Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 03:15 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,445,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
"Why don't you give par for our dollars even though the banks are only buying at 78 cents on the dollar"
"why don't you accept Interact??"
"why don't you accept Canadian?"
"why don't you carry **Canadian product**?"

I have yet to encounter a US citizen going into Canada and demanding these things.
It happens all the time. I used to work in tourism in Vancouver - it happened daily.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:22 PM

482 posts, read 2,419,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
That would entail a two or three day drive across the USA, and I'd have to leave my concealed carry pistol at home, since I cannot take it to Canada, I cannot even leave it stored at a border checkpoint to pick up on my way home.

I've been to Canada over a dozen times, and narrowly escaped being mugged a number of times (at least I thought it was going to close to coming to that)- I've never had anything less than a knife on me, but with the way crime is in Canada these days, there are some places I wouldn't go to without tactical body armor and an AR-15.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Calgary is basically becoming a gang infested nightmare. It's no Cleveland of Canada, but it's basically getting there (it won't be long before it gets a murder every day or every two days).
Its all relative... If you're like the majority of folks in Calgary, who've moved here from a small town in some have-not province, yes Calgary is a fast paced, rude, drug and gang infested nightmare. If you've moved here from NYC, Toronto, London, Paris, etc. that it really is a charming little town with an easy going pace, with zero graffiti, polite people, and where drivers are so deferential to pedestrians that it borders on the ridiculous.

I do agree wholeheartedly about conceal carry handguns though... Canada should have a stringent process in place where it is possible to have the same here. Technically we do have "police issue" conceal carry but you need to be approved for it all the way at the MP level, so its basically a "who you know, how much did you donate last campaign" thing. Canadians I'm afraid will learn the hard way that taking away peoples right to defend themselves never leads to good...

Old 01-28-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Do they do bull-fighting?
Nope, but they have a full rodeo that is one of the biggest in the world as well as chuck wagon racing which is pretty brutal and bloody if I must say so...

Old 01-28-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
It happens all the time. I used to work in tourism in Vancouver - it happened daily.
Agreed. Happens on both sides... "Do you take American?" or "Do you take Discover?" (no Discover cards in Canada)... I just find it stupid that we can't have a North American wide debit/credit transaction system. Canada is switching over to "Chip Cards" right now with Credit Card PIN Numbers instead of signatures and I don't see that going well without the US also switching...

As for Interac, it's absolutely huge in Canada. Many folks don't even carry cash anymore. A store without Interac will lose considerable business...

Old 01-31-2009, 02:26 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You're right. They'll never learn to speak properly.
Lol you're absolutely correct! Since the Canadian standard of "proper," consists of excessive use of "eh?" and "buddy," and pronouncing words comically like "oot and aboot," you couldn't be more on point in your assessment. Americans will never "learn" to speak like that. Unless of course we are telling jokes. LMAO

Old 01-31-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Lol you're absolutely correct! Since the Canadian standard of "proper," consists of excessive use of "eh?" and "buddy," and pronouncing words comically like "oot and aboot," you couldn't be more on point in your assessment. Americans will never "learn" to speak like that. Unless of course we are telling jokes. LMAO
Is there even such a mythical place anywhere in the world where they speak "proper" English? One of the reasons English is the de facto world language is because it is so flexible yet people can understand each other passably. Look at India with many different languages but the common language between the different peoples being English... Same in Africa where most urban dwellers know their own native language as well as passable English. Different English than that spoken in the US mind you, but an American wouldn't have much trouble understanding...

Old 01-31-2009, 03:20 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Check your facts.

Upper and Lower Canada were brought into existance in 1791. Upper Canada being primarily English and Lower Canada being primarily French. The peace was brokered in Belgium, and Napoleon was in exile on Elba while the war took place, and didn't escape until just after the Treaty of Ghent was signed. The US sacked York, but couldn't hold any territory. On the signing of the treaty, the US had lands returned to them.

Sorry for the thread-jack
It was still a British colony at the time of the war, and never even gained independence until much much later. Napoleon was not yet in exile in 1812, and had the Americans joined his side, the British would have had to fight a two front war, and the coalitions would have failed. Why do you think Russia brokered the peace between the US and Britain? They needed Britain to help fend off Napoleon, who could not launch a campaign while in exile.

And for the record, there was no point in holding the smoldering remains of the Canadian capital

Put that down in the pros and cons list; Canadians only learn part of their history. And in retrospect, perhaps we should have given Detroit to the Canadians .

Old 01-31-2009, 05:26 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Canada is sort of like a Ned Flanders version of the United States. Everything is goody goody but you just know they yearn for the day when they can pronounce their judgement on you.

When dealing with lots of Canadians, I definitely get a sense that there is a strong hatred of America and conservative/individualist values, engrained deeply in Canadian culture and education. It is almost part of their mentality. My father often said that most Canadians would kill us if they had the chance.
I agree that there does seem to be a lot of animosity coming from our neighbors up North. I don't know how often it comes as a result of ignorant Americans molding that opinion of theirs, but I do know that I, personally never had anything against Canadians in any way until I came across a lot of that kind of attitude.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:36 PM

I would not say most people in Canada want to move to the US, but that many Canadians would like the option to explore moving to the US one day... Most Canadians I find ARE chauvinistic about the US though... If Canadians were gung-ho about moving to the US, you would have a large illegal immigration problem of Canadians in the US and I just don't see that happening no matter what happens...

Old 02-01-2009, 09:50 AM

1,009 posts, read 875,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
I would not say most people in Canada want to move to the US, but that many Canadians would like the option to explore moving to the US one day... Most Canadians I find ARE chauvinistic about the US though... If Canadians were gung-ho about moving to the US, you would have a large illegal immigration problem of Canadians in the US and I just don't see that happening no matter what happens...

If they came illegally they would be in the same boat a lot of the Mexicans are in, stuck doing crap jobs for crap wages, albeit paid in cash, under the table, without having to worry about taxes.

I also would tend to believe that Canadians are more orderly people who have a greater respect for law and order, for whatever reason, than Mexicans who come from a country where there is such an all-pervasive culture of corruption and blatant disregard for the law by everybody from politicians, to cartels, to the police themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada