Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 06:32 AM

3,468 posts, read 2,801,819 times

Advertisements

Is Mr. Walters giving sound advice to potential visitors to Canada? Is there anything that should be added for particular provinces?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvhBAvvoNyk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 08:27 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,066,361 times
Yes, he absolutely is giving sound advice. What an observant and astute person he is, he totally nailed it dead on. I've never heard of him before but I like that guy, he's a sharp customer and very diplomatic.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:34 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,071,186 times
A lot of it is in the "for dummies" category, but yes it's all quite correct.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:39 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,417,425 times
Wolter is a gentleman and a scholar. His videos are great.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:16 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,577,348 times
I wouldn't suggest Tim Horton's and I'm a little bit put off that when he talks about great food, he focuses on fast food.
That said he is right about A&W, it's a different animal than the ones in the US.

Overall he does a good job and a lot of his points are universal and obviously pointed towards people who haven't travelled much, or at all, outside of the US.

I would add one more. Don't ask if the price is in American ( real money ) or Canadian, and if the store accepts USD don't expect change in USD.

Old 05-13-2021, 01:32 PM

Don’t say Jack Daniels is better than Crown Royal.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:51 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,066,361 times
Elixir of the Gods - nothing is better than Crown Royal.

Old 05-13-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Elixir of the Gods - nothing is better than Crown Royal.

I think both Jack Daniels and Crown Royal are overrated.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:19 PM

88,638 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I think both Jack Daniels and Crown Royal are overrated.
I think Crown Royal Northern Harvest deserved its 2015 Whiskey of the Year. Jack Daniels is what we drank in shots at dive bars in the early 1980s. Northern Harvest is sip-worthy.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:41 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,779,882 times
Lol! The Canadian accent. I don't think Americans think about a specific Canadian accent anymore these days. Most probably assume that Canadians sound just like the closest Americans e.g. Torontonians sounding like Buffalonians, Vancouverites sounding like Seattleans, etc. I did hear a quasi-English accent a few times when I visited Alberta so that might be a traditional Canadian accent but to me it was far more regional than national in nature. Torontonians definitely do not speak with that accent. As for "eh" or "ey", read Lyddie by Katherine Patterson and you'll find that northern New Englanders at one time said it frequently too so it is not authentic to Canada at all.

Queuing is a British thing. It's mentioned in the Hollies 1966 hit song "Bus Stop" and I've personally seen it done effectively in Hong Kong where metal stanchions actually section of a space for a queue. I did not see it applied as effectively in Canada, especially in the big cities where American style bunching still occurs. I mean sometimes a queue naturally forms when there is not enough physical space on the sidewalk and it is considered impolite to jump the queue but that is pretty much etiquette everywhere.

15-20% tip for formal restaurants is pretty standard here in the U.S. too and yes Americans are always expected to tip as well so that part is well understood. Whoever that does not tip is a miser, not an American. Foreigners from other parts of the world may have a harder time understanding the tip. In Hong Kong for instance, a percentage is already included in your bill for service so a tip is redundant.

Good thing he mentioned about pennies or else ignorant Americans would be holding out their hands waiting for the cashier to hand out a few more copper colored coins.

The tips about the rest stops make sense in some parts but he over-generalized it. There are huge swaths of the US with nary rest stops and so you'd better fill up and use the washroom when you can before taking off. I think Americans bringing their vehicles into Canada understand that they may encounter places without many rest stops. I always have a road map ready. On the contrary, I wouldn't freak out about rest stops while on the QEW. Sheesh.

I'd probably like to add my own list of don'ts to Mr. Wolters's list, some of which I learned from this City Data Forum over the years:

1) Don't tell a Canadian that Canada is a free rider benefiting from America's defense
2) Don't call provincial leaders provincial prime ministers or PPMs and don't consider the word premiere legally meaning the same thing as prime minister even though it comes from the same Latin root.
3) Don't think free speech in Canada is exactly the same thing as in the US.
4) Don't say that Canada is "our friendly but backwards neighbor" as a former US President supposedly implied (could have been a rude joke) and don't say that Canada is backward period.
5) Don't expect measurements to always be recorded in English Imperial (feet, inches, pounds, etc.)
6) Don't expect Canadian laws and societal norms to be the same as the US's (and don't expect Quebec laws and societal norms to be the same as the rest of Canada either)
7) On the contrary, don't treat anglophone Canada as such a foreign country that you'd have to pull out a "Canadian" dictionary (is there such a thing lol) or make pretend that you know so little that you're going to have a translator or tour guide to take you around. (Again Quebec may be an exception.)
8) Don't complain if Canadians don't treat you like a VIP, after all they have to look after themselves first
9) Don't assume that Canadians are ignorant about American politics.
10) Last of all, don't make fun of Canadians lest they make fun of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada