. Today only the larger clubs remain; Italian, German, Croatian, Greek, Polish and some others.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:36 AM

396 posts, read 598,954 times
Canadians like the British but at the same time are somewhat indifferent to them as well.

I guess you could say the we see the British as good friends but the Australians see them as family and vice-versa. Canadians both socially and politically tend to see and relate better with Northern Europeans than British.

The reason for this is two-fold......
First, unlike Australia we were not founded by the English. We were part of New France and not only is that reflected in our 2nd language but also by the fact that the largest Christian denomination in Canada is Catholic.
Second, the US relationship with Britain. Americans tend to be enamoured with all things British and, unlike Canada, tend to have a distain for Europe and Canadians have a stellar record of doing the opposite of what Americans are. If you look at Canada's economic, social, and foreign policy decisions they tend to mirror Europe's while Britain mirrors the USA.

It may surprise many to find out that polls consistently show that Americans view the British as their best friends and not Canadians.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:19 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You should take a look through the European forums, its not the Canadians that 'hate' the British, its not the Australians or Asians, it is in fact EVERYBODY! lol, the forum is full of Europeans 'distancing' themselves from the 'British' as well as Canadians, Irish, Americans and Australians! I don't think us 'Brits' really give much of a toss though! Thank god we are not 'like' anybody else on this planet, that's what I say :-)
Nonsense.

First off I want to say I would not give much credibility to any members of this forum who might say they hate the British. There's no reason for anyone to hate the Brits. Those people who say such claptrap are a minority and are not national representatives speaking on behalf of their countries. They only speak for their own personal selves and many of them are impressionable young people who say what they do in order to fit in with what they think is the popular sentiment du jour expected from them on this forum.

With this being an American forum there are not very many non-Americans who are members of City Data forum to start with, only a minority of CD members are non-Americans, and the majority of Americans don't really know, or care, much about Brits but I know that Americans in general have a friendly and casual attitude towards the British and think of Brits as friends and allies. So if a very small minority of discontented members are saying negative stuff about the British then consider they are just trolling and yanking some chains.

I can't speak for all the other countries you mentioned but I think it's imaginary and playing the "poor sorry me" victim card to say that EVERYBODY hates the British and I believe that making a statement like that can only cause a lot of people to feel resentful and defensive towards you for saying it. I know your comment has had that effect on me. I can tell you for sure it is utter nonsense to say that Canadians are distancing themselves or "hate" the British. There are a great many dual-citizen British/Canadian immigrants and many more British descendents in Canada. Canada and Canadian citizens have an affectionate and sentimental soft spot for the British and are friendly towards all of the United Kingdom.

Last edited by Zoisite; 02-19-2016 at 01:29 AM..

Old 02-19-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
In essence no: English, Irish and Scots add to 39.8% of the population at last 2011 census. "Australian" is probably "too mixed" to render a single option valid, or those who have simply lost track of their ancestry: if you're part Greek and part Aboriginal, or part Dutch and part Chinese, or your great great grandfather was a camel train driver from central Asia who married an Irish woman, would you really see yourself as either?

• Australia - ethnic groups 2011 | Statistic

But those numbers would need to be standardised/averaged to an extent, as here you can choose more than one ethnicity. Its interesting to see how many report a second ethnicity from each primary group. For the 2001 census, the proportions that selected a second ethnicity were:

English - 41.8%
Scottish - 57.1%
German - 68.3%
Italian - 33.9%
Dutch - 42.7%
Irish - 75.8%
Adding up English + Scottish + Irish responses would lead to a good amount of double-counting. On the other hand, almost certainly the vast majority of "Australian only" responses would trace their ancestry to the British Isles.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:29 AM

Victoria, BC is perceived as the most "British" city in Canada. 5% of the population in the Victoria CMA was born in the UK, pretty much the same share as Australia as a whole (and less than half the share as Perth, where it's 11%). So the number of British accents one hears there wouldn't seem out of the ordinary for an Australian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada