Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Acajack and all:

Ok here goes. In my usual reveries, I, an American, always play with the idea of retiring North to Quebec. This is fantasy right now. Would love the pros and cons. There's ONE thing which holds me back but I don't want to bias anybody who is nice enough to let me know what's what up there and the complete lowdown in 'New France'. And please note I think I am a reasonable man, a humorous man, I get along with many people. Anything else I need? Merci!
If I get this straight, you are looking for a list of pros and cons? I will give it some thought, but it would help if we knew what it is you like to do. Is there something in particular (related to your place of residence) that you can't live without?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 09:40 AM

For starters, I don't believe you can actually retire to Canada unless you are independently wealthy (or something like that) and have money to start up a business or something. This is probably related to our social programs like Medicare that seniors tend to use more than younger people.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Acajack and all:

Ok here goes. In my usual reveries, I, an American, always play with the idea of retiring North to Quebec. This is fantasy right now. Would love the pros and cons. There's ONE thing which holds me back but I don't want to bias anybody who is nice enough to let me know what's what up there and the complete lowdown in 'New France'. And please note I think I am a reasonable man, a humorous man, I get along with many people. Anything else I need? Merci!
If you are retiring in Quebec (Montreal?) and dont mind winter and a predominance of the French language i cant think of any cons you'd encounter to living in Quebec.
My rants about the governments needless language laws shouldnt in any way cast aspersions on the quality and character of the Quebec people,their cultures or the fantastic geography. Maybe its time to take a vacation to your future home..eh

Old 08-22-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you are retiring in Quebec (Montreal?) and dont mind winter and a predominance of the French language i cant think of any cons you'd encounter to living in Quebec.
My rants about the governments needless language laws shouldnt in any way cast aspersions on the quality and character of the Quebec people,their cultures or the fantastic geography. Maybe its time to take a vacation to your future home..eh
I think he just did this summer!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:28 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
acajack

Quote:
For starters, I don't believe you can actually retire to Canada unless you are independently wealthy (or something like that) and have money to start up a business or something. This is probably related to our social programs like Medicare that seniors tend to use more than younger people.
heheh..Well I don't have a trust fund, eh? But see? That's why my reveries for the Quebec are simply pure fantasy! I had a feeling something like that right off the bat messes things up.

jambo

Quote:
Well you said alot there and you noted the big bugaboo for me and that is the c.........o..........l..........d.......!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Chances are most of the time it goes below 15, right? You know I don't think I could take it but perhaps I'm speaking to soon because I personally have not experienced Quebec in winter. I think I should to get this out of my system, eh?

The reason that I enjoy Quebec so much is that it does have a tremendous sense of tradition, history and culture and I can see it is revered. I admire that very much, the idea to revere who and what went before. And all that certainly contributes to our attitudes about Quebec and how we are enthraled by it. We smell history in the air. And I could 'see' Louis XIV in the Place Royale...;-)....

You see where I live there are signs that the town was founded in 1665. But I believe it is simply lip-service. The signs
noting that are decrepit so that's my evidence. The relics of the past have all been knocked down in the name of modernity.
People for the most part don't care. The past doesn't mean anything to them. Not exactly what I'd like to see but there you go.

And really you don't have to worry about the 'rants' and its possibility of casting 'aspersions'. Never has, never will. I could tell you alot more of our experiences that I had with everybody we came into contact with during our early summer stay but you'd probably get bored with all the accolades. In fact, we are planning to go up again shortly and meet with some who we met along the way. Great people is what I can say. I am glad that we can all find beautiful common ground there. 10 hrs iosn't too long on the trail to get up there and have life-changing experiences with those in Quebec!

Old 08-22-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
acajack

heheh..Well I don't have a trust fund, eh? But see? That's why my reveries for the Quebec are simply pure fantasy! I had a feeling something like that right off the bat messes things up.

jambo

Well you said alot there and you noted the big bugaboo for me and that is the c.........o..........l..........d.......!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Chances are most of the time it goes below 15, right?
Are you talking F or C?

Quebec City would be -7C or about 20F during the day in the winter and around -18 C or 0 F at night.

These are of course averages and winter temperatures are quite variable, and you might get a few days where it's slightly above the freezing mark. And then a few weeks later the daily high might not rise above -20 C or -5 F.

Montreal is generally a few degrees milder than Quebec City, and when it comes to extreme nighttime lows can sometimes be a good 10 C milder than Quebec City.

Playing a bit loose with the numbers and conversions here but Montreal would more around -5 C or 25F during the day and around -12 C or 10 F at night on average in the winter.

Have you ever been to a ski resort that has enough cold and snow that's it's open the entire winter? If so then imagine living in that type of weather every day for about three months. It should give you an idea.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:15 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
Quote:
Are you talking F or C?

Quebec City would be -7C or about 20F during the day in the winter and around -18 C or 0 F at night.

I used F. hmmm...20F is interesting. I thought it would be much colder on average. As noted, I really should come to visit in the winter for a while. Thanks.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I used F. hmmm...20F is interesting. I thought it would be much colder on average. As noted, I really should come to visit in the winter for a while. Thanks.
That's the overnight low, usually reached around 5 am or so in the winter.

Generally, the typical winter weather pattern is cloudy with snow flurries or a bigger snowfall with temperatures just below the freezing mark, followed by bright sunny skies with significantly colder temperatures for a few days, and then it starts up again with the clouds and snowflakes, and so on...

Generally the colder and sunny periods tend to be quite a bit longer than the cloudy snowy ones.

Winter sunshine hours tend to be lower because the days are shorter with the earlier sunsets and later sunrises, but in the winter a strong majority of days will be sunny. But cold of course. And very very bright because of the sun's reflection off the snow.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:28 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
You could do the reverse snowbird thing and come up for the summer and return to where you are now for the winter,Youd eliminate the immigration procedure that way, although winter aint so bad 3 million of us deal with it.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-22-2013 at 02:36 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 04:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:

As noted, I really should come to visit in the winter for a while.
Good idea, and you can stay at the Ice Hotel to see if you can bear it.

Be forewarned, however. Sometimes it gets so cold here that conversation is impossible. Your words freeze as soon as they leave your mouth, to shatter on the pavement below. You should hear the cacophony in the springtime, when all the words start thawing out. It's enough to induce a migraine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada