Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 11:31 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,226,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yeah but again how is expressing that with words on a t shirt any more offensive than some one letting you know they believe Allah created the world and created you? Religious clothing are also symbols that are meant to convey a message, its no different really.
But, stop a minute. Isn't there really a difference?

If I wear a tee shirt or have a prominent tattoo which says "Believe in Pooks or fry in lye forever." That is a pretty heavy-duty hard core Pooksian religious message.

But if someone approaches you on the street wearing the traditional Pooksian cat's ears, that only says that that person is a Pooksian, providing you even know what the costume means; but it in no way even hints at the belief that is on the tee shirt (unless you already know about that belief.)

The sight me in the traditional Pooksian religious costume in itself tells you nothing about the fact that this guy thinks you are headed for an eternity in lye. But the tee shirt with the quote is - IMO - quite intentionally in every non-Pooksian face that reads it.

Thus, I would say there is a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 11:38 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,120,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is Pere Noel rowing down the Ottawa River?
Depending on the year he could cross the river on the ice in his sleigh.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:47 AM

2,408 posts, read 1,587,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Depending on the year he could cross the river on the ice in his sleigh.
or drive over at Quyon

Old 12-12-2019, 11:54 AM

7,490 posts, read 4,970,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
And R.C. and Orthodox Christian nuns and monks have worn their religious habits on the streets too, and these religious costumes are no less in-your-face, i.e. visible.
They wear religious based garments to show that their job is in religion at the church or monastery. They don't dress like that and then work as bus drivers, teachers or politicians.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
They wear religious based garments to show that their job is in religion at the church or monastery. They don't dress like that and then work as bus drivers, teachers or politicians.
They used to, but generally haven't for a couple of decades.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
But, stop a minute. Isn't there really a difference?

If I wear a tee shirt or have a prominent tattoo which says "Believe in Pooks or fry in lye forever." That is a pretty heavy-duty hard core Pooksian religious message.

But if someone approaches you on the street wearing the traditional Pooksian cat's ears, that only says that that person is a Pooksian, providing you even know what the costume means; but it in no way even hints at the belief that is on the tee shirt (unless you already know about that belief.)

The sight me in the traditional Pooksian religious costume in itself tells you nothing about the fact that this guy thinks you are headed for an eternity in lye. But the tee shirt with the quote is - IMO - quite intentionally in every non-Pooksian face that reads it.

Thus, I would say there is a big difference.
This is more a function of yours and everyone's personal knowledge than anything else. My mom speaks English but probably wouldn't get the message "Believe in Pooks or fry in lye forever".

But because of our collective (Western) knowledge she sure as hell knows what a swastika means even though it's only a symbol with no words.

Absent that built-up knowledge it wouldn't mean anything more than something representing the Hindu divinity Ghanesh.

So it's totally possible that, if the knowledge (either individual or collective) lined up, the sight of you in the traditional Pooksian religious costume in itself might be widely seen as you thinking we are all headed for an eternity in lye.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Duh, call me pagan, but what is Christian about the Easter Bunny? It wasn't the Easter Bunny who popped out of the tomb with a basket of eggs, so why would the bunny dude be anathema?
There's nothing religious about the easter bunny, santa, or singing Jingle Bells, but those symbols are associated with Christian holidays and therefore increasingly perceived as politically incorrect in schools.
"When the principal at Cambridge Public School in Embrun, Ont., a small community east of Ottawa, cancelled the Christmas concert this year to accommodate nine students who didn't want to participate, she thought it might upset a few families.

She underestimated the backlash. Principal Mhairi Rowland received more than 300 e-mails from across Canada, many of them vicious. The kinder critics called her a Grinch and accused her of cancelling Christmas.

"We're having a Christmas concert during the day with Christmas music and there's no bhangra in there. Save it for Diwali or Visakhi or something else you're going to celebrate," Ms. Gill said."
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...rticle1357339/

Old 12-12-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
They used to, but generally haven't for a couple of decades.
Good point. Nuns were teachers at one point, and Catholic schools still expect their teachers to be Catholic.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
There's nothing religious about the easter bunny, santa, or singing Jingle Bells, but those symbols are associated with Christian holidays and therefore increasingly perceived as politically incorrect in schools.
"When the principal at Cambridge Public School in Embrun, Ont., a small community east of Ottawa, cancelled the Christmas concert this year to accommodate nine students who didn't want to participate, she thought it might upset a few families.

She underestimated the backlash. Principal Mhairi Rowland received more than 300 e-mails from across Canada, many of them vicious. The kinder critics called her a Grinch and accused her of cancelling Christmas.

"We're having a Christmas concert during the day with Christmas music and there's no bhangra in there. Save it for Diwali or Visakhi or something else you're going to celebrate," Ms. Gill said."
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...rticle1357339/
I found this almost unbelievable:

When the parent council president at Surrey, B.C.'s Newton Elementary School proposed holding a Christmas concert this year, the room fell silent.

Most of the kids at Newton are of South Asian descent, and the parent council president, Bindi Gill, is a Sikh. They hadn't put on a Christmas concert in years – until this week.
Ms. Gill, who was born in Canada, has fond memories of Christmas as a child – but things have changed in the last 20 years in her community, she says. She wonders how many even know the story and customs behind Christmas.

Really? It's been *years* since they've done anything for Christmas at this school in Vancouver? And the lady seems to be insinuating that they do something for Diwali or Visakhi. Which is fine in and of itself, but they would do that, but nothing for Christmas?

It's worth mentioning that silliness of this nature often does not originate with immigrants or people of immigrant origin, but rather Canadians of "longer establishment" who want to go overboard in their obsessive desire to accommodate diversity. If you actually talk to most people of non-Christian religions, they're often baffled by this and generally will say they don't at all mind the focus on Christmas and Easter, for example.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:54 PM

7,684 posts, read 5,550,576 times
I occasionally see Mennonite(?) women in Winnipeg dressed in traditional cap and long gowns. A favorite spot to visit seems to be Value Village where they turn up with their husbands in trucks. I dropped off my mother’s 70 year old iron Dutch oven there hoping it would find a good home with one of them.

I once saw three or four teenagers in their traditional old-fashioned garb seated on a bench in a busy shopping mall tapping on their cell phones. The contrast made me smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada