Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 02:01 AM

909 posts, read 1,153,846 times

Advertisements

This one was my favourite growing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV2Zc4xVkA4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 01:57 PM

384 posts, read 272,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
in my first year of university someone in my residence was on the show. He had to be careful not to use any Canadian references as the show was syndicated to the US. As if someone couldn’t tell based upon the accent eh.
I forgot USA Network carried Bumpers Stumpers early on in their weekday afternoon game show marathon. Living close enough to the border, I remember seeing Bumpers Stumpers weekday mornings on Global. It was paired with Geoff Edwards' Chain Reaction.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:02 PM

384 posts, read 272,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Quebec has a full range of game shows that are domestically produced. These include original Quebec concepts, concepts imported from the US, concepts imported from France and concepts imported from other countries.

It's rare for Anglo-Canada to produce Canadian versions of US concepts. Usually they simply sim-sub broadcast the American version with US contestants. On the few occasions where they did do Canadian versions, they were very short-lived. Who Want to be a Millionaire Canada and Deal or No Deal Canada only lasted less than a half dozen episodes each.

So the legendary Anglo-Canadian game shows that were referred to on here like Definition and Front Page Challenge (another was Headline Hunters) were original Canadian concepts.

Also, many Anglo-Canadian game shows pretend to be American even though they're Canadian. Bumper Stumpers was like this. The guests seemed to be trained to say zee and not zed and to avoid any references to Canada.

-Our first contestant is Bill. Tell us about yourself Bill.

- Well, I'm an investment banker in a major North American city..."

I remember in Definition contestants definitely said "zed" because I was in grade school then and remember asking my dad why the contestants were saying "zed" instead of "zee".

Old 02-05-2018, 06:07 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droc31 View Post
I remember in Definition contestants definitely said "zed" because I was in grade school then and remember asking my dad why the contestants were saying "zed" instead of "zee".
Yes a few of them like Definition, Headline Hunters and Front Page Challenge were unabashedly Canadian and never attempted to hide their origins.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:48 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Bumper stumpers had the best theme music of any game show I have ever seen... the fact that they mixed honking with elevator type music is ingenious

Last edited by deneb78; 02-05-2018 at 11:58 PM..

Old 02-07-2018, 11:55 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Bumper Stumpers, the worst game show ever devised.
Not the Canadian version of Supermarket Sweep? I suppose that wasn't a truly Canadian game show given its American origins, but my God, it was awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada