Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 12:58 PM

409 posts, read 1,459,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
Reginald?

I've never met a Reginald in Canada, ever.
I know one guy called "Reg".

Do Americans have as many Liams as we have in Canada? It seems that every elementary class has AT LEAST one Liam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 03:09 PM

19 posts, read 84,409 times
There are a few surnames which are quite common in Quebec but not that much in France. So they sound very Canadian to me (in case it's not clear for everyone yet, Quebec IS and will remain a part of Canada ) :

TREMBLAY
NADEAU
DESJARDINS
LEMIEUX
DION
VILLENEUVE
LEVESQUE
LATENDRESSE
LAVOIE
... and many more

Old 09-18-2009, 07:13 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arny View Post
There are a few surnames which are quite common in Quebec but not that much in France. So they sound very Canadian to me (in case it's not clear for everyone yet, Quebec IS and will remain a part of Canada ) :

TREMBLAY
NADEAU
DESJARDINS
LEMIEUX
DION
VILLENEUVE
LEVESQUE
LATENDRESSE
LAVOIE
... and many more
There are a few reasons for this. The main one is that people in France were just starting to officially take on surnames at the time that the colonists were coming to New France. So often when a person left France for Canada, the name left with them and never got the chance to spread across France.

Another factor are the various influences on surnames that were different in New France/Quebec than they were in France. Here the external influences were mostly Anglo-Irish. So you have names like Phaneuf (Farnsworth), Riel (Riley), Tisdelle (Teasdale), Foulem (Fulham), which are virtually non-existent in France.

You also get aboriginal influences in names in Quebec that you wouldn’t necessarily find in France. Evocative and original surnames in French like Beausoleil and Mercredi are probably the francophone equivalent to names like "Coon Come" and "Two Rivers" that you will find in first nations communities elsewhere in North America.

But still, I would still say that a majority of francophone surnames are common to Quebec and France, with Moreau, Gauthier, Fournier, Dupont, etc. found in great numbers on both sides of the Atlantic.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:47 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There are a few reasons for this. The main one is that people in France were just starting to officially take on surnames at the time that the colonists were coming to New France. So often when a person left France for Canada, the name left with them and never got the chance to spread across France.

Another factor are the various influences on surnames that were different in New France/Quebec than they were in France. Here the external influences were mostly Anglo-Irish. So you have names like Phaneuf (Farnsworth), Riel (Riley), Tisdelle (Teasdale), Foulem (Fulham), which are virtually non-existent in France.

You also get aboriginal influences in names in Quebec that you wouldn’t necessarily find in France. Evocative and original surnames in French like Beausoleil and Mercredi are probably the francophone equivalent to names like "Coon Come" and "Two Rivers" that you will find in first nations communities elsewhere in North America.

But still, I would still say that a majority of francophone surnames are common to Quebec and France, with Moreau, Gauthier, Fournier, Dupont, etc. found in great numbers on both sides of the Atlantic.
Speaking of the surnames you mentioned, one sticks out, Riel. There is a famous Canadian by the name of Louis Riel, who lead the Metis Rebellion.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:57 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post

Do Americans have as many Liams as we have in Canada? It seems that every elementary class has AT LEAST one Liam.
Might have something to do with the "finding one's Irish roots" thing that's very much in fashion in North America and elsewhere.

As for Reginald, I've never met any English-speaking Canadians with that name.

There is a Black Québécois hockey player by the name of Réginald Savage:
Reginald Savage - player profile and career stats

Savage is of Haitian origin I believe.

The short form of Reginald, pronounced "Redj", is widely heard in Quebec, but it's almost always in reference to Réjean (more rarely spelled Régent), which is a very common given name for mean over 50 here.

I've never met or heard of anyone from France named Réjean.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:11 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,445,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post

Liam's just a new baby name trend that started in the past few years... which is why elementary schools are full of them (and Aidan's, and Jaydens and whatevers). It's a name fad, I don't think it's necessarily Canadian though.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Gordon and Heather.

In Newfouindland, two of the most common mens names are Wilfred and Dermot. Wilf and Derm.

When I watch a movie, and they roll the closing credits, I can always tell the pictures that were filmed in Canada by the names of the crew.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:35 PM

285 posts, read 703,475 times
I mentioned a Canadian named Michael Sheffield, and people in the States have commented on how Canadian the name sounds. It never struck me that way.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:36 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
How about "Garth" and "Gord"?

Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,530,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How about "Garth" and "Gord"?
More typical of Canada fourty years ago, I don't know any young people with those names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada