Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 10:37 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
BTW, according to the menu, she prepared a “St. Cyr plate”. Perfect for visitors from my home state.
St-Cyr is a common name in Mississippi? I suppose you know where those people were before they went down there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Her name looks Portuguese to me.
I guess in Montreal people’s accents can be affected by whether their English teacher is an Anglophone or Francophone.

Not really. Most francophones who are English teachers here often have very little trace of French in their accents when they speak English. My kids have had anglophones, francophones and even allophones as English teachers over the years and it hasn't really affected their accent when they speak English.

Their accent in English depends on other factors like speaking in French with their friends all the time, and intangibles like if they are "gifted" for languages and accents as some people are.

The latter would be my case, to the point where my Spanish teachers always told me I had an amazing accent. When in Spanish speaking countries, I'd trot out my basic Spanish and people would mistake me for an extremely fluent speaker and immediately get into rapid-fire, often colloquial Spanish - which I could barely understand at all.

One of my kids seems similarly gifted for languages.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:49 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
St-Cyr is a common name in Mississippi? I suppose you know where those people were before they went down there...
I meant the size of the portions are ideal for a Mississippian.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouldy old schmo View Post
i meant the size of the portions are ideal for a mississippian.
ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada