Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 02:28 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,959,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
If I had it my way, I'd prefer an option of either getting your own PCR test done within 72 hours or getting a mandatory test at the border provided by the Canadian government. That means those who can readily furnish a legit negative test taken within 72 hours ought to be exempt from the border testing. Then hey, the Canadian government is generously providing taxpayer funded tests free of charge to visitors and Canadian returnees in lieu of a potentially expensive private test because they care that much about public health. They even dropped the requirement that you must quarantine to wait for your results so you can go about your business. So what if you are randomly selected. I can't see how that is much for complaining. There are worse situations you can be in.
That's how it was done previously. You got your PCR test within 72 hours of crossing. Then you might be randomly tested again at the border, but I wasn't.

Old 03-28-2022, 04:49 PM

32 posts, read 34,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I have crossed a few times, if you are traveling for one day or two they probably won't test you, by the times results are back you are back in the States. Thats if they believe your truthful answer.
I'm sorry to post this kind of stuff, I just have a lot of trust issues...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2022, 06:07 AM

6 posts, read 1,378 times
We get lots of tourists up here in the Northwest Territories (NWT). I’m in Yellowknife, NWT and have been since 1978. Lotsa Japanese tour here for the northern lights (Aurora Borealis). Celebrities have been known to come up here as well for fishing trips.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:40 AM

4 posts, read 1,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think that's what the RANDOM test is. Unless I missed it I don't think people who are randomly tested have to pay anything for the test.

That’s not bad then. Here in the states, you had urgent care clinics charging $250 for a rapid test so that local governments like Los Angeles would allow you to attend concerts and night clubs.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade30 View Post
That’s not bad then. Here in the states, you had urgent care clinics charging $250 for a rapid test so that local governments like Los Angeles would allow you to attend concerts and night clubs.
That's outrageously expensive for a rapid test.

Old 03-30-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Okay I see - it's just a personal opinion you hold, it doesn't have anything to do with a disability or illness you might have that could make testing impractical or dangerous for you.
Well, I'm (mildly) autistic. Sure it's a disability, but not something that makes testing impractical for me personally. I've taken a COVID test once before - it came back negative.

It's just that I have this thing where, at least in certain situations, I would much prefer to know what to expect.

Old 03-30-2022, 11:03 AM

32,674 posts, read 48,152,369 times
The best way to get a reliable answer is to write to whichever government office in Canada that is in charge of border crossings. They will be the ones who know the answer to your question and are not guessing like those of us here on C-D.

The Canadian government even has a website about how to enter Canada as a tourist. You could check there and see what it says.

It's not a horrible thing to take the rapid test, so your other option is to just plan on taking it. If you don't have to take it, then you can be pleasantly surprised.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:53 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,887,398 times
Of the many - many - many - times I have driven over the Border in Buffalo (and returned, of course) - "let us swab your nose" is not in the Top 10 of "useless" or "anxiety." If you have fears or trust issues - crossing that border is not for you.

They can just as easily "randomly" tear your vehicle apart and forbid entry based on a zucchini. It's weird when you can
answer truthfully about your guns but nervously about your produce.

These things aren't common. And neither is a random COVID test.

Old 03-30-2022, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Of the many - many - many - times I have driven over the Border in Buffalo (and returned, of course) - "let us swab your nose" is not in the Top 10 of "useless" or "anxiety." If you have fears or trust issues - crossing that border is not for you.

They can just as easily "randomly" tear your vehicle apart and forbid entry based on a zucchini. It's weird when you can
answer truthfully about your guns but nervously about your produce.

These things aren't common. And neither is a random COVID test.
In other words, the odds of that happening are 3720 to 1...

Thanks for the peace of mind.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:07 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,783,535 times
My gripe is that you don't always get the type of border official you expect but that is the case on any border. Who says crossing international borders is a fun thing to do but as a previous poster said, you need to ask yourself "Do I really want to go to Canada right now?" and if the answer is a resounding yes, then by all means do everything you possibly can to prepare for a trip across the border. Interestingly, prior to the pandemic I always found our own American officials stricter than the Canadian counterparts. Nowadays I am not sure since I haven't traveled to Canada yet but if you check travelgc.ca, somewhere in that website it says that the border official makes the ultimate discretion on whether or not to let you in or let you in without a random test. So you're essentially at the mercy of a sole border official. Flip a coin in hopes of encountering a lenient official I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada