Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:44 AM

109 posts, read 312,335 times

Advertisements

My daughter is 13 and is in the same boat as you. My wife and I are first generation born in the USA. I have Canadian parents and was born in Los Angeles. My wife has a Canadian father and American Mother and she wa born in California too. Our parents never registered our births with the Canadian govvernment. Bill C37 restored our citizenship retroactive to pur birth. However, when our daughter was born, we were not Canadian Citizens, this is per my phone call to Citizenship Immigration Canada. I was informed by CIC, that We can sponsor her as a permanent resident and then apply for Citizenship for her. Bill C37 restored also took away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,380 times
Hello:
I have looked at these post and replies. I am curious about my situation. I was born in Massachusetts in 1975, second generation. My father (my roots tracing back to Canada are only on my father's side) was born in Massachusetts in 1950. My grandfather was born in Nova Scotia in 1903. My father died in 2006, and my grandfather died in 1987. I read about how those who were born in second generation were not allowed citizenship retroactively, if older than 28, but born after 14 February 1977. What about those born before 14 February 1977 that are second generation. My father was older than 24 before I was born, and I honestly believe that my birth was not registered. But I did not find out about my roots until I was 29 close to my 30th birthday and less than 6 months before my fathers passing. In other words just because some of us descendants did not find out about births needing to be registered and applying for citizenship by descent before turning 28 does not mean that we did not want citizenship, everyones situation is different. Also I have read about how first generation born abroad are not eligible if the person born in Canada became a citizen of another country before 1/1/1947 . In other words how are those born in Canada before 1947 suppose to know do not become a citizen of another country until Jan 1st , 1947. Another point Canada on September 22nd, 1988 allowed all Japanese-Canadians and their descendants citizenship if the Japanese-Canadian was deported between 1941 and 1946, regardless of if the person who was deported is still alive or not, to me since those years were before 1947 this created a contradiction on who Canada is retoractively giving citizenship to; although I do not have a problem with those deported being allowed citizenship, because they would have probably been in Canada in 1947 if not deported, but this opens up a philisophical debate we do not know how many of those who were deported would have moved out of Canada before 1947 if they were not deported. This also tells me that Canada allows those they deported before 1947 citizenship, but not those who were born in Canada and not deported.
Since the 1977 citizenship act allowed for indefinite transfer of citizenship should all descendants who were born before 17 April 2009 citizenship. Regardless of the year that the person was born and then left Canada. Also what about those who became citizens of other countries before 1947 however due to no fault of their own moved from Canada (for example born in Canada moved to America as a child), and then enforce new requirements.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:44 PM

109 posts, read 312,335 times
tyr the website: Lost Canadians website, ther are 2 one is Don Chapman's the other is a Social Group and you can get tons of info on it.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:13 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
If I were you I would not bother at all dealing with Canadian Immigration but take your entire file to an immigration lawyer when you are in Van. It will cost you something but it will save you a lot of time effort and tears dealing with the goofs at immigration Canada.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 828 times
So, did you ever get your canadian citizenship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada