Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:27 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

There is no way the number of evangelicals in Quebec is anywhere near 10%.

I don't know any personally and people rarely talk about religion in a "missionary way" here in Quebec. It's actually considered very poor form to do so. Aside from Jehovah's Witnesses who knock on my door maybe once a year (they have a "church" quite close to where I live) no one ever casually talks religion or encourages me to find Jesus or whatever. Again - poor form and would not be graciously received by a good chunk of the population.

That said, there is also an evangelical church very close to where I live:
https://www.egliselesentier.com/à-propos/notre-équipe/

The crowd seems predominantly francophone Québécois with a bit of diversity mixed in. Note that Farley and King are considered Québécois francophone names here.

They seem to have a decent congregation as there are lots of people there on Sunday. From what I gather this is one of two such churches in our city of just under 300,000 people.

Officially my city is 70% Roman Catholic though I'd estimate less than half of these are regularly involved in the church in any way. The next largest religious group is no religious affiliation, between 15-20%.

The other groups are fairly small, with the Muslims probably the biggest but they're barely 5%.

Immigrants tend to be more religious than the native-born, and many immigrants are Christian, especially Roman Catholic (Haitians, Portuguese, francophone Africans) or religions that are close to Catholicism like the Lebanese Maronite Church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 02:12 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Well, in my riding I don't think anyone not espousing Christian evangelical-style faith would get elected. Very unfortunately, American-style religion has made inroads here and there are a lot of people who do not seem to realise that they are talking about American issues, and not Canadian ones. And the people who run here run on an anti-immigrant, anti-abortion platform. They are always Conservative candidates and the newer candidates don't seem to know what Canada's abortion laws (or lack of them) actually are. I've learned to shut my mouth.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:49 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Keep the faith Netwit. Manitoba only has 1.3 million population at this time and hopefully the voter demographics will go through some changes and balance out as the population increases over the next decade or so.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:56 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Funny, I'm in Winnipeg as well, and I've met exactly none. Zero. I've seen a very few Jesus fish on cars, no one has ever rang our doorbell and tried to convert us, and I'm not acquainted with any. Your perception may be skewed by your street. Not that I doubt they exist, I've seen the Springs in the 'burbs, but they are not a prominent fixture in the city.

The only people that ring your door bell are Jehovas wintess and mormons, and I don't really know how to categorize them. Baptist and pentecostals etc etc don't really do that as much. Main stream churches don't usually do that. Some of the biggest churches in this city are evangelical churches, and it is not just the ones on my street, you can find them through out the city.

I am not trying to say Winnipeg a super envagelical place, but compared to what I have seen back east, I would say they are a lot more noticeable here. Not just here in Winnipeg but in other parts of Manitoba as well.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:06 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is no way the number of evangelicals in Quebec is anywhere near 10%.

I don't know any personally and people rarely talk about religion in a "missionary way" here in Quebec. It's actually considered very poor form to do so. Aside from Jehovah's Witnesses who knock on my door maybe once a year (they have a "church" quite close to where I live) no one ever casually talks religion or encourages me to find Jesus or whatever. Again - poor form and would not be graciously received by a good chunk of the population.

The crowd seems predominantly francophone Québécois with a bit of diversity mixed in. Note that Farley and King are considered Québécois francophone names here.

They seem to have a decent congregation as there are lots of people there on Sunday. From what I gather this is one of two such churches in our city of just under 300,000 people.

Officially my city is 70% Roman Catholic though I'd estimate less than half of these are regularly involved in the church in any way. The next largest religious group is no religious affiliation, between 15-20%.

The other groups are fairly small, with the Muslims probably the biggest but they're barely 5%.

Immigrants tend to be more religious than the native-born, and many immigrants are Christian, especially Roman Catholic (Haitians, Portuguese, francophone Africans) or religions that are close to Catholicism like the Lebanese Maronite Church.

" Evangelical churches have experienced an attendance surge among French-Canadians in Quebec, a demographic evangelicals long considered the largest unreached people group in North America."

""Now our fastest growing churches are in Quebec," said Taillon. "

Revival and awakening in Quebec

What the percentage is I have no idea. Also did this " surge " last? I have my doubts.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:09 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
" Evangelical churches have experienced an attendance surge among French-Canadians in Quebec, a demographic evangelicals long considered the largest unreached people group in North America."

What the percentage is I have no idea. Also did this " surge " last? I have my doubts.
Interesting. When I lived in Quebec, the majority of evangelicals I met where immigrants. Mainly immigrants from Latin America, the Caribbean and Africa.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:48 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

This is a PR piece, not a news article.

It's also easy to post impressive growth percentage when you are starting from near zero.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:04 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
George Beverly Shea, who frequently sang at Billy Graham Crusades, was Canadian-born. He lived to be 104.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=35FILs1qiVA

Any other Canadian gospel singers?

Old 09-18-2017, 10:12 PM

Any French Canadians known for singing religious music?

Old 09-18-2017, 10:22 PM

[quote=Acajack;49553723]

I'd love to hear a French Canadian preaching in the style I know from my exposure to Southern Evangelicals.

How many Catholic Churches have closed in Gatineau over the years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada