Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:27 PM

482 posts, read 2,419,463 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone else thinks that Canada in general is a ripoff??? I love Canada and all, but when you compare the cost for just about anything from fresh food to gasoline to going out, it doesn't compare to the US or even Europe for many things... I find we get less value for our dollar and we pay more for lesser quality... I won't even mention the housing costs... It's as if the country is still priced for a Canadian dollar valued at $0.65 US... What's the problem with Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 10:21 PM

156 posts, read 641,676 times
I've noticed similar things. I think often, its not that Canada is a rip off, but because countries like the US are struggling to an extent with their economy. Not as bad as the UK or anything, but it almost seems as if they don't have a choice but to reduce costs on certain things in order to maintain stability.

Plus, we got free healthcare up here; personally, I wouldn't trade that for the world, and that, to me, is the most important plus, and kind of evens things out if you ask me. Plus, school in the US seems to be a lot more than up here as well

Old 08-20-2008, 10:53 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stotan88 View Post
Plus, we got free healthcare up here; personally, I wouldn't trade that for the world, and that, to me, is the most important plus, and kind of evens things out if you ask me. Plus, school in the US seems to be a lot more than up here as well
Uhh, it's not free. You pay out the butt in taxes for it. State Universities are comparable cost wise for in state students to Canadian schools.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:22 PM

175 posts, read 1,592,903 times
I think food is Europe is even more expensive. Gasoline is about twice the price in EU countries while in Canada it is about 20-25% higher.

In terms of housing price, Vancouver may be overpriced, but not compared to CA or FL. In other cities, it is generally more affordable than their US counterparts.

In general, if you compare prices based on a larger sample of countries, it is the US which is exceptionally cheap, not that Canada is exceptionally expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Just wondering if anyone else thinks that Canada in general is a ripoff??? I love Canada and all, but when you compare the cost for just about anything from fresh food to gasoline to going out, it doesn't compare to the US or even Europe for many things... I find we get less value for our dollar and we pay more for lesser quality... I won't even mention the housing costs... It's as if the country is still priced for a Canadian dollar valued at $0.65 US... What's the problem with Canada?

Old 08-20-2008, 06:27 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Uhh, it's not free. You pay out the butt in taxes for it. State Universities are comparable cost wise for in state students to Canadian schools.
I was going to say the same thing.

Not saying I'm against universal healthcare, but it's definitely not free.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:34 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,357 times
Every time someone here in Fargo whines about gas prices I tell them to check out the pumps in Canada.

On a side note: How much of Canada's tax dollars go to health care?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:36 PM

482 posts, read 2,419,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanusc View Post
I think food is Europe is even more expensive. Gasoline is about twice the price in EU countries while in Canada it is about 20-25% higher.

In terms of housing price, Vancouver may be overpriced, but not compared to CA or FL. In other cities, it is generally more affordable than their US counterparts.

In general, if you compare prices based on a larger sample of countries, it is the US which is exceptionally cheap, not that Canada is exceptionally expensive.
Food in Europe is generally of better quality IMHO, and if you compare apples to apples (literally and figuratively) I would say Europe has the better food deal.

As for European fuel prices, at least they have an excellent transit system in most countries as an alternative... Most transit infrastructure in Canada is solely lacking, even compared to the US.

As for US vs. Canada housing prices take a look at this Alberta Real Estate Watch: Dare to Compare . Seattle is 1/2 the cost of Vancouver. Denver is 1/2 the cost of Calgary, etc.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:25 PM

175 posts, read 1,592,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Food in Europe is generally of better quality IMHO, and if you compare apples to apples (literally and figuratively) I would say Europe has the better food deal.

As for European fuel prices, at least they have an excellent transit system in most countries as an alternative... Most transit infrastructure in Canada is solely lacking, even compared to the US.

As for US vs. Canada housing prices take a look at this Alberta Real Estate Watch: Dare to Compare . Seattle is 1/2 the cost of Vancouver. Denver is 1/2 the cost of Calgary, etc.
Honestly, I don't think it is fair to compare Vancouver with Seattle, or Calgary with Denver, despite the seemingly size similarity. Vancouver and Calgary are both among the largest 5 cities in Canada, while Seattle and Denver bear much less importance. Comparing with San Francisco and Chicago will be more appropriate.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:42 PM

217 posts, read 346,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stotan88 View Post
I've noticed similar things. I think often, its not that Canada is a rip off, but because countries like the US are struggling to an extent with their economy. Not as bad as the UK or anything, but it almost seems as if they don't have a choice but to reduce costs on certain things in order to maintain stability.

When will people understand..... healthcare in Canada is not free, you pay for it with your extremely high taxes!!!!! and the service is much worse than it is in the US.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:23 PM

136 posts, read 894,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galloway View Post
and the service is much worse than it is in the US.
If you can afford good insurance down there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada