Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 10:22 AM

793 posts, read 1,454,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsklm View Post
We live longer.

Our live birth rate is higher...hmm wonder if the first two have anything to do with health care.

Are more respected on world stage.

We can travel and not have to pretend not to be Canadian.

We are not gun crazy, our crime stats are much better.

Ranked higher than the US in the overal best places to live according to UNESCO and other world stats.

Gee I think that says it all!!!
Live Longer? Correct

Live Birth Rate? Every country calculates infant mortality differently. Anyone who tries to compare basic statistics without looking deeper really does not have a very good understanding of healthcare statistics. For example premature births are included in the US statistics and not Canada, so how can you compare the two?

More respected on the world stage? According to who? You? Economics and Innovation are two areas that the US is more respected than Canada.

Travel? I travel on my US Passport all the time, no issues here. It is not that I do not have a choice, I am a citizen of 4 countries and hold 4 passports and choose to keep my US active and travel with it. I do hear some wisecracks here and there when I am in Europe especially, but it is all in good fun.

Gun Crazy? Yes the US is a little too gun obsessed (highest gun ownership per capita in the world) and I personally choose to live in a state that has pretty much as tough guns laws as Ontario (I am from TO originally)

Crime Statistics? Yes homicide rate is not even close between the two countries, and it is embarrassing how bad certain cities are in the US. With that being said though, the Sexual Assault rate in Canada is substantially higher than the US, I guess the only way to measure crime is homicide?

Ranked higher than the US in the overal best places to live according to UNESCO and other world stats? These Lists are great for people who cling to studies based on preference and not facts, and would rather base their opinion on a country or city on an internet site and not actually living or visiting there. Whenever I see those lists I just have to laugh, because they are filled with countries and cities I would never move to.

Going back to the Healthcare argument for a second. The WHO ranked Canada as 30th in the world for overall healthcare systems. This is from a study that favored Universal models over the alternative like the US. The US ranked 37th, which is deplorable, but basically you are proud of being a few slots higher? Talk about striving for mediocrity! So yes I concede your crappy system is a little bit less crappier than the US system, way to reach for the stars there corky.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 14,526 times
LOL Nicely put Cart

I agree with you too, when it comes to innovation and especially technology, canada lags behind the US hands down. Thank the crtc for that

Old 11-15-2009, 11:45 AM

233 posts, read 752,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millsklm View Post
We live longer.

Our live birth rate is higher...hmm wonder if the first two have anything to do with health care.

Are more respected on world stage.

We can travel and not have to pretend not to be Canadian.

We are not gun crazy, our crime stats are much better.

Ranked higher than the US in the overal best places to live according to UNESCO and other world stats.

Gee I think that says it all!!!
Healthcare and guns I can agree with the others are the typical way Canadians view themselves. While countries like the U.S., France, England etc. will point out their contributions to innovation, culture or history Canadians will point to a U.N. study as to what's great about their homeland. The notion that Canadians are inherently more peaceful is the funniest to me. You are human beings are you not? Stuck with the same jealousy, greed, and ugliness that all humans are capable of. If you had the option of being aggressive due to a large military or grander power on the world stage, trust me, you would be a less "peaceful" country. However that is not an option for Canada so Canada is not a threat to the world and the world is not threatened by Canada-but to pretend that the people of Canada are just more peaceful/highly evolved humans is a ridiculous notion.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
Healthcare and guns I can agree with the others are the typical way Canadians view themselves. While countries like the U.S., France, England etc. will point out their contributions to innovation, culture or history Canadians will point to a U.N. study as to what's great about their homeland. The notion that Canadians are inherently more peaceful is the funniest to me. You are human beings are you not? Stuck with the same jealousy, greed, and ugliness that all humans are capable of. If you had the option of being aggressive due to a large military or grander power on the world stage, trust me, you would be a less "peaceful" country. However that is not an option for Canada so Canada is not a threat to the world and the world is not threatened by Canada-but to pretend that the people of Canada are just more peaceful/highly evolved humans is a ridiculous notion.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:32 PM

741 posts, read 2,782,233 times
I guess that's why Canada can't keep it's best and brightest and they can just drive 1 1/2 hours and earn 3 times their salary down the US, never mind the immigrants who stay there temporarily and at first chance go jump across the 49th parallel if they have the opportunity...

Crime statistics? All relative... things are safer in Fort Collins CO, than Abbotsford BC.

I dealt with more Crime and property theft BS in Winnipeg than where I live in DC now... so your point is meaningless...

Ah yes best places to live in the world... let's all go to Norway... or some other Scandinavian country heck cause they're number one after all??? Yes great place to visit... fact I plan on it... live there... you must be joking...

Canada is more respected around the world... so what... you don't see them leading anything these days... do you???

You think more foreign nations care about what Harper says than OBAMA??? Well there you go. If you want to be #1 then go control the world stage and try to influence world policy and put your money where your mouth is. otherwise just stay like Switzerland and don't put up when it counts and stay happy and neutral.

Look dude... who cares... be happy with what you got.. but don't go on this moral high horse saying things in Canada are better. If they were we'd all move there (until we elect maybe Bush II)...

oh people are gun crazy... oh woo woo... who cares they don't live anywhere near me and they want to defend themselves more f'''ing power to them.. who cares... go take a stroll in rural Canada with some people who own guns, it might waken your mind...

I can pull moral statistics about Canada that are shocking and abhorrent just as anyone can about the US.. neither is a paradise or a utopia...

Old 11-15-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakawhat View Post
I guess that's why Canada can't keep it's best and brightest and they can just drive 1 1/2 hours and earn 3 times their salary down the US, never mind the immigrants who stay there temporarily and at first chance go jump across the 49th parallel if they have the opportunity...

Crime statistics? All relative... things are safer in Fort Collins CO, than Abbotsford BC.

I dealt with more Crime and property theft BS in Winnipeg than where I live in DC now... so your point is meaningless...

Ah yes best places to live in the world... let's all go to Norway... or some other Scandinavian country heck cause they're number one after all??? Yes great place to visit... fact I plan on it... live there... you must be joking...

Canada is more respected around the world... so what... you don't see them leading anything these days... do you???

You think more foreign nations care about what Harper says than OBAMA??? Well there you go. If you want to be #1 then go control the world stage and try to influence world policy and put your money where your mouth is. otherwise just stay like Switzerland and don't put up when it counts and stay happy and neutral.

Look dude... who cares... be happy with what you got.. but don't go on this moral high horse saying things in Canada are better. If they were we'd all move there (until we elect maybe Bush II)...

oh people are gun crazy... oh woo woo... who cares they don't live anywhere near me and they want to defend themselves more f'''ing power to them.. who cares... go take a stroll in rural Canada with some people who own guns, it might waken your mind...

I can pull moral statistics about Canada that are shocking and abhorrent just as anyone can about the US.. neither is a paradise or a utopia...

Old 11-15-2009, 04:28 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,591,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
T you failed to mention that there no Capital Gains Taxes on the sale of a principle residence, so all appreciated value you gain from the sale of home is tax free.
In the USA, you'd have to make a TON of money on a house to pay the capital gains tax. And when we sold our house in DC we made over 200,000 and we did not pay a capital gains tax on the profit.

All of it went where WE WANTED IT TO GO.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:36 PM

[quote=smakawhat;11553200
- Where's my health care?

That's a general idea, however it's not the be all end all. All areas of the country have different thoughts both in Canada and the US that have these characteristics.[/QUOTE]

Universal health insurance does not equate CARE. And if you need a doctor in Canada, drive to the US to find him/her. Thank DOG the Senate is standing firm.

Does that mean the US shouldn't have reform re: health insurance? No. They need to allow us to buy our plans across state lines and allow CAPITALISM to work. Crap service? Don't buy.

Like in Holland, the service industry is subsidized by the wages of the gov't. Makes for crappy table service. In the USA, we can choose not to tip or not to have that waiter/waitress if the service is crap.

Same should be true for our insurance... and make the doctors/hospitals give us estimates and line item check it all and quality check it all...

Get rid of Malpractice too...

Be smart consumers...

Old 11-15-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggo View Post
TotalEclipseoftheBrain is more like it.
What an "intelligent" response ... one totally expected

Old 11-15-2009, 04:43 PM

PS... technically I could have a Canadian Passport, but I don't. I have no fears traveling as an American in the world. Most Americans, unless they are fearful immigrants, would not be ashamed of their heritage. They would go down fighting anybody after them... kinda like the people on the 9/11 flight that crashed into PA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada