Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 05:47 PM

79 posts, read 320,231 times

Advertisements

I love that Winnipeg is rated so high for all the bad rep it gets. I found it a nice place myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 08:05 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggins View Post
I love that Winnipeg is rated so high for all the bad rep it gets. I found it a nice place myself.
I was also surprised about Winterpeg. Not surprised at how low Toronto is on the list (don't flame me. I used to be a Torontonian). I'm even more surprised that Montreal is ranked much lower than T-dot. I wish I could afford Victoria. Better yet. Wish I could afford to live in Ottawa during the warmer months and winter in Victoria..

Old 09-15-2009, 02:29 AM

237 posts, read 871,016 times
Why was Estevan ranked behind Toronto ?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:15 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,233,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I was also surprised about Winterpeg. Not surprised at how low Toronto is on the list (don't flame me. I used to be a Torontonian). I'm even more surprised that Montreal is ranked much lower than T-dot. I wish I could afford Victoria. Better yet. Wish I could afford to live in Ottawa during the warmer months and winter in Victoria..
Victoria's not all it's cracked up to be in my opinion...I lived there 3 years from 2004 to 2007 and that was more than enough. To me it was too cold in the very short summer, very grey and rainy (Vancouver Island is a rainforest afterall) in the winter and although the island is very beautiful, it's weird to live in a place that it takes so long to get to the mainland from. I know it's only 1 1/2 hours, but you have to be at the ferry 1 hour (at least) in advance, and the loading and unloading takes so long and then the traffic coming off at the other end is crazy (and it's very expensive). I won't go back to live for anything....give me winter anytime over that weather!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:34 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,730,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
... it's weird to live in a place that it takes so long to get to the mainland from. I know it's only 1 1/2 hours, but you have to be at the ferry 1 hour (at least) in advance, and the loading and unloading takes so long and then the traffic coming off at the other end is crazy (and it's very expensive)
Oh yes, good old BC Ferries. Great boats and all but the whole trek is enough to drive you mad. Two sailing waits sometimes. You have to be the type of person to be able to just roll with it, like my hubby's not. Type-A ex-Montrealer of Italian-descent, all the wrong characteristics for rolling with anything, especially BC Feries. We're moving back to Canada next year and that's the one thing keeping us off the Island. The fact that I'd be visiting my hubby in jail after he'd be convicted of strangling the life out of a ferry worker He had a couple of ... um ... heated exchanges with them when we lived there. They did have a bit of an "attitude".

But yes, the Island is gorgeous. Definitely not the weather though. Vancouver was wetter even, especially West Van.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:27 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,233,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Two sailing waits sometimes. You have to be the type of person to be able to just roll with it, like my hubby's not. Type-A ex-Montrealer of Italian-descent, all the wrong characteristics for rolling with anything, especially BC Feries. We're moving back to Canada next year and that's the one thing keeping us off the Island. The fact that I'd be visiting my hubby in jail after he'd be convicted of strangling the life out of a ferry worker He had a couple of ... um ... heated exchanges with them when we lived there. They did have a bit of an "attitude".

But yes, the Island is gorgeous. Definitely not the weather though. Vancouver was wetter even, especially West Van.
I now live in AZ but drove back to Vancouver Island a year ago and when I arrived at the feries in Vancouver (after driving 1500 miles) they told me there was a 4 sailing wait (due to one boat being out of commission). I was so tired that I wanted to cry or throw a temper tantrum. It was a nightmare for me...I never want to rely on them again...good old highways work best for me.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:26 AM

17 posts, read 77,832 times
I live on the Island now , I was from the Vancouver area, and after 2 years here now, I don't even want to go to the mainland, everything you need is here, and by the way, you can reserve a spot on the ferry when you plan ahead, or if you need to be in Vancouver quickly take harbour air, it goes from downtown Vic to Van in 20 minutes....i have used it a few times, sorry ,but in my job I travel all across Canada, and everytime I come home to Vic on a february afternoon, and smelling and feeling the floral scented warm air after spending 4 days in minus 15 in Calgary or Toronto, I am very very thankfull....it's very nice you get more sun there, it's just too bad you can't spend more than five minutes out in it before you start getting frost bite.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:29 AM

701 posts, read 1,901,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
it's weird to live in a place that it takes so long to get to the mainland from. I know it's only 1 1/2 hours, but you have to be at the ferry 1 hour (at least) in advance, and the loading and unloading takes so long and then the traffic coming off at the other end is crazy (and it's very expensive). I won't go back to live for anything....give me winter anytime over that weather!
Obviously many hold the view that if a bridge is built between the island and the mainland, "nature" will instantly be destroyed. I guess the same people will think the Golden Gate Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge or the tunnel under English channel is a stupid idea too.
Sometimes evironmentalists make me sick. Why don't they just live in the amazon jungle and never show their faces in human civilization.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:25 PM

17 posts, read 77,832 times
The Enviroment is not what's holding the bridge back, the B.C. government feels it's too expensive to build at the current population numbers on the Island, aparently they will re look at the situation when the Island hits 1 million.....it's at 750,000 right now

Old 01-09-2010, 02:29 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Thanks for that.

Our plans are actually to move to number #3 on the list: Kingston, of all things. We've done some research, we like what we've learned about it. Especially the prices of housing.

I used to live in #4 (Burlington) and #5 (Vancouver).

I'm sure there are a lot of factors looked at for this list, but Victoria is quite expensive, as far as housing. Very pretty, of course, with the whole Island at your footsteps (gorgeous place!) but for many of us, expensive housing is a big minus. Having lived in Vancouver, we don't want to get back into putting most of our disposable income into the roof over our heads. It's rather pointless and frustrating, we learned. There's a whole world out there. It'd be nice to be able to afford to go see some of it!
Kingston is nice. It's been a while since I've been there, but quite a few people from that part of Ontario come to Syracuse and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada