Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 11:09 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,138,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
China has so many people coming and going around the world all the time, so how do we know that the virus was not brought to China from somewhere else in the world? Just like Canadians brought it to Canada from the USA. Wuhan itself is a university city with multiple universities, it has thousands of international students coming and going from all over the world every year.

So how do we know that some of those international students didn't bring the virus with them from some other country and then Wuhan became an epicenter for the first big outbreak because it has so many people in it from everywhere else in the world? All exposing each other as well as China's own students and their families and other people of China. And thence to more Chinese travelers as well as other students travelling back to their own countries.
Well the place with "the first big outbreak" is likely close to the place where the first human got infected, so conspiracy theories notwithstanding, an unanswered question would be "if the virus was brought from outside by an infected student/visitor, why didn’t any other place experience an outbreak before that or at the same time?" Especially given that we had a mild flu season this year, an outbreak anywhere would certainly have been big news.

Given everything we know about how easily this virus spreads, I am not lending any credibility to the "maybe it came from elsewhere" argument until that question is answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 04:38 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Canada now has more Covid 19 deaths than China!

Canada 4,693 deaths

China 4,633 deaths

Think about that....

Canada population 37 million

China population 1.3 billion

And it started in China

Can is doing better than USA but not really doing that great.

Australia has about 10 times less Covid 19 cases than Canada....and way less deaths.

IMO Justin and Theresa Tam could have been a bit quicker on Covid 19...
back in January ...February...and early march.
I sure as hell don’t trust the Chinese numbers. Australia so far has been sparred the worse,hopefully that continues to be the case. The US, UK and Canada are all faring poorly.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:47 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,823 times
Quote:
Just some thoughts that are meandering around inside my head.

We now know that most of our cases were imported from the USA, not from China.

Do we know that it's a 100% for sure fire fact that the virus originated / started in China and not somewhere else? I think too much finger pointing and emphasis of blame is being put on China and so they are going on the defensive. Maybe fudging numbers because of that.

China has so many people coming and going around the world all the time, so how do we know that the virus was not brought to China from somewhere else in the world? Just like Canadians brought it to Canada from the USA. Wuhan itself is a university city with multiple universities, it has thousands of international students coming and going from all over the world every year.

So how do we know that some of those international students didn't bring the virus with them from some other country and then Wuhan became an epicenter for the first big outbreak because it has so many people in it from everywhere else in the world? All exposing each other as well as China's own students and their families and other people of China. And thence to more Chinese travelers as well as other students travelling back to their own countries.

Even China says it started spreading person-to-person in Wuhan in late 2019, and the early path of the virus says as much. All the science I have read on SARS-COV-2 indicates that it originated in China. I haven’t read anything or seen any evidence to make me believe it originated elsewhere.

I also don’t blame China or Chinese people for the disease and all the chaos and death it has caused. However, I do hold the CCP responsible for covering up the human-to-human transmissibility when such knowledge could have been acted on and the outbreak contained to Wuhan and Hebei. The CCP’s fears about what the knowledge would do to their economy and their arrogant belief that they could stamp it out before it spread beyond China’s borders was foolish and criminally negligent. But politicians never pay for their crimes, especially in authoritarian states like China.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:13 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Even China says it started spreading person-to-person in Wuhan in late 2019, and the early path of the virus says as much. All the science I have read on SARS-COV-2 indicates that it originated in China. I haven’t read anything or seen any evidence to make me believe it originated elsewhere.

I also don’t blame China or Chinese people for the disease and all the chaos and death it has caused. However, I do hold the CCP responsible for covering up the human-to-human transmissibility when such knowledge could have been acted on and the outbreak contained to Wuhan and Hebei. The CCP’s fears about what the knowledge would do to their economy and their arrogant belief that they could stamp it out before it spread beyond China’s borders was foolish and criminally negligent. But politicians never pay for their crimes, especially in authoritarian states like China.
Nicely said.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:30 PM

What I don't understand is why face masks in stores aren't made mandatory. No mask, no entrance. Given that they've stated that face masks help you keep your germs to yourself, how would that not make sense? There was ONE person wearing a mask in the grocery store today, besides myself. I also don't understand why parents are allowed to take children into stores. I saw quite a few kids aged 5 - 12 with their parents.

And Canadian Tire has a policy of one cart per person in order to keep track of how many people are in the store and I believe they also have a policy of asking for one person per household and yet couples were shopping there today. Each couple means the line is longer. I think they don't want to tangle with difficult customers but I would like that policy enforced. It shouldn't have to be but there's always one person who ruins it for everyone.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:42 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
What I don't understand is why face masks in stores aren't made mandatory. No mask, no entrance. Given that they've stated that face masks help you keep your germs to yourself, how would that not make sense? There was ONE person wearing a mask in the grocery store today, besides myself. I also don't understand why parents are allowed to take children into stores. I saw quite a few kids aged 5 - 12 with their parents.

And Canadian Tire has a policy of one cart per person in order to keep track of how many people are in the store and I believe they also have a policy of asking for one person per household and yet couples were shopping there today. Each couple means the line is longer. I think they don't want to tangle with difficult customers but I would like that policy enforced. It shouldn't have to be but there's always one person who ruins it for everyone.
I'm thinking maybe that policy varies at different locations. The Canadian Tire store here has a sign at the front entrance that says that only two persons per family can go in together and there's an employee at the door supervising the number of people entering and exiting the store. As soon as a customer exits the store he allows another customer in.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:54 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Default The Cigarette Effect making smokers more resistant to virus

This is the first I'm hearing of it but according to some studies apparently there may be something in cigarettes that is making regular smokers less susceptible to the virus than non-smokers and ex-smokers are. A study of public health data appears to show that smokers are 80 per cent less likely to catch COVID-19 than comparable non-smokers. It's being called The Cigarette Effect. But tests are still being conducted and nobody knows yet if it's the doses of nicotine or some other substances in tobacco that is having the effect.

Colby Cosh: Where there's smoke — the cigarettes-and-COVID story is growing harder to ignore

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...promising-data

Old 05-11-2020, 06:56 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post

Heck, even I knew on February 8 that China was covering up thousands of deaths. I’d read a post in the Current Events forum back then that linked to a New York Post article which stated:
Quote:
One crematorium manager told a Hong Kong reporter that, in normal times, his 24 ovens were lit five days a week for four hours at a time. Now, he said, they have so many corpses to deal with that all the ovens are going around the clock. This suggests the body count must be in the thousands.
I simply did the math... and that is just one of Wuhan’s 14 crematoriums. So, no I don’t believe foreign governments and their intelligence services didn’t know about all the deaths back then and that the Chinese government was covering it up. They had the knowledge and didn’t properly act on it then.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
This is the first I'm hearing of it but according to some studies apparently there may be something in cigarettes that is making regular smokers less susceptible to the virus than non-smokers and ex-smokers are. A study of public health data appears to show that smokers are 80 per cent less likely to catch COVID-19 than comparable non-smokers. It's being called The Cigarette Effect. But tests are still being conducted and nobody knows yet if it's the doses of nicotine or some other substances in tobacco that is having the effect.

Colby Cosh: Where there's smoke — the cigarettes-and-COVID story is growing harder to ignore

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...promising-data
I had read about that before. It's really quite funny.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking maybe that policy varies at different locations. The Canadian Tire store here has a sign at the front entrance that says that only two persons per family can go in together and there's an employee at the door supervising the number of people entering and exiting the store. As soon as a customer exits the store he allows another customer in.

You could be right. Shopper's here has a policy of 1 person per household but I think it's worded as a suggestion and there is no one policing it. All the employees wear masks. The Superstore I go to also has a notice of one person per household and they limit how many are in the store at one time but I haven't had to wait in a line for several weeks now. Today they had plenty of toilet paper but they didn't have the 25kg bags of Robin Hood flour my mother wanted or yeast.

I think, but am not 100% sure, that the Canadian Tire also asks that people limit to 1 person per household. There is always a line but it moves pretty fast. They do insist that each person take a cart to help with social distancing.

I would not be taking my kids shopping with me if I had kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada