Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 08:52 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times

Advertisements

Did the GST cause a recession in Canada, as some people claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 11:50 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,034,903 times
My son texted me the news last night of the passing of Brian Mulroney.I vividly remember when he was elected and his service to Canada!
Rest in Peace Brian Mulroney!

Old 03-01-2024, 12:07 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I remember seeing him on TV with President Reagan. As far as I know, they got along well.
Him, Thatcher and Reagan were sort of like the 3 amigos in the 80s. All heavily responsible for the world’s transition to free trade and neoliberal economics. Important era, seeing the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Soviet Union

Old 03-01-2024, 12:48 PM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Did the GST cause a recession in Canada, as some people claim?
I'd argue no. The US and other western countries went through recessions at the same time (1991) and they didn't have a new GST.

What the GST did was it allowed Canada to get out of budget deficits that it had been saddled with at least three straight decades or more without ever going into the black.

Mulroney left power not long after the GST was implemented but a couple of years later Canada started balancing its budget and by the latter half of the 1990s Canada was posting budget surpluses.

This lasted until the recession around 2008 where we dipped into the red again. (Stephen Harper also reduced the GST from 7% to 5% in spite of financial pressures on the government.)

Towards the end of his time as PM Harper did get Canada back in the black but in 2015 Justin Trudeau returned us to deficit spending, and said the famous phrase: "the budget will balance itself".

Old 03-02-2024, 06:50 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Default I started this as another thread

From modest beginnings, Brian Mulroney rose to transform Canada (link)

I woke up this morning. The first thing I sa was the obituary of Brian Mulroney. Until I read Stevie Cameron's excellent book about Brian Mulroney, On the Take, most Mulroney coverage was favorable. During the Reagan era he got rather good press. From what I gather from that book and talking to Canadians he was a mixed bag.

Still I'm sorry to see him go.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:41 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
From modest beginnings, Brian Mulroney rose to transform Canada (link)

I woke up this morning. The first thing I sa was the obituary of Brian Mulroney. Until I read Stevie Cameron's excellent book about Brian Mulroney, On the Take, most Mulroney coverage was favorable. During the Reagan era he got rather good press. From what I gather from that book and talking to Canadians he was a mixed bag.

Still I'm sorry to see him go.
I’m a small l liberal. I’m not a fan of neoliberal economics and privatization so he wasn’t my favourite, but none of his successors have strayed too far from that path. That’s just the way the world economy is nowadays. I preferred Joe Clark’s style of conservatism but the PCs merged with the Canadian Alliance, the more populist right party in the early 2000s and that wing of the party is all but dead. The PCs had a massive defeat in the 93 election, but the 90s were a tough time economically for a lot of Canadians and more than anything we wanted a change in leadership. I don’t think he was a bad guy, just different political views. Being a Francophone Quebecer of Irish descent and a conservative he spoke to a lot of people and ultimately probably helped keep our country together during the height of Quebec separatism.

Old 03-02-2024, 10:53 AM

I wonder if Mulroney was the only Conservative PM to be completely bilingual.

Old 03-02-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I’m a small l liberal. I’m not a fan of neoliberal economics and privatization so he wasn’t my favourite, but none of his successors have strayed too far from that path. That’s just the way the world economy is nowadays. I preferred Joe Clark’s style of conservatism but the PCs merged with the Canadian Alliance, the more populist right party in the early 2000s and that wing of the party is all but dead. The PCs had a massive defeat in the 93 election, but the 90s were a tough time economically for a lot of Canadians and more than anything we wanted a change in leadership. I don’t think he was a bad guy, just different political views. Being a Francophone Quebecer of Irish descent and a conservative he spoke to a lot of people and ultimately probably helped keep our country together during the height of Quebec separatism.
Joe Clark emphasized the “Progressive” in “Progressive Conservative”?

Old 03-02-2024, 11:50 AM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
I wonder if Mulroney was the only Conservative PM to be completely bilingual.
Unaccented yes, but Stephen Harper was very bilingual even if he had a big anglo accent.

Joe Clark was bilingual too but not as good as Harper.

Pierre Poilievre is in between Harper and Mulroney.

Old 03-02-2024, 02:22 PM

2,390 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Unaccented yes, but Stephen Harper was very bilingual even if he had a big anglo accent.

Joe Clark was bilingual too but not as good as Harper.

Pierre Poilievre is in between Harper and Mulroney.
If I remember correctly Harper wasn’t always so bilingual but worked very hard to become so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada