Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 06:43 PM

542 posts, read 503,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yeah I guess.

But when I think Americans, I'm thinking mostly white, as that's mostly who I meet. They seem like Euros to me. Sure, they might be different politically, but culturally and socially similar. Canadians are like Euros who like hockey and maple syrup.

Not too many good ole boy Texans around here, but the local version aren't that different.

Don't underestimate the impact of Maori on NZ culture. They might have been trampled a bit, but their contribution to NZ culture started early
Ok, I see, you mean Americans and Canadians visiting New Zealand. Because less than 2/3 of Americans are even white and it's only 7/ or 8/10 in Canada. I don't think you would go to an American city and feel like you are in Europe. In the US especially the African-Americans aren't immigrants and are a large percentage of society with lots of influence, which is why I bring them up. They are in some ways like francophones in Canada that they had a huge influence on the rest of population and are a minority that sets the country apart.

BTW, I agree that Canada in general is more European than the US, but I think we are less so than New Zealande or Australia. Ironically francophones (who have been here for hundreds of years) are even more eurocentric and European in many ways than anglo Canadians (who are more recent) who have mostly adopted American ways over the British.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 07:11 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Ok, I see, you mean Americans and Canadians visiting New Zealand. Because less than 2/3 of Americans are even white and it's only 7/ or 8/10 in Canada. I don't think you would go to an American city and feel like you are in Europe. In the US especially the African-Americans aren't immigrants and are a large percentage of society with lots of influence, which is why I bring them up. They are in some ways like francophones in Canada that they had a huge influence on the rest of population and are a minority that sets the country apart.

BTW, I agree that Canada in general is more European than the US, but I think we are less so than New Zealande or Australia. Ironically francophones (who have been here for hundreds of years) are even more eurocentric and European in many ways than anglo Canadians (who are more recent) who have mostly adopted American ways over the British.
Have to disagree about Canadian and Americans not seeming European. I haven't been to Europe, but have seen parts of the Canada and US. There was a quality that seemed much different to me to, and I came to associate with much stronger European influences than I was used to.

Blacks seemed much like Maori - a very large minority, but mainstream as well.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
That's a great comparison, I think. I think Melbourne has a similar climate to southwestern B.C. as well.
In ya dreams.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:19 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Europe has black people that historically made up 10-20% of the population since the beginning of colonization, and only speak English, are Christians, and identify as Europeans?

Europe has nothing like that, neither does Australia or New Zealand. But many countries in the western hemisphere do.

http://www.nps.gov/nri/resources/cus...nknownUSCT.jpg

This man would never be considered Australian or European in the 1860's or be allowed to bear arms to fight for Australia, and some there today wouldn't consider him Australian based solely on his appearance. That's a huge difference between the US/Latino America and Europe/Australia. This is something new that you guys are only accepting after banning people like that from ever even living Down Under until what...1975? Australia wouldn't even give black people citizenship until the 1970's, in the US that happened sometime in the middle of the 1800's. I think those are some really big differences, so that the western hemisphere countries have been truly multicultural. Australia has been lily "white" European offshoot and remains so into the near future.
All Australians regardless of colour have been eligible for Australian citizenship since it was introduced in the 1940's. Aborigiobal Australian's have also been eligable to fight in the armed forces since it's inception. The white Australia policy ended in 1966.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:28 PM

178 posts, read 185,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
A significant feature of "Australians living abroad" is expats returning tot their country of birth after gaining Australian citizenship. Its not just the Brits, you'll find the same patterns with groups like Greeks, Italians, Lebanese.
isn't that contradictory?

Old 02-15-2016, 07:38 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianf91 View Post
isn't that contradictory?
It is but it happens in other countries too. In Canada they are derisively referred to as ''Canadians of Convenience".

Old 02-15-2016, 07:46 PM

542 posts, read 503,269 times
Quote:
In ya dreams.
They both have an oceanic climate!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_climate

Old 02-15-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Have to disagree about Canadian and Americans not seeming European. I haven't been to Europe, but have seen parts of the Canada and US. There was a quality that seemed much different to me to, and I came to associate with much stronger European influences than I was used to.

The US, Canada and Australia are all obviously Europe-derived societies, but I have not found that there is much of a difference in the level of ''Europeanity'' they have generally. Obviously, there are different levels within the countries too: Boston feels more European than Houston. Montreal more than Calgary. Melbourne more than Brisbane.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
They both have an oceanic climate!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_climate
Yep, that's about the extent of the similarity. New York city and Orlando also have the same climate, under the classification system you posted..

Old 02-15-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Ironically francophones (who have been here for hundreds of years) are even more eurocentric and European in many ways than anglo Canadians (who are more recent) who have mostly adopted American ways over the British.
I noticed this too - even before I moved to Quebec. Which is kind of strange given the fact you mentioned. Canadian francophones are much further removed from their European roots than anglophones. Your average francophone Canadian has absolutely no family ties in France that go back to the period of immigration across the ocean. Whereas many (maybe most?) anglophone Canadians still have relatives they have contact with in the UK or Ireland.

Anyway, we're not really allowed to say this, as ''Europeanity'' is a highly-valued and sought-after quality in Canada (especially among city-loving forumers)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada