Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 02:08 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I didn't know that that's how food banks work. How do they deal with special needs? Example, if one family needs milk and another family doesn't drink milk?

Food Banks depend on donations from the public, they have no control over what kinds of donations they receive and can't cater to special dietary needs or demands. They usually don't have access to perishables except on certain special occasions such as at Christmas time. Food Banks are only there to help supplement the other groceries that poor people can buy for themselves. People must buy their own fresh milk and other perishable foods or special dietary needs at the grocery stores.

Most of the people who go to Food Banks are homeless, down and outs, or very low income singles, not usually families with children. Families with children that are so poor they can't afford to eat properly and buy milk would qualify to go on welfare instead, until the parents have been provided by provincial ministry with new career training and are able to work and support their families again. Families with children on welfare get more money for food and other needful expenses, but welfare is only a temporary thing. Families with children on social assistance do also qualify for Food Bank services.

Food Banks rarely provide perishable foods that require refridgeration, other than some kinds of vegetables (i.e. root vegetables, squashes,) that don't require immediate refridgeration and even that is rare ....... sometimes fresh or day-old breads if they are donated within 24 hours of the same day of the week of dispensing the food to people.

If you look at the notices above Food Bank donation bins in grocery stores they always specify donations of only non-perishable nutritious food items. That can be all manner of canned, jarred or bottled foods, packaged dry goods such as pastas, rice, flour, sugar, cereals, powdered milk, etc., packaged dehydrated fruits, dehydrated meats (i.e. jerky) and boxed juices and other liquids with preservatives and lengthy expiry dates. That kind of thing.

I will tell you this, that I know of many low-income singles who will use the Food Bank donations of food to save themselves spending their own money on food so that they can use their money to support their cigarette, drugs and booze habits. The Food Banks are also aware that this type of scam and abuse of their services goes on and therefore have to have some pretty strict conditions in place about what kinds of foods they give out and how often, and that people must show official proof of need of Food Bank services.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_Banks_Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 08:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Seems some Tim Hortons franchises are dealing with minimum wage increases by eliminating benefits that those minimum wage employees already have. Kind of a cold response from Tims to go after those minimum wage workers,workers who are eking out an existence as it is.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3944421/t...rio-wage-hike/

Old 01-06-2018, 11:38 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
So where do you draw the line then? You would prefer minimum wage to be very little like $4 an hour? No minimum wage? Why are you saying it is a bad move then? The minimum wage should be a living wage. This is good news. One guy who owns a local business has been paying their cooks and waiters $15 dollars an hours all the way back when the wage was $8 hour. Businesses should always be prepared for government intervention. It's also a myth that everything gets more expensive when the minimum wage increases. This may be true for places that pay their employees minimum wage like fast food restaurants, but it doesn't change the entire dynamic and it helps people who are living in poverty and rely on food stamps.
What happens to the guy who's been working for an employer for 5 years and is making $14.00/h? Will his employer up his pay to reflect his tenure? If he's good, probably, so that means his employer may hold off on new hires or even lay off a recent hire.

My company--not a large company--is headquartered in Ontario and laid of half its staff across the country in the late fall because of this increase and they didn't issue Christmas bonuses this year. Why should somebody in a Vancouver branch get sh1tcanned because some jackass politician in Ontario decided to implement this? They're doing everything they can to keep me and others employed and this is happening all over the province. I feel like I owe these people an apology...

Many industries, like manufacturing--auto parts in particular--actually rely heavily on temp workers in their factories, so now that industry and those plants are no longer competitive with their counterparts in the US and Mexico, what happens there?

Your points about prices not increasing is completely bogus...you obviously don't do your grocery shopping here in Ontario.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:45 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
What happens to the guy who's been working for an employer for 5 years and
Your points about prices not increasing is completely bogus...you obviously don't do your grocery shopping here in Ontario.
No they are not bogus. I specifically said it MAY affect businesses who pay minimum wage, which can include grocery stores, restaurants, clothing stores, etc. It doesn't all the time however. But other costs that take up most of a person's pay cheque like rent and mortgage do not go up because of a wage hike. I was simply stating that thinking everything goes up and gets more expensive for an argument that increasing minimum wage changes nothing for those living in poverty is absolutely false. It most definitely helps and I am a firm believer in the minimum wage being a living wage.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:16 AM

389 posts, read 276,627 times
[quote=zortation;50615487]What happens to the guy who's been working for an employer for 5 years and is making $14.00/h? Will his employer up his pay to reflect his tenure? If he's good, probably, so that means his employer may hold off on new hires or even lay off a recent hire.

I believe it's the law, they MUST increase your wage to reflect minimum wage increases. But, that doesn't always happen. I have been with the same company for 4 years. When I started I was making $4.00 above minimum wage. To date I have received 4 wage increases but guess what, I am now making $2.50 above min with about (5) small increases. My boss passes it off as a raise and tells me she is doing me a favor.
We went from a team of 11 in my department to 4 and I have had to spread myself thin doing more than my fair share of work.

I think it depends on the managers personality as to how increases will effect employees and customers. For the record, my district manager really STINKS. She is sexist and lies through her teeth. Technically I am making less there now than when I started and have more responsibility.

Is this happening to any one else because of the increase?

Old 01-07-2018, 10:12 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki66 View Post
In October the minimum wage increased to $13.60 / hr and is set to be $15.00/hr by October 2018. This seems great, (but is it). I am inclined to think it is a double edged sword. Paying employees more money means businesses have charge more to cover costs. Perhaps even downsize the amount of people they employ. I'm on the fence with this one. More pay also means the federal government gets more.

Opinions?
I earned 2.75 per hour in my first job. Over the years, the cost of living increased and the minimum wage increased afterward. I don't remember a time when the reverse occurred. I think the recent minimum wage increases across Canada reflect a need to ensure that those at the bottom of the pay scale can afford room, board, transportation, and other necessities of life. It should mean that the owners take a little less in annual income, but instead we are seeing that minimum wage increase result in reduced benefits to minimum wage earners and an increase in costs to consumer. The latter point is the bigger problem because it defeats the intent of increasing minimum wage and essentially maintains a status quo for low wage earners. That is, they are still unable to set aside any money for savings and continue to live month to month.

It seems that this minimum wage increase is resulting in an increase in the cost of living, but it shouldn't because the increase in the cost of living happened first and increased minimum wage is a response to that.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:37 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
I agree that minimum wage should be a living wage. Maybe barely living but living.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:58 AM

776 posts, read 956,344 times
The point that is not being addressed here is........

The employee should be improving their working skills, so that they are more likely to be able to move up and get a job that pays MORE than the Provincial minimum wage. Is there a "rule " that says that a person has to STAY at a minimum wage job ? Of course there isn't.

A person who works in a fast food place... could take a night school course to learn how to do furniture refinishing ( sanding, repairs, painting, staining, polishing ) and move up to a semi skilled position that pays more per hour, and is less likely to be laid off. OR learn how to drive a fork lift. OR learn how to do cable TV installations, OR how to do repair window screens.

My point is that the individual has to bear some of the responsibility for improving their own life, instead of simply being a drone. Having a minimum wage job is NOT supposed to be a life long career. It is supposed to be a first step up the wage ladder. Education in this country is free up to the end of high school, and night school courses are a cheap investment in yourself and your future income.

If a person is not satisfied with their pay.....get more education and be more employable, and therefore receive better wages. Seems sort of sensible to me.

XXX.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:28 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
The point that is not being addressed here is........

The employee should be improving their working skills, so that they are more likely to be able to move up and get a job that pays MORE than the Provincial minimum wage. Is there a "rule " that says that a person has to STAY at a minimum wage job ? Of course there isn't.

A person who works in a fast food place... could take a night school course to learn how to do furniture refinishing ( sanding, repairs, painting, staining, polishing ) and move up to a semi skilled position that pays more per hour, and is less likely to be laid off. OR learn how to drive a fork lift. OR learn how to do cable TV installations, OR how to do repair window screens.

My point is that the individual has to bear some of the responsibility for improving their own life, instead of simply being a drone. Having a minimum wage job is NOT supposed to be a life long career. It is supposed to be a first step up the wage ladder. Education in this country is free up to the end of high school, and night school courses are a cheap investment in yourself and your future income.

If a person is not satisfied with their pay.....get more education and be more employable, and therefore receive better wages. Seems sort of sensible to me.

XXX.
I think the majority of minimum wage earners are young, with many being students and new immigrants who are looking to add a line to their resumes that says they are hard-working, responsible, and have integrity. Many professionals who are new immigrants/refugees have to wait months to become qualified in their professions in Canada, but they don't want to do nothing while they wait.

I doubt that the average person with a normal IQ looks at flipping burgers as a life long career, and I'm not convinced that those in minimum wage jobs are dissatisfied with their pay. In fact, those who have minimum wage jobs are usually pretty happy with the income and opportunity to live on their own and start life as a independent adult.

I think that this is a government decision to increase minimum wage to reflect the increase in the cost of living rather than a bunch of whiners who are unhappy with the pay they receive in their first job.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:28 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I think the majority of minimum wage earners are young, with many being students and new immigrants who are looking to add a line to their resumes that says they are hard-working, responsible, and have integrity. Many professionals who are new immigrants/refugees have to wait months to become qualified in their professions in Canada, but they don't want to do nothing while they wait.

I doubt that the average person with a normal IQ looks at flipping burgers as a life long career, and I'm not convinced that those in minimum wage jobs are dissatisfied with their pay. In fact, those who have minimum wage jobs are usually pretty happy with the income and opportunity to live on their own and start life as a independent adult.

I think that this is a government decision to increase minimum wage to reflect the increase in the cost of living rather than a bunch of whiners who are unhappy with the pay they receive in their first job.
And ironically it will contribute to another increase in the cost living.
Like a dog chasing it’s tail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada