Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 01:23 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,970,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I found this almost unbelievable:

When the parent council president at Surrey, B.C.'s Newton Elementary School proposed holding a Christmas concert this year, the room fell silent.

Most of the kids at Newton are of South Asian descent, and the parent council president, Bindi Gill, is a Sikh. They hadn't put on a Christmas concert in years – until this week.
Ms. Gill, who was born in Canada, has fond memories of Christmas as a child – but things have changed in the last 20 years in her community, she says. She wonders how many even know the story and customs behind Christmas.

Really? It's been *years* since they've done anything for Christmas at this school in Vancouver? And the lady seems to be insinuating that they do something for Diwali or Visakhi. Which is fine in and of itself, but they would do that, but nothing for Christmas?

It's worth mentioning that silliness of this nature often does not originate with immigrants or people of immigrant origin, but rather Canadians of "longer establishment" who want to go overboard in their obsessive desire to accommodate diversity. If you actually talk to most people of non-Christian religions, they're often baffled by this and generally will say they don't at all mind the focus on Christmas and Easter, for example.
In the article, it is mentioned that 9 students refused to participate in the Christmas concert in 2011. I suspect that is what opened the discussion to cancel Christmas, so I don't think non-Christians can claim to be baffled by cancelled Christmas when it was non-Christians who refused to participate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 01:24 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,224,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
There's nothing religious about the easter bunny, santa, or singing Jingle Bells, but those symbols are associated with Christian holidays and therefore increasingly perceived as politically incorrect in schools....
Interesting, I think the skew of my own experience stopped me from actually thinking beyond it.

I have many times heard Christians object to Santa and even more to the Easter Bunny, so I rather quickly jumped to the thought that having Santa or the Bunny would slickly and quickly secularize each holiday. But upon reconsideration I guess the secular and the religious, ironically, have become too joined at the hip by now to be able to be separated.

I am quite old, and it has been many, many decades since I was a Christian believer, so the Bunny (especially) and Santa have become preeminent. If there were a slogan to the effect of "Boot the Bunny out of Easter" it would take me a moment to get what would be left. It would be an "...........Oh!...Yeah, right" reaction.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:35 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,604,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Muslims and Sikhs are pretty in our faces about their religion here in Canada. I can't leave my house without seeing some one in a hijab or a turban.

Lets not kid ourselves Christmas holidays in this country are Christian in origin. I am saying this as an athiest, I am not Christian but lets be fair.
PART of the Christmas holidays. Its a Frankenstein’s Monster of Norse, Roman, and Christian traditions blended together. The last hundred years have also seen influence on the holiday by large multinational corporations. Santa Clause didn’t wear white/red till Coca-Cola ran an ad with Santa Clause in company colors.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:09 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,115,007 times
Quote:
In the article, it is mentioned that 9 students refused to participate in the Christmas concert in 2011. I suspect that is what opened the discussion to cancel Christmas, so I don't think non-Christians can claim to be baffled by cancelled Christmas when it was non-Christians who refused to participate.
Yeah, some of them can be like that. I won't deny it.

My question would be: are we encouraging more and more people to be like that?

Old 12-12-2019, 03:27 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,834,786 times
Quote:
Good point. Nuns were teachers at one point, and Catholic schools still expect their teachers to be Catholic.
It’s hard to find a Catholic school that’s really Catholic anymore. My neighbor has a daughter who teaches religion at a Catholic school, but the daughter and her family are lapsed.

Here’s an old-school Catholic school in, of all places, Quebec.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9tHQY_svzNU

Old 12-12-2019, 06:32 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,352,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You've never heard of that? Or that the Blue Bombers and Roughriders have a football rivalry that revolves around the Labour Day weekend?
I think I hadn't heard your wording since I'm not a sports fan. Are Labour Day and the Grey Cup on the same weekend?

I also didn't know we were known for banjo playing.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:49 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,430,130 times
That's a good point, why the hell do they call it the banjo bowl?

Old 12-12-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I occasionally see Mennonite(?) women in Winnipeg dressed in traditional cap and long gowns. A favorite spot to visit seems to be Value Village where they turn up with their husbands in trucks. I dropped off my mother’s 70 year old iron Dutch oven there hoping it would find a good home with one of them.

I once saw three or four teenagers in their traditional old-fashioned garb seated on a bench in a busy shopping mall tapping on their cell phones. The contrast made me smile.
Sounds like Holdeman Mennonites, an offshoot group that originated in Ohio. They dress in long dresses and baptized members have caps over their hair. They use all the modern conveniences.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:13 PM

I don't care what people wear on their bodies, nor do I care about "Jesus is the reason for season." I just don't see religious motifs on tee shirts here. This is the season when Christians celebrate the birth of Christ. I also don't care about the fact that secular people celebrate secular versions of Christmas since the meaningfulness of Christmas is up to the individual.

Here I'm wished "Merry Christmas" in stores. It's been decades since I was at a school Christmas programme so I don't know how secular they are but I haven't heard of any schools here without a Christmas programme. If memory serves, school programmes always were more secular than the church programmes.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
PART of the Christmas holidays. Its a Frankenstein’s Monster of Norse, Roman, and Christian traditions blended together. The last hundred years have also seen influence on the holiday by large multinational corporations. Santa Clause didn’t wear white/red till Coca-Cola ran an ad with Santa Clause in company colors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_suit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada