Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 04:10 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Ahh, I think we all have our individual tin foil hats, it's just that all of our hats are a little different from each other's but they're there. My own personal tin foil tells me to not go across the border again, at least for the time being, and I haven't visited there for the past 4 years or so.

I'm of the same attitude, I no longer need/desire to go to USA for long weekends visits or vacations , I just don't feel comfortable in a place with so much societal dysfunction.
As for our op I think his paranoia about authority will have him being denied entry into Canada as he balks about being interrogated for having no passport and a scanner and he sounds like some one who will try to smuggle his gun across the border. Doctor Z if you do make the effort to get to Canada let us know how it goes and what you think of our beautiful country. best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 07:05 PM

695 posts, read 715,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Those things are not mutually exclusive. Do you have a cell phone, license plates, or internet service? Welcome to the tracked world.

You should know that if you're prepared to surrender your birth certificate, the only addition needed to getting a passport is a photo and your driver's license and a fee. There's no DNA or fingerprint requirement for a passport.
My cell phone is older, not a smart phone and always turned OFF except for emergency. My license plates are "privatized" (yes you can do this in Minnesota) and register to a different address than where I actually live, and my internet service is from home, not mobile.

I do have a GPS, but it's not connected to any transmitter, so it can only receive data. I have no U-Connect in my older vehicles and I use the Ham Radio for all my communication needs.

You're lucky on the passport, but all the ones I've seen around here have finger prints in them and I've been told they take DNA swabs when you apply. Perhaps yours is older and grandfathered in? I've never had a passport in my life.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Let me guess. You are however for others having to give up personal privacy information to enter the US? Or do you have a double standard in this case?
Not at all. I always figured that people are crossing back and forth between the two countries on foot in remote locations. I figured if I never needed to escape the country someday I'd do this myself.

I just posted this because my kid wants to visit another country for a family vacation. I personally have no reason to go to Canada. I was all over it back in the 1960's as a kid. My only memories were of the mountains, moose, and very very cold night-time temps in the middle of July.

I like it HOT, like above 90°, and lots of severe storms (I'm a storm chaser). Canada holds none of these for me. Just inquiring for my kid.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Exactly. You really start to wonder what someone who "doesn't want to be tracked!" is up to. Seems perfectly reasonable to me that the authorities want to keep track of who is going into and out of their country, and for what reason.

"For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended."
About 50% of the things I enjoyed doing back in the 1970's and early 1980's are now illegal (but were not then) and some of them even come with very long prison sentences.

Enough said.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm of the same attitude, I no longer need/desire to go to USA for long weekends visits or vacations , I just don't feel comfortable in a place with so much societal dysfunction.
As for our op I think his paranoia about authority will have him being denied entry into Canada as he balks about being interrogated for having no passport and a scanner and he sounds like some one who will try to smuggle his gun across the border. Doctor Z if you do make the effort to get to Canada let us know how it goes and what you think of our beautiful country. best of luck
The only "weapon" I carry in my vehicle is a police Night Stick. This is only used during Road Rage confrontations.

But I'm sure Canadians are much more courteous drivers than us Americans, so that's a non-issue.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:24 PM

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/transpo...-for-real.aspx

Old 02-16-2018, 08:16 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
?? That link doesn't say anything about fingerprints or DNA swabs for the Real ID.

Quote:
Under REAL ID, states are required to use a face biometric standard that allows for facial recognition and authentication, but not fingerprints, retinal scans or radio frequency.
This just means they need a clear frontal photo of your face, like the one already on your driver's license. They are not scanning your retinas when they take your photo.

For the record, we got US passports for ourselves and our kids two years ago, and we just needed photos (taken at a passport photo place so they would be the right size) and birth certificates. No fingerprints. Yes, they want your real name, real birthdate, and real address. You have all that info on your driver's license, don't you?

Actually, in California (and other states) a fingerprint is now required when you get a new (or renewed) driver's license. If that requirement comes to Minnesota, will you give up your license and stop driving?

I am not worried about anyone from the government of the US, or Canada for that matter, following me home. Why would they in the first place? And what if they did? I'm not doing anything illegal here.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:14 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
Quote:
We are a Minnesota family of four (two adults and two children) thinking of taking a vacation in Canada. We don't have any passports and don't want to get any.

With that in mind, what do we need to do to legally cross the boarder and back in a diesel pickup truck with a police scanner, Ham Radios and off road lights installed in it?
You will just simply need a passport book/ passport card or enhanced MN drivers license...

Clean out your car and drive right on up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Why are many Americans so against holding a valid passport? I don’t get it!
Because we live in the best country in the world and don't need one, duh!

Quote:
The reason I don't want to get a passport, and do NOT have an "enhanced DL" is because I refuse to be fingerprinted, Retina scanned, or DNA tested! I will NOT be tracked.

I have a police scanner installed in my vehicle because I can. As a valid Amateur Radio Operator my Ham License gives me permission to carry one in the vehicle in all States but New York. I didn't know what the rules are for Canada though.

If I cannot cross the border without giving up all my personal privacy or my scanner, I will simply not go.

As for proving my citizenship, I do have a copy of my birth certificate, and a current registration title in my vehicle. Is that good enough?
It's too late for all that now, all we can do know is just stay under the radar.

Getting a passport is a good idea just in case if things go bad and you gotta make a run for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Nope. His tinfoil is double sided. He's just disappointed you don't have a hat of your own.
Why do you have to make fun of us tinfoil hat wearers?

Old 02-16-2018, 10:10 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
My cell phone is older, not a smart phone and always turned OFF except for emergency. My license plates are "privatized" (yes you can do this in Minnesota) and register to a different address than where I actually live, and my internet service is from home, not mobile.

I do have a GPS, but it's not connected to any transmitter, so it can only receive data. I have no U-Connect in my older vehicles and I use the Ham Radio for all my communication needs.

You're lucky on the passport, but all the ones I've seen around here have finger prints in them and I've been told they take DNA swabs when you apply. Perhaps yours is older and grandfathered in? I've never had a passport in my life.
LOL, so silly,

As I already said, I got mine two years ago. No fingerprints, no swabs. Nonsense.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
DocZ heres how its done =
https://www.immihelp.com/nri/uspassport.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada