Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 01:39 AM

3,632 posts, read 3,426,926 times

Advertisements

Absolutely nothing.

But the provinces that seem to rule Canada--Quebec and Ontario--each have provincial police forces. Those are the Surete du Quebec (SDQ) and the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), respectively. Note that the Albertans who think that only the "big boys" have provincial police forces always forget the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary, which is the provincial police force on the island of Newfoundland. Anyway, the view of some in Alberta is that if we ever want to be respected as a prominent player in Canada, then we need our own provincial police force.

I can't see it, honestly. Yes, the province of Alberta pays the federal government for the use of the RCMP, but the taxpayers of Ontario pay for the OPP. I cannot see any cost savings if provincial policing were turned over to the "Alberta Provincial Police" ("APP"); rather, I see increased costs in training personnel, in building separate detachments for the APP, and so on.

As regards that latter point, why not just take over existing RCMP detachment buildings when the RCMP leaves? Because the RCMP operates in all provinces, each and every one, including Quebec, Ontario, and Newfoundland. In those three, it operates much as the US's FBI, doing investigations for matters that require resources that the provinces and municipalities don't have. Heck, there is an RCMP detachment in Toronto, in a famously ugly building on Jarvis Street in Toronto. In other provinces, it does everything from "FBI-style" investigations out of existing buildings to handing out traffic tickets on provincial highways.

I see no benefit to Alberta in establishing an APP. I do see increased costs via taxes, as we'd still have federal and provincial taxes to pay, and we'd still be paying for the RCMP's presence anyway. The system as it is now, has worked well for decades; it ain't broke; let's not try to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 12:06 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,523,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Absolutely nothing.

But the provinces that seem to rule Canada--Quebec and Ontario--each have provincial police forces. Those are the Surete du Quebec (SDQ) and the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), respectively. Note that the Albertans who think that only the "big boys" have provincial police forces always forget the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary, which is the provincial police force on the island of Newfoundland. Anyway, the view of some in Alberta is that if we ever want to be respected as a prominent player in Canada, then we need our own provincial police force.

I can't see it, honestly. Yes, the province of Alberta pays the federal government for the use of the RCMP, but the taxpayers of Ontario pay for the OPP. I cannot see any cost savings if provincial policing were turned over to the "Alberta Provincial Police" ("APP"); rather, I see increased costs in training personnel, in building separate detachments for the APP, and so on.

As regards that latter point, why not just take over existing RCMP detachment buildings when the RCMP leaves? Because the RCMP operates in all provinces, each and every one, including Quebec, Ontario, and Newfoundland. In those three, it operates much as the US's FBI, doing investigations for matters that require resources that the provinces and municipalities don't have. Heck, there is an RCMP detachment in Toronto, in a famously ugly building on Jarvis Street in Toronto. In other provinces, it does everything from "FBI-style" investigations out of existing buildings to handing out traffic tickets on provincial highways.

I see no benefit to Alberta in establishing an APP. I do see increased costs via taxes, as we'd still have federal and provincial taxes to pay, and we'd still be paying for the RCMP's presence anyway. The system as it is now, has worked well for decades; it ain't broke; let's not try to fix it.
Chevy; on point as usual.

All those little tax avoidance schemes dreamed up by anyone thinking they can get away with it, regardless of which province they reside, are going to receive the full attention of the RCMP.

A federal police force is responsible for all crimes deemed federal in nature, wherever in the country they occur.

Military bases are another area where you might find them turning over your mattress.

All those products that require a federal tax payment be made by manufacture prior to sale such as tobacco or alcohol with those ugly excise stamps on the packaging. Thefts of those will get you a door knocking by the RCMP.

How about the theft of fuel anywhere in Canada?

Old 09-09-2022, 03:15 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,339,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Absolutely nothing.

A provincial.police force gives the provincial government more power on which laws to be enforced. Tougher drug laws and less firearm violation concerns. And a provincial police force will bw mych better at protection resource companies from natives, envionmental groups, land owners and county governments.

Old 09-09-2022, 06:52 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,523,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
A provincial.police force gives the provincial government more power on which laws to be enforced. Tougher drug laws and less firearm violation concerns. And a provincial police force will bw mych better at protection resource companies from natives, envionmental groups, land owners and county governments.
Well, if you go by the past history of Ontario and another Conservative preemy Mike Harris with his "common sense revolution" and the resultant killing of Dudley George, a native, by an OPP sniper with the ensuing backlash that ruined his chances for re-election. I would not put much stock in a provincial police force having any better power over the socio-economic-political machinations of Provincial leaders.

Point of fact; it very often results in those provincial leaders thinking they've got the cops in their pocket that results in it all going sideways when they push the envelope without using "common sense'.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ipper...death-1.666937

Last edited by BruSan; 09-09-2022 at 07:15 PM..

Old 10-12-2022, 12:46 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,599,110 times
Alberta's new Premier.

Thoughts?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...g-in-1.6612767

Old 10-12-2022, 10:15 PM

7,684 posts, read 5,549,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I’ll just watch it all play out. Provincial election schedule:

Alberta - May 2023
Manitoba - by Oct 2023 (governing PCs almost certain to lose to the NDP due to urban vote)
Saskatchewan - by Oct 2024

Old 11-17-2022, 02:00 PM

318 posts, read 177,722 times
I'm optimistic Danielle Smith will win the election in the spring. They might lose a few seats in Calgary but even if they lose a dozen seats they'll still win a majority. The only reason Notley and the NDP won in 2015 is due to a votesplit between the Wildrose and PC parties (basically it's how Doug Ford and the PCs won in Ontario because of a votesplit between the Liberals and NDP) and since the Wildrose/PC merger to form the UCP, the UCP will continue to govern.

Regarding annexation to the U.S., I don't see it happening although, given the increased polarization between states in the U.S., I think a civil war in the U.S. flowing the election results in 2024 (no matter who wins) could happen and almost certainly Canada would be pulled into it which could end up in some sort of realignment. You never know. Many in the U.S. are at a boiling point.

Old 11-17-2022, 02:43 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,403,130 times
OP. this is not about the Liberal Party and Trudeau in particular.It is definitely not new.It is a long standing arrogance of the feds toward prairies provinces which brought to bear western alienation and has existed since 1867.

To think that the Prairie provinces would secede to the USA is nonsense. There would be no reason to and frankly it's highly repugnant. The Prairies are perfectly capable of operating and thriving without "outside help". In fact we would be free to THRIVE and make our own economical decisions and global commerce alliances without the constraints of federal goals and interests.

I want to ask why Quebec has been a have-not province since 1957, 65 years. They get the lions' share of equalization payments but have not employed the necessary development strategies to bring them out of it. Quebec had the audacity to declare they had a $496 million dollar SURPLUS just last month Oct 2022.

Canada presently stinks to high heaven.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:49 PM

318 posts, read 177,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
OP. this is not about the Liberal Party and Trudeau in particular.It is definitely not new.It is a long standing arrogance of the feds toward prairies provinces which brought to bear western alienation and has existed since 1867.

To think that the Prairie provinces would secede to the USA is nonsense. There would be no reason to and frankly it's highly repugnant. The Prairies are perfectly capable of operating and thriving without "outside help". In fact we would be free to THRIVE and make our own economical decisions and global commerce alliances without the constraints of federal goals and interests.

I want to ask why Quebec has been a have-not province since 1957, 65 years. They get the lions' share of equalization payments but have not employed the necessary development strategies to bring them out of it. Quebec had the audacity to declare they had a $496 million dollar SURPLUS just last month Oct 2022.

Canada presently stinks to high heaven.
I agree with everything you just said. I am a big proponent of separation and I do not want annexation to the U.S. Why leave one frying pan for another? I think the West could stand on its own two feet just fine.

I know so many here in the West look at Pierre Poiliviere as a beacon of hope to change things but I don't think he will be able to do as much as people hope because he still needs to keep Eastern support to hold govt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada