Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 06:51 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
The 30 million English speakers should run the Quebecers out. Is Quebec giving Canada anything positive at all? Seems to me that they just take welfare while hating on English speaking Canadians.
Well, 20% of Canada's GDP is a good start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 07:00 AM

126,266 posts, read 19,034,903 times
Quote:
I have never understood this. The official language in Canada is English. Why do Canadians allow Quebecers people to speak French? Why do they allow them to have signs etc in French? Just force them to learn the language of their own country. I don't understand Quebecers are even allowed to vote when they can't understand what the politicians are saying.
Why not? We are a beautiful country and we do have officially 2 languages French and English. My kids took English and French from Kindergarten to grade 12 and they never regret taking it.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:32 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Yes, people are allowed to speak whatever language they want, but everyone is still required to learn English. Signs are in English, police and courts speak English etc. Quebec is more like a separate country within Canada. They have their own culture, language and customs. They are allowed to vote who gets to be President but they can't even speak the language of the country they live in. They can't read the newspapers. You don't see a problem with that?
There is never the situation where a citizen of Canada does not understand what a politician is saying as both languages are used in our houses of parliament.

You have a footprint suggesting the U.S. as your domicile and that would make your posts here somewhat oxymoronic in the extreme as there are whole swaths of the American southwest where Spanish is the ONLY language heard during a normal day.

I have encountered people living in that part of the U.S. for at least two generations that do not speak English fluently and will not speak it unless forced through conditions.

Packaging in your neighbourhood grocery stores not include two languages?

Do you have English given official status as your official language?

Your statements seem calculated to stimulate acrimony alone without regard to facts in opposition to your "opinions".

Old 12-14-2016, 07:44 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
I have never understood this. The official language in Canada is English. Why do Canadians allow Quebecers people to speak French? Why do they allow them to have signs etc in French? Just force them to learn the language of their own country. I don't understand Quebecers are even allowed to vote when they can't understand what the politicians are saying.
Knowledge is a good thing.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
French is spoken in Quebec and English is spoken every where else yet in the rest of CAnada all signs must be bilingual and all products must have a French translation.
Not really true, but hey... who's counting?

Old 12-14-2016, 08:00 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,285,161 times
Troll, troll, troll your boat, gently down the stream...

Old 12-14-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Canada was originally created in French and a French-speaking society in what is now Canada predates most anywhere that is English-speaking by a fairly long time.

Yeah, there was a war and the British won and the French lost, and the approach could have been: we're taking over and you Frenchies are gonna become like us and abandon your language if you're gonna stay here.

Well, that was kinda the approach for a while. But it didn't work out very well.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:04 AM

We've adopted (what we and most observers consider) smarter approaches to dealing with things.

Though there are still sometimes bumps on the road and close calls even.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:44 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
We could not ban them from speaking French but perhaps we could limit it to say one can only speak French on Tuesdays. Spanish and Dutch on Wednesday mornings and German and Russian Wed afternoons. Thursdays First Nations could speak their native languages, Friday might be good for Arabic languages and Hebrew plus Yiddish. The weekends and Monday are reserved for English only. Next step could be limiting which breeds of dogs could bark on specific days.

Nice to have a laugh of the day courtesy of the OP

Old 12-14-2016, 08:51 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Now any product must have a English and French label and all Safety Data Sheets must be in both languages if a product is sold into Canada. this is NOT going to be good for the Canadian economy as companies like one I own simply will not take the time and expense necessary to do something so stupid. No sales into Canada after the 1st of January and several companies depend on our products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada