Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 11:23 AM

518 posts, read 398,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
1. Yes. You asked "what" I am, and I responded. Also, a brief glance at MTL demographics show that, yes, French is sitting at just under 50% of the mother-tongue spoken, but that's certainly not because of English. English has been sitting at 12% for what appears to be decades, and has been at a slight decline. The main reason for the sub-50% is the "OTHER" category. It's pretty hard to call 12% "anglicized."

2. Actually, not really. The suburbs directly between that town and Montreal are about 85% or so French.

+ the number of 12% is of less importance, because it does not include anglicized francophones or allophones who shifted towards English as their main language, the real number therefore, for main language, is 28%

+ 28% English is a record all-time high in the 21st century Montréal and it keeps increasing, while the native language remains stable

+ Of course it is because of English, English steals the % share of French and lures allophones into integrating into the English community, instead of integrating into the French community!

It becomes evident in the category everyday language.

+ I prefer to use the numbers for Montréal Island, because Dorval, Westmount, etc. are as close to downtown Montréal as are the other arrondissements. English is the native language of 19% of people on Montréal Island and it jumps to 28% as an everyday language, an increase of 47%, whereas the increase for French is only 14%.
So, 47 : 14 = 3,35. That means English is 3,35 times more powerful than Fench, despite French accounting close to 50% of the islands population. That's because many anglophones and some allophones shamelessly exploit Montréal's blingualism and ignore French.
So English has stolen and keeps stealing many allophones, who would otherwise have integrated into francophone society.
Within the city of Montréal, the increase is also much stronger in favor of English than for French.

+ That can only be something around Saint-Constant or Boucherville or Charlemagne. About 1/3 of the outerlying suburbs.

+ which language do you use know at home in Florida?

Last edited by QuebecOpec; 06-05-2018 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 12:10 PM

17,162 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post
+

Considering I don't know anyone here who speaks fluent French, I speak English and Spanish here, as those are the two languages I frequently encounter on a daily basis. Spanish stores are entirely in Spanish, so it's good to be fluent in the language if I want to interact with them.

When speaking with my relatives (who are still in Montreal) I speak with one in English and the other in French. No real reason why. It's just how it is.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:09 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post
+ the number of 12% is of less importance, because it does not include anglicized francophones or allophones who shifted towards English as their main language, the real number therefore, for main language, is 28%

+ 28% English is a record all-time high in the 21st century Montréal and it keeps increasing, while the native language remains stable

+ Of course it is because of English, English steals the % share of French and lures allophones into integrating into the English community, instead of integrating into the French community!

It becomes evident in the category everyday language.

+ I prefer to use the numbers for Montréal Island, because Dorval, Westmount, etc. are as close to downtown Montréal as are the other arrondissements. English is the native language of 19% of people on Montréal Island and it jumps to 28% as an everyday language, an increase of 47%, whereas the increase for French is only 14%.
So, 47 : 14 = 3,35. That means English is 3,35 times more powerful than Fench, despite French accounting close to 50% of the islands population. That's because many anglophones and some allophones shamelessly exploit Montréal's blingualism and ignore French.
So English has stolen and keeps stealing many allophones, who would otherwise have integrated into francophone society.
Within the city of Montréal, the increase is also much stronger in favor of English than for French.

+ That can only be something around Saint-Constant or Boucherville or Charlemagne. About 1/3 of the outerlying suburbs.

I disagree with your premise that English is taking over Montreal and that somehow the English are stealing the Allophone demographic however good for them if that is happening as knowing English opens up a wide range of potential if one leaves the confines of Quebec, unilingual francophones are virtual cultural prisoners of Quebec.
To answer the ops question i think its obvious linguistic tensions are very volatile in Quebec,say the wrong thing to the wrong person and expect to be berated for your lack of French.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:45 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
To answer the ops question i think its obvious linguistic tensions are very volatile in Quebec,say the wrong thing to the wrong person and expect to be berated for your lack of French.
Bwaaaaaaaah it very rarely bubbles over these days.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:51 PM

17,162 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Bwaaaaaaaah it very rarely bubbles over these days.
Yeah I've been back to Montreal a few times with non-French-speaking friends, and they never had any issues anywhere getting service in English, including in some very French parts of the South Shore.

Now, say I went to a local dive bar and I attempted to speak to the bartenders/servers in English despite having a very French name and clearly a full understanding of the language, no doubt I'd be frowned at quite some.
But outsiders aren't going to have any issues like that for the most part.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yeah I've been back to Montreal a few times with non-French-speaking friends, and they never had any issues anywhere getting service in English, including in some very French parts of the South Shore.

Now, say I went to a local dive bar and I attempted to speak to the bartenders/servers in English despite having a very French name and clearly a full understanding of the language, no doubt I'd be frowned at quite some.
But outsiders aren't going to have any issues like that for the most part.
It also depends on your attitude too. This applies anywhere you go in the world.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quique07 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Toronto/Canada in September.
I'm from LA, but since I'm going with my cousin in Mexico, we'll fly from Mexico City to Toronto.

Once in Canada, I plan to rent a car and drive ourselves around...

This is our first time in Canada. So we're both pretty excited... but also very unfamiliar...

I plan to do an Airbnb, about 4 nights in Toronto, and 4 nights in Montreal...

My biggest concern is the drive from Toronto to Montreal... is it bad?

I'm 100% fluent in English, but my French is very limited-basic... would this be in issue when driving and entering Quebec and in Montreal?

--------------------------

My other option is to go with a bus tour, where it includes hotel. So everything is pretty arrange for you..but you have to go with their schedule... but idk if this better

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Sorry for helping to hijack your topic, bottom line hope you have a good time in Montreal no matter which way you decide to get here. A taste of our great city =Summers in Marvelous Montreal | Explore the Beautiful City

Old 06-07-2018, 08:54 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
On one of my early trips to Canada, in November 1976 I drove the other direction, from Montreal to near Watertown, New York and down I-81 back to college. I got a ticket just as I crossed the Ontario line when the speed limit dropped. A few weeks later I paid it. My college friends thought I was crazy, to pay a Canadian ticket.

I thought I was being a good neighbor. Now, the only jurisdictions New York has reciprocity with are Ontario and Quebec, and no U.S. states. Then, that was not the case. Go figure.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
On one of my early trips to Canada, in November 1976 I drove the other direction, from Montreal to near Watertown, New York and down I-81 back to college. I got a ticket just as I crossed the Ontario line when the speed limit dropped. A few weeks later I paid it. My college friends thought I was crazy, to pay a Canadian ticket.

I thought I was being a good neighbor. Now, the only jurisdictions New York has reciprocity with are Ontario and Quebec, and no U.S. states. Then, that was not the case. Go figure.
I believe Quebec has reciprocity for traffic tickets with NY, VT, NH, ME and FL at the very least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada