Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 10:22 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Most Anglo-descended Canadians aren't even descended from the British actually. The biggest chunk of British Isles immigrants, I believe, were the Scots and Irish.
Yes, and at the time of Confederation immigration directly from England was fairly modest; most were from the "Celtic fringe." Immigration from England however picked up in the 1880s and peaked in the early 20th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 10:44 PM

542 posts, read 503,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Yes, and at the time of Confederation immigration directly from England was fairly modest; most were from the "Celtic fringe." Immigration from England however picked up in the 1880s and peaked in the early 20th century.
I always had the impression that the white Americans are a lot more English/German/Scandinavian than whites in Canada who seem more Celtic Scottish/Irish. I think of the typical white anglo Canadian having a last name like MacKenzie or MacDonald as opposed to a Smith or a Johnson. Australians seem more purely British as a mix of English/Scottish/Irish et al. Do you know if there is any foundation to this Kensington?

Old 02-16-2016, 12:00 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,346,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
No, that is inaccurate. The British settlers only started showing up in Canada around the same time they did in Australia (early 1800's). Eastern Canada settled by the French, and between the 1760 conquest of Canada and 1815 when the great migration from Britain began, there were only a handful of British stock people in Canada who were there to work as merchants or administrators in a population that was 90% or more French stock.

And you said I need to learn Australian history? Looks like you should n brush up on Canadian history.

It seems settlers from other British North American colonies did arrive in Nova Scotia in the mid 1700s, followed by direct Scottish migration starting in in the 1770s. That's well before any free migration to Australia commenced, and was prior to any European settlement of Australia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Nova_Scotia Similarly British empire loyalists to Ontario in the mid 1770s. http://www.soto.on.ca/history_of_ont...onization.html
But yes, the original Scottish colony in NS in the early 1600s did't last long it seems.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 02-16-2016 at 12:45 AM..

Old 02-16-2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Australians seem more purely British as a mix of English/Scottish/Irish et al. Do you know if there is any foundation to this Kensington?
In essence no: English, Irish and Scots add to 39.8% of the population at last 2011 census. "Australian" is probably "too mixed" to render a single option valid, or those who have simply lost track of their ancestry: if you're part Greek and part Aboriginal, or part Dutch and part Chinese, or your great great grandfather was a camel train driver from central Asia who married an Irish woman, would you really see yourself as either?

• Australia - ethnic groups 2011 | Statistic

But those numbers would need to be standardised/averaged to an extent, as here you can choose more than one ethnicity. Its interesting to see how many report a second ethnicity from each primary group. For the 2001 census, the proportions that selected a second ethnicity were:

English - 41.8%
Scottish - 57.1%
German - 68.3%
Italian - 33.9%
Dutch - 42.7%
Irish - 75.8%

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 02-16-2016 at 12:58 AM..

Old 02-16-2016, 01:44 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
It isn't a trick question, I am genuinely curious if you consider Shaquille O'Neal a European, or if you are just saying this because you don't like me calling the Aussies/Kiwis British?

No, but I certainly see most white Australians and New Zealanders as a kind of British people. That's a good point about Maoris and their influence in New Zealand, but in Australia aboriginals

But assuming you weren't responding to a question with another question out of defence, what about mainstream Australian culture is definitively not British that doesn't relate to climate? In Canada there is speaking French, for Americans there are too many African derived things like Hip-Hop or Jazz music that defines the larger mainstream culture. In Australia the aboriginals were not included in society (even at the bottom rung) and their influence on Australian culture is very small compared to Maoris in NZ or African Americans in the US. African Americans have had a much larger influence on the US than Marois in NZ or especially aboriginals in Australia, and this is true of francophones in Canada as well. I know that Maoris are more included nowadays and sometimes to show how "diverse" New Zealand is, but this was not the case until very recently, and these countries were and are very very "white" and British in culture.

I also want to say I'm not trying to insult Australia or NZ. I realize this can a touchy subject to call people down there British because for some reason the British seem to be for some reason hated there by many, regardless of how obvious it is to the rest of the world. I am really interested in hearing your viewpoints without being defensive. I don't see a lot about Australia especially that makes it more than a group of working class British people who are trying to make a country of their own?
You should take a look through the European forums, its not the Canadians that 'hate' the British, its not the Australians or Asians, it is in fact EVERYBODY! lol, the forum is full of Europeans 'distancing' themselves from the 'British' as well as Canadians, Irish, Americans and Australians! I don't think us 'Brits' really give much of a toss though! Thank god we are not 'like' anybody else on this planet, that's what I say :-)

Old 02-16-2016, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You should take a look through the European forums, its not the Canadians that 'hate' the British, its not the Australians or Asians, it is in fact EVERYBODY! lol, the forum is full of Europeans 'distancing' themselves from the 'British' as well as Canadians, Irish, Americans and Australians! I don't think us 'Brits' really give much of a toss though! Thank god we are not 'like' anybody else on this planet, that's what I say :-)
LOL. For Aussies, Kiwis, Canadians and Americans 'hate' is not it. Its like you as a person; you're related to your grandparents, but at the same time you are not your grandparents.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:14 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
LOL. For Aussies, Kiwis, Canadians and Americans 'hate' is not it. Its like you as a person; you're related to your grandparents, but at the same time you are not your grandparents.
I think we run our American friends a close second when it comes to being disliked! Or at least to 'negative' connotations :-). According to this site being British means you are ugly, evil, autocratic, lacking in 'passion', snobbish, pasty, ginger, unable to cook and living in a climatic hell hole that's worse than Siberia! This site is also full of people arguing (in English!!) as to who is the most 'like / unlike' us! Still most of this stuff is spouted by people that have never set foot within a hundred miles of our sceptered Isle. :-)

Old 02-16-2016, 02:38 AM

Quote:
I think we run our American friends a close second when it comes to being disliked! Or at least to 'negative' connotations :-). According to this site being British means you are ugly, evil, autocratic, lacking in 'passion', snobbish, pasty, ginger, unable to cook and living in a climatic hell hole that's worse than Siberia!
LOL Speaking of Siberia, you Brits must wish you were liked as much as the Poles or Germans like the Russians, or the Serbs like the Croats....

But on the grand parent analogy, grand parents often look at the grand kids and wonder where things kind of went wrong and why they're such brats, while the grand kids secretly suspect grandma or grand dad have gone senile. That's just life. ;-)

Old 02-16-2016, 05:08 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
I should say that most Anglo-Canadians of British origins don't really dislike the Brits and hate on them. They also don't seem to want to distance themselves personally from their British origins. In fact, they usually like to play them up. I suppose it's a way of distancing themselves from the Americans (which is the main concern here).

They are different from the Aussies in this way.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:51 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I should say that most Anglo-Canadians of British origins don't really dislike the Brits and hate on them. They also don't seem to want to distance themselves personally from their British origins. In fact, they usually like to play them up. I suppose it's a way of distancing themselves from the Americans (which is the main concern here).

They are different from the Aussies in this way.
If it's anything like NZ, they probably don't really think about the UK much.

For all of the young people that go to the UK for a working holiday, most of the young people I know don't. go They have little awareness of the UK, and any discussion on Britishness, patterns of immigration etc, will just draw a blank stare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada