Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 02:39 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times

Advertisements

Watching the TV news today, I was surprised to find that we are the only single-payer/UHC country that did not have low (i.e. a $5 co-pay) or no-cost pharmacare. I applaud the efforts made by the current government to make national pharmacare a fact, and I hope that their Conservative opponents say, "Yeah we'll do that too!" Levels the playing ground going into the election.

Now, would it apply to pets? I remember paying $90 for my cat's insulin every three months. Probably not, but I'm glad that national pharmacare has entered into our discourse.

Now, we need vision too. That typo I made the other day about "fiends and family" told me that I should be wearing my glasses when I post here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 04:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Some drugs are equivalent to US prices others are cheaper in price, case in point insulin =https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ulin-1.5125988

Old 06-13-2019, 02:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Mouldy, why did you think drugs were cheap in Canada? Where did you get that idea from? Did somebody tell you that?

Drugs aren't cheaper, I think it's just that many of them are not as restricted in Canada and are easier to get prescriptions for or they're easier to buy over the counter or off the shelf without prescriptions. Like certain types of products with codeine in them, just for one example. But cheap? - no way!

Many drugs etc are cheaper in Canada, when compared to the US.

Insulin, Epipens, and on and on.

That is why some states, like Florida, talk about buying cheaper drugs in Canada for use in the US.

https://www.policymed.com/2019/04/im...n-florida.html

Old 06-14-2019, 01:28 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
As other have already mention Canadian drug prices are on average significantly lower than those in the United States. Of course, that isn't saying much, because the Americans pay just about the highest prices of anyone in the world. Canada does pay relatively high prices for drugs (and other healthcare btw) when compared to other OECD countries.

One of the organisms that leads to lower prices in Canada compared to the US is the Patented Medicine Prices Review Board (PMPRB) which, to oversimplify, does things like say "hey company wanting to sell your new drug in Canada, you can't charge Canadians more than the average you're charging citizens in these 16 other OECD countries". It similarly forbids obvious or excessive price gouging. It really is preventing the edge cases while allowing companies quite alot of freedom to charge what they like, so it isn't preventing us paying more than our peers, but does stop some of the more egregious examples of exploitative drug pricing from happening.

Another force is collective bargaining from provincial insurers. This lowers generic drug prices, but the fact that the provinces are mostly acting in silos reduces the effectiveness of the collective bargaining, once again leading to lower prices than the US, but higher prices than peers overseas in other developed economies.

A third factor in relatively high prices is, well, being a small market spread out over a huge geography. This effects Canadian prices in lots of domains, not just drugs.

I know that's not a fully complete answer. Without doxxing myself, I'll say that I'm a pharmacist registered in BC and QC who works in clinical research, and my wife's in public health, so if you have follow-up questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:28 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Mouldy, why did you think drugs were cheap in Canada? Where did you get that idea from? Did somebody tell you that?

Drugs aren't cheaper, I think it's just that many of them are not as restricted in Canada and are easier to get prescriptions for or they're easier to buy over the counter or off the shelf without prescriptions. Like certain types of products with codeine in them, just for one example. But cheap? - no way!

Because busloads of diabetics from the US have been going to Canada for affordable insulin, and because there are websites based in Canada, that market drugs to Americans, at much more affordable prices. It may only be certain drugs that are cheaper.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:31 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,329,814 times
A family member spends an average of $500 every 3 months on prescription drugs. It won't break the bank for now, but it can be worrisome should his condition worsens requiring more treatments.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:55 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
This tid-bit was featured on Robin Meades HLN news show this AM;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.4d9d6fe1a239

excerpt: "$1,200 for drugs that would have cost them $12,000 in the U.S."

Old 06-18-2019, 01:42 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
This tid-bit was featured on Robin Meades HLN news show this AM;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.4d9d6fe1a239

excerpt: "$1,200 for drugs that would have cost them $12,000 in the U.S."
I feel for them...and they kind of won me over by making this not only an insulin run, but to also protest against insane drug costs. Going to London, Ontario where Banting worked, is brilliant.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:17 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Note to Canadians and other developed countries with a national single-payer healthcare system: Lots of corporate propaganda is published by PR departments of the for-profit healthcare industries, namely pharmaceuticals, hospitals, and health insurance companies that create scare tactics or distortions of fact to Americans. They will demean, slander, etc. your countries and health care systems to keep their dominance in America!

I've heard that people are "dying from rationing in Canada", "poor medical care in the U.K.", "high prices in Australia/New Zealand", and "lack of availability in Europe". If my NHS nurse aunt heard that she was incompetent by the U.S. propaganda, she would be outraged!

Old 06-20-2019, 11:00 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Note to Canadians and other developed countries with a national single-payer healthcare system: Lots of corporate propaganda is published by PR departments of the for-profit healthcare industries, namely pharmaceuticals, hospitals, and health insurance companies that create scare tactics or distortions of fact to Americans. They will demean, slander, etc. your countries and health care systems to keep their dominance in America!

I've heard that people are "dying from rationing in Canada", "poor medical care in the U.K.", "high prices in Australia/New Zealand", and "lack of availability in Europe". If my NHS nurse aunt heard that she was incompetent by the U.S. propaganda, she would be outraged!
Oh, we're well aware of that. We see it all the time, here and elsewhere.

I find it odd, though, that the Americans who believe American sources on the topic of Canadian healthcare (no matter how incorrect or outlandish those sources' claims are); refuse to believe the Canadians who have direct experience with their own healthcare system. We have to laugh when we're told, by Americans, that we're dropping like flies due to long wait times; that we have to wait six months or longer simply to be assigned a physician (note that you choose you own physician here; you are not assigned one); or that certain medical treatments, such as brain surgery or some cancer treatments, are unavailable here. And let's not forget some Americans' claims that many, many Canadians are flocking to the US, dollars in hand, just to access the healthcare that they are denied at home, because their government says that they cannot have it. "Death panels," you know.

We Canadians know very well that these claims, and the stuff that comes out of the backside of a bull, are similar. We do try to counter these claims--after all, we have direct experience with our healthcare system and can report the truth--but after a while, it becomes like bashing your head against a wall: it feels so good when you stop. But after a while, we go back to bashing our heads against the wall, since, eventually, somebody might believe us. In other words, lather, rinse, repeat.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 06-21-2019 at 12:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada